Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

7 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

The problem was the previous owner, as I have started many times, didn't do anything with the branding after it was revealed. I live 10 minutes from there and when I worked as an intern in 2015, I had to ask why they were named the Crushers. Some of the FULL TIME employees didn't know the history, and that's not right. The new owner is really great at what he does and he wants to reflect it in the branding. The staff is wonderful and they're on the same page almost every day. 

I did like the branding when it came out, but when you see it often and learn the back story of why those logos were picked, they are not good. The current owner hated the interlocking LE. I didn't mind it in 2-D, but I never liked the 3-D effects on the logo and script. I'm excited for this branding considering I knew about it last season(being an intern and being close with the staff has its perks). 

Well, now the "grapevine" newsletter will finally make sense ;)

This is why I love minor league baseball. So, as I have been reporting, the Crushers are getting new logos on Wednesday. Earlier today, as posted above, they've introduced the purple used in the new logo. I've been going through their post and I noticed something. Last Wednesday, they posted the seven day notice(I believe it's on the previous page) and they had the full color primary and the 7 colored. Going through each day, the number is changed slightly in color to reflect the change into the purple and the current logo is fading behind it each day. If you have time to check it out, please do, it's very interesting. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

1 hour ago, panthers_2012 said:

This is why I love minor league baseball. So, as I have been reporting, the Crushers are getting new logos on Wednesday. Earlier today, as posted above, they've introduced the purple used in the new logo. I've been going through their post and I noticed something. Last Wednesday, they posted the seven day notice(I believe it's on the previous page) and they had the full color primary and the 7 colored. Going through each day, the number is changed slightly in color to reflect the change into the purple and the current logo is fading behind it each day. If you have time to check it out, please do, it's very interesting. 

I noticed the color progression of the numbers from red to purple, didn't notice the logo fading out and the question mark fading in though. Neat little touch! The Frontier League already seems to be a fairly colorful league in terms of the range of teams' color schemes, but a nice splash of purple could only make it better.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

2 hours ago, The Mojo Maniac said:

I noticed the color progression of the numbers from red to purple, didn't notice the logo fading out and the question mark fading in though. Neat little touch! The Frontier League already seems to be a fairly colorful league in terms of the range of teams' color schemes, but a nice splash of purple could only make it better.

I worked with the promotions/marketing director this past season and she probably came up with it. She comes up with great ideas. 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, The Mojo Maniac said:

Those uniforms look good. Was waiting to see them before making a complete final judgment of the rebrand. 

Is that home hat pinstriped to match the jersey? And what color is the road hat exactly?

Yes, the hat is pinstriped and the road hat is grey. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, JaMikePA said:

OOF...that's rough.

Say what you will about the previous branding package (generic, cluttered, poorly executed, etc.) at least it was professional.

This new design just looks downright amateur by comparison. There's so much wrong with the wordmark and "logo" (I feel like quotes here are completely justified as the grape is most definitely an illustration...not a logo) that I feel like I could write a paragraph on each and still not cover everything. Instead, I'll just point out two major observations and let others take a whack at this failure piñata. 

Observation #1 - The wordmark uses at least two different shades of purple for "Lake Erie" and "Crushers". This is not only unnecessary, it also seems to create a weird optical illusion where the purple in the various letters that make up "Crushers" appear to vary in shade and/or saturation.

Observation #2 - The three grapes falling from the bunch hanging from the bat. I don't know why but my eyes keep getting drawn back to them, and every time I can't help but notice what an awful, bumpy, misshapen mess they are. They are clear and undeniable proof that the "logo" was hand drawn and (most likely) untouched by any vector program.

I think this is one of those instances where if the organization had spent a bit more time on the actual design rather than promoting the change they may have ended up with something less embarrassing. 

• Like 3

Just saw a more clear pic on the team's Instagram account. The wordmark that looks less-than-stellar in the primary actually looks good on the pinstriped home jersey--which, itself, looks great. I wonder if those pinstripes are thicker than normal? Because unlike with the Rockies, one can tell from a distance that these pinstripes are purple.

The purple road jersey is simple, but also very nice. The hat, on the other hand, appears to be a charcoal gray (like the D-Backs road unis), which clashes with the "standard" gray pants. I could be wrong, but even the bill appears charcoal gray as well.

As a whole, this identity isn't bad, and while the font in the "primary" could have been better, I think the primary's main problem is that it doesn't "look" like a primary. It's just a wordmark and a mascot thrown together. Strong primaries normally involve stacked elements, placed in a roundel or other outline, or generally condensed and aligned neatly. This primary shows none of that (other than maybe the nestling of "Lake Erie" between the tops of "C" and "h"), and I think that's the main shortcoming.

Panthers, no disrespect. If anything, I think this rebrand hits the mark more than it misses it. Can't wait to see the unis up close!

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

@The Mojo Maniac no worries. When our owner talked to me about it, he was expecting people to bash it. Some of the comments on our FB page are mean and we can't control that. I'm more upset for the people that won't give it a chance. The owner stated before that he didn't want to change the colors and uniforms to make a quick buck... He wanted to embrace the identity that was introduced back in 2009. I wasn't expecting anything mind blowing with the logo and I'm very happy with the logo. Like every logo, it has it issues and you can't make everyone happy. I'm looking forward to this season working with them again and I think the fans will warm up to the new identity. 

spacer.png

Comparing the construction and design of the two hats, I think the one worn with the road unis is a souvenir cap.  It's a low crown cap (not even "5950 low crown but still looks like a game cap", but "souvenir cap low crown") with a pre-curved brim and the full primary logo.  I've never seen a baseball game cap like that.

My other thoughts

Logo - not bad,but the shadow on the nickname is unnecessary.

Home uniform - cap logo is too large, but that's been an issue with Frontier League cap logos for almost two decades (Canton Crocodiles had the same issue), rest of uniform is great

Road uniform - would've preferred a gray jersey with a purple third with "Crushers" on the front, but does anybody in the FL have a gray jersey?, otherwise not bad

9 minutes ago, Cleveland Fan said:

My other thoughts

Logo - not bad,but the shadow on the nickname is unnecessary.

Home uniform - cap logo is too large, but that's been an issue with Frontier League cap logos for almost two decades (Canton Crocodiles had the same issue), rest of uniform is great

Road uniform - would've preferred a gray jersey with a purple third with "Crushers" on the front, but does anybody in the FL have a gray jersey?, otherwise not bad

The dark gray road hat has the full wordmark / logo on it.  Who does that?  Totally looks like a souvenir hat, not an on field hat of a professional baseball team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Invader said:

The dark gray road hat has the full wordmark / logo on it.  Who does that?  Totally looks like a souvenir hat, not an on field hat of a professional baseball team.

The construction is also that of a souvenir cap, as I noted above.  I think the official road cap is yet to be unveiled.

• Like 2