Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

I always liked this bit from Wikipedia:

Timeline of Irish inventions and discoveries

Irish inventions and discoveries are objects, processes or techniques which owe their existence either partially or entirely to an Irish person. Often, things which are discovered for the first time, are also called "inventions", and in many cases, there is no clear line between the two. Below is a list of such inventions.

Pre-history

14th centuryEdit

17th centuryEdit

It took over 200 years before the Irish invented something after the invention of whiskey. I wonder why.... 

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

It took over 200 years before the Irish invented something after the invention of whiskey. I wonder why.... 

300px-Elizabeth_I_(Armada_Portrait).jpg

Gross oversimplification, I know. Still, I’d argue that fending off nascent British imperialism had something to do with it. 

• Like 1

Toledo Mud Hens honor 180th Fighter Wing as Stingers

April 16, 2019 - 22:28 PM

The Toledo Mud Hens will commemorate Military Appreciation Weekend by taking the nickname of the Ohio National Guard’s 180th Fighter Wing—Stingers—as their own for two games June 28 and 29. The 180th Fighter Wing is based out of nearby Swanton, […]

Read More...

49 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

More and more I tend to dislike when minor league teams are either identical to or use their parent club’s colors. Have some originality and at least SOME fun when it comes to your identity.

I feel like this is another rule that needs nuance to be applied. 

Mostly, if we're talking about clubs like the Pawtucket Red Sox, the Staten Island Yankees, or the San Jose Giants; then I get it. Those teams all play in towns where most of the people are fans of the parent club, anyway. Why shouldn't they want to capitalize on that?

But situations like Oklahoma City Dodgers are annoying. Why would anyone from Oklahoma care about the Dodgers? I could maybe see taking cues from the Dodgers uniforms since they are so iconic. But they really could stand to think of a better name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

I feel like this is another rule that needs nuance to be applied. 

Mostly, if we're talking about clubs like the Pawtucket Red Sox, the Staten Island Yankees, or the San Jose Giants; then I get it. Those teams all play in towns where most of the people are fans of the parent club, anyway. Why shouldn't they want to capitalize on that?

But situations like Oklahoma City Dodgers are annoying. Why would anyone from Oklahoma care about the Dodgers? I could maybe see taking cues from the Dodgers uniforms since they are so iconic. But they really could stand to think of a better name.

In saying that, if the minor league team uses the major league name, I think it's important for the team have their own branding that sort of separates the team from their major league team.

Pawtucket is great example of what I'm getting at as their branding is based around bear logos and the team is referred to as the PawSox. You can look at Boston Red Sox shirt and a Pawtucket Red Sox shirt and tell the difference.

(For the record, mark me down as being in favour of MiLB teams having their own identities and not being copies of their MLB affiliate)

IbjBaeE.png

I tend to have a problem with the Orioles minor league teams. They all use the same orange, black, white color scheme. Aside from Norfolk, who know, has a great identity. It gets boring. It pretty much feels and looks like if you’re a player, you’re on the same team your entire time in the Orioles farm system.

36 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

It pretty much feels and looks like if you’re a player, you’re on the same team your entire time in the Orioles farm system.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?  These players are desperate to get to the Show; I think they’re the ones who would most like to identify with the big club.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?  These players are desperate to get to the Show; I think they’re the ones who would most like to identify with the big club.  

I never said it was a bad thing. What I’m saying is, it would do some teams a lot of good to try to differentiate themselves from the parent club. Parent club colors are fine, but at least try a little better than a copy and paste mentality.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed. I know some college baseball players from Missouri State who were drafted, and their twitter bios rarely (if ever) mention the minor league team they happen to be playing for at the time - and even if it did, they'd have to change it whenever they moved to a new team. Instead, it says something like "Pitcher in the Padres system" or "In the Cardinals minor league system." These players may like their minor league teams, they may even enjoy living in those towns, but they identify with the big league club that picked them in the draft and that is developing them as they aim for the big leagues.

• Like 2

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

For example, my hometown Frederick Keys who are part of the Orioles farm system, are partly just late 90s Orioles ripoffs. You’d think for a team named after the National Anthem poet, they’d be a little bit more red, white, and blue and/or musical with their identity. Don’t get me wrong, they have a great professional baseball uniform, but IMO they’re identity is a bit misconstrued.

Someone had said something about how the OKC Dodgers don’t need to be a rip-off of the LA Dodgers and I agree. They can still be named the Dodgers, but they could focus their identity on Rodeo Clowns being bull “Dodgers” or something along those lines. I’d imagine the rodeo scene in Oklahoma is relatively big?

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Someone had said something about how the OKC Dodgers don’t need to be a rip-off of the LA Dodgers and I agree. They can still be named the Dodgers, but they could focus their identity on Rodeo Clowns being bull “Dodgers” or something along those lines.

I would prefer the opposite approach, where minor league teams create their own identities and then tie the design to the parent club.  Like the Buffalo Bisons do, or the old Appleton Foxes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

No doubt their affiliates, but Appleton fans still had an unblemished Foxes legacy that spanned generations. 

Let OKC take a name that means something to OKC, paired with a uniform that reflects the great visual legacy of the Dodgers.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I would prefer the opposite approach, where minor league teams create their own identities and then tie the design to the parent club.  Like the Buffalo Bison do, where they have an unblemished legacy that can span affiliations.   Let OKC take a name that means something to OKC, paired with a uniform that reflects the great visual legacy of the Dodgers.

Not sure why I like this idea, but hate the fact that the Keys applied it to their uniforms. I think what troubles me about Frederick is the poor execution.

Frederick was chosen as the host city for the Carolina League All-Star Game this year. Previous years have featured logos in the style of the host city team’s identity, including color scheme. However, this year the logo design is in red, white, and blue. Clearly someone in the marketing and design department has some sense:

spacer.png

Take note of the Keys script

• Like 2

Asheville Tourists highlight local brewers with Beer City jerseys

April 17, 2019 - 22:02 PM

For the fourth year in a row, the Single-A Asheville Tourists will play a game this season as the Beer City Tourists. The team has played in different uniforms each time they have played in their Beer City uniforms, but […]

Read More...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Let OKC take a name that means something to OKC, paired with a uniform that reflects the great visual legacy of the Dodgers.

They were the 89ers for over 30 seasons.  A name like that is almost perfect for this sort of thing.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dont care said:

Another one?

Another one?? If anything they can stake the claim to beer city, I live here in downtown and there is a brewing district and I kid you not there’s at least a dozen right in the area I can name off the top of my head. Legitimately prob the only thing Asheville is known for, beer!

• Like 2