MLB 2021 Season Thread

Per the ESPN article:

"The plans, announced by MLB on Thursday morning, include an annual tribute in which uniformed personnel will wear a jersey patch celebrating Gehrig, and a "4-ALS" logo -- commemorating his No. 4 -- will be displayed around stadiums. The league will use the occasion to raise money and awareness to battle ALS and pay homage to ALS advocacy groups like the LG4Day committee, which turned an off-the-cuff text into a cause that will bring together the sport."

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 1 and the Twins just had their first implosion of the year.  That's what being a sports fan in Minnesota is all about.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Game 1 and the Wins just had their first implosion of the year.  That's what being a sports fan in Minnesota is all about.

It's Tins... They don't get the 'W' in their name until they can win a playoff game.

Speaking of Opening Day: I can't wait to see the M's disappoint me yet again.

For some reason I didn't think the runner-on-2nd rule for extras was coming back this year.  Glad it is!  (at least today.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

For some reason I didn't think the runner-on-2nd rule for extras was coming back this year.  Glad it is!  (at least today.)

really? I absolutely hated watching the end of the Phillies game, even as a Phillies fan. That rule might just be the worst thing about baseball right now.

All 3 games today that went to extra innings ended as 1-run games in 10 innings in less-than-exciting fashion. It's not making the game better at all. Sure, it's speeding up the game. But anyone who's watched 9 innings of baseball already is absolutely ready to watch a few more. But instead of more baseball, you have this weird game that will inevitably turn into 1-out, runner on 3rd, try to hit a sac fly. That's not baseball.

tinysig.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jake3roo said:

anyone who's watched 9 innings of baseball already is absolutely ready to watch a few more

Oh boy I couldn't disagree more.  Especially if I'm at the game and it's 10:30PM and I just want to go home.  I actually loved the rule last year due to the strategy and drama, and I think I'm going to love it again.  You should be able to time-box your sports time, and not have to deal with a 20-inning game with a backup shortstop pitching to a bewildered relief pitcher who is only batting because the team's borderline-disabled 5th outfielder tore his groin in the on-deck circle.  I'm convinced that the only people that love extra-inning baseball are those that either watch every game alone or are unemployed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I mean I just love baseball, and I will watch as much of it as I can. I love to see a good 12 or 13 inning game end in a walk-off, but the new rules make the 10th inning such that it  makes or breaks you. I'd rather see a team win a game because they strung together a rally in the bottom of the 11th than a team that won because they were able to sac bunt and sac fly better than the other team.

tinysig.jpg

Yeah, I :censored:ing hate the stupid runner on second rule in extras. It cheapens the whole game, basically giving each team a handicap. Dumbest rule they have added in a LONG time. 

Extra inning baseball really cranks up the anticipation to 11, because you never how long it could go for or what could end it. No other OT in sports comes close to that. 

Imagine Football OT for example, where each team starts at the opponent's 20 yard line. So they could easily just kick a FG. 

Not UNI related. But MLB. For those of you who have Bally Sports (They took over for Fox sports through the Disney purchasing and Disney needing to sell off due to a monopoly and Sinclair broadcasting not wanting their name on the channel so they sold the rights to Bally...well anyways...)

What is everyones take on their ticker/in game boxscore? I hate it. It looks like it was designed in 1998 at the beginning of the technology. 

1. It is spaced up unnecessarily from the base of the screen. Wasting valuable space. See all that dead grey space?  
2. Why is everything bold? 
3. Why is everything so big? It can be reduced to 85-90% and still accomplish its task.
4. Why is there an extra outline around the team names? 
5. Why have a white baseball diamond, inside a white square that is empty
6. More empty space to the right in the light grey. This is used for a rotating news ticker. I bring this up. But no MPH of the pitch, etc

What's your opinion?

Ex6Jxw8WQAIO16k.jpg

Bally-Sports-North-Twins-Score-Bar.png

I’m not a fan, either. However, it’s definitely not as bad as a shoot out, in terms of not being true to the game. MLB has a has a problem with the pace of play and the length of games, for sure. But that really needs to be addressed in terms of how a nine inning game is played. I suppose there’s a chance this will help reduce the length of extra inning games, but we will have to see.  But it doesn’t address the real issue at hand.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

7 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Imagine Football OT for example, where each team starts at the opponent's 20 yard line. So they could easily just kick a FG. 

I actually really like the college OT rule, and think that a tweaked version would work well in the NFL.

Imagine taking a date to a movie and not having any idea when it would end.  Movie (let's say Star Wars) starts at 7, and you figure you'll be home banging your date before 10.  Instead, from 9 till 1AM, you're bored to death watching Luke and Darth Vader sitting there having coffee while discussing politics, until all of a sudden the Death Star blows up at 2AM, and you are so tired by that point that you crash your car driving home and kill both of you.  Is that what you want out of sports?  An event that kills its viewers?  That's basically what you're all saying.

Overtime is tricky in most sports in terms of balancing integrity of the game and manageable time. Basketball is really the only major team sport that is in a pretty good position to do it well. Unlimited extra inning games on a Tuesday it’s kind of like the NHL going to unlimited sudden death its regular season. It’s never done that because nobody wants to see it. So what they are doing now provides a lot more digestibility in terms of time. My personal opinion is that the shoot out should go and the possibility of a tie should be reborn. But  I think America is pretty much done with ties, except ironically in the NFL, its most popular sport.  The NFL sacrifices the fairness end of the integrity of the game, where as college sacrifices the “full game “part of it.

Anyway, as a baseball purist, I have to admit that some thing should perhaps he sacrificed in terms of integrity of an extra inning game. I’m not exactly sure what that is, but I would actually lean towards something like a 12 inning maximum and then have a tie. If ties are forbidden then I think the only other options are to keep it how it’s always been or to do something like is being done now.  There are not really any good options

POTD (Shared)

Archived