USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Why wouldn’t the USFL try another option if every other league who had 8 teams in their own cities/stadiums in the spring fell flat? After all, what is the true definition of insanity? They’re playing the long game. Establish yourself first and then get better deals down the line.

XFL 2020 shut down because of COVID. St. Louis, Seattle, Houston, Dallas and basically DC were doing pretty well. If they had been able to finish that season, they probably would've had a second one, which may have involved the franchise changes they've made for this season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, McCall said:

XFL 2020 shut down because of COVID. St. Louis, Seattle, Houston, Dallas and basically DC were doing pretty well. If they had been able to finish that season, they probably would've had a second one, which may have involved the franchise changes they've made for this season.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Perhaps they would have kept going, who knows, but the fact is they didn't. COVID happened, the league shut down and didn't finish a season, didn't crown a champion and didn't come back the next year.

We could play "what-if" all day long. Like if Trump hadn't come along in the original USFL and made the push towards the fall the USFL would still be around today and be a major spring league.

That's the thing...we never know what could have happened, only what did happen.

14 hours ago, McCall said:

That was kinda my whole point. Indigo said attendance is not a "make or break" for them and I was pointing out how they can't survive on that alone, long term, which is why they're building towards having teams in their own markets, which, in turn, will need to average more than the previously suggested 5,000 that Highmark can hold.

Attendance is not make or break short-term wise. Obviously they will eventually need to be able to eventually sustain a crowd, but comparing their numbers to other first-year spring leagues are irrelevant, because the USFL was not worried about attendance last year.

11 hours ago, Skycast said:

We could play "what-if" all day long. Like if Trump hadn't come along in the original USFL and made the push towards the fall the USFL would still be around today and be a major spring league.

Going to make a historical correction here. The USFL was already down bad by the end of the 1983 season. Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, and Washington were disasters. The league approved a six-team expansion for '84 without worrying too much about looking into their new owners, so long as they had the cash on hand for the expansion fee, because they were desperate for money. They were constantly trying to renegotiate their broadcast rights deal from a point of zero leverage. And then Chicago's owner went and traded franchises with Arizona, the new Blitz owner sold off to a doctor in Milwaukee who did not know what he was buying, he unloaded it and suddenly both the Blitz and Federals were league-owned, and... well, I could go on. There are books.

Bottom line, the league was already on fire, and Donald Trump merely drove into it with a tanker full of kerosene. What can I say, guy loves his trucks.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:44 PM, Sodboy13 said:

Going to make a historical correction here. The USFL was already down bad by the end of the 1983 season. Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, and Washington were disasters.

Yes, I'm well aware of that, I am/was an OG fan going to many Tampa Bay Bandits games in the 80's. That being said, I did simplify my example for brevity and just trying to make a point about "what-ifs."

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Yes, I'm well aware of that, I am/was an OG fan going to many Tampa Bay Bandits games in the 80's. That being said, I did simplify my example for brevity and just trying to make a point about "what-ifs."

This video goes over some of that as well. I always thought the league was fine until Trump was involved, but that's what happens when you're 10 years old, you don't know about all of the backstabbing and poor decisions these leagues, including the NFL made. After looking at this I wonder if staying in the spring until 1987 would have saved the USFL and possibly stunted the NFL from becoming what it is today. At the end of the day the guys wanting to litigate themselves into the NFL won out and that killed the league. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So I guess Scott goes back to Philadelphia then? That's where he was last year. I wonder how many no-NFL players will pick one or the other spring leagues based on scheduling? I'd think those that haven't been on scout teams want as much film as possible. I also wonder if we'll see guys jumping leagues as well, hoping to get those extra reps?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

So I guess Scott goes back to Philadelphia then? That's where he was last year. I wonder how many no-NFL players will pick one or the other spring leagues based on scheduling? I'd think those that haven't been on scout teams want as much film as possible. I also wonder if we'll see guys jumping leagues as well, hoping to get those extra reps?

Philadelphia currently has one QB on their roster in Kevin Thomson, who is new.  All three QBs they had last year: Scott, Case Cookus and KJ Costello are free agents.  Costello never got any interest from NFL, CFL, XFL or USFL after he was released by the Saints in training camp.   Now could it be he wants to pursue coaching or life outside of football?  Perhaps.  It could also be that he's going back to the Stars.  The fact that the Stars haven't filled that QB room leads me to believe that Cookus and/or Costello are coming back.  

17 minutes ago, Skycast said:

I always love seeing comments like this one. Makes me wonder what the commenter's record is as a professional football coach.

I assumed everyone was in on the joke that Jeff Fischer was pretty much a 7-9 record over the last few years of his career, yet he kept getting jobs.

I guess not.

• Like 5

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I assumed everyone was in on the joke that Jeff Fischer was pretty much a 7-9 record over the last few years of his career, yet he kept getting jobs.

I guess not.

He took a basement dwelling Rams team and turned them into a functioning organization that would be primed for a guy like McVay. He was kept on for an extra couple years because of his experience with running a team that's relocating. I get the joke but it's so overdone at this point, and it's pretty lame '7-9' became his legacy. He was a good coach for his era

• Meh 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1