USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

21 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Ugh-really GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Canton's closer to Greater Cleveland than it is Greater Pittsburgh!!! What the absolute!?!?!? Just rebrand them the Canton Bulldogs at this point! I'm sure that this makes life easier for the Stars and Maulers, but if Canton is going to be a permanent location, they should have their own team and not another city's name on it. 

Canton Bulldogs" Cap for Sale by SwampfoxDesign | Redbubble

yeah, it's a weird move.  Why not keep the colors if there are no plans to play in actual Pittsburgh?  

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Canton might be the rumored 4th competition hub.  Currently there is Birmingham hosting the Stallions and Breakers and Memphis hosting the Showboats and Gamblers.  The reports are that Detroit will be a hub and now maybe Canton.  Michigan and Pittsburgh would be the "hosts" with the Stars and Generals split among the two locations.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, walkerws said:

It could be the Championship location again. 

That too, but if so why bring the Pittsburgh head coach?  Might be announcing both.  The only reason Canton hosted the playoffs was because of a prior commitment in Birmingham.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, walkerws said:

It could be the Championship location again. 

20 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

That too, but if so why bring the Pittsburgh head coach?  Might be announcing both.  The only reason Canton hosted the playoffs was because of a prior commitment in Birmingham.

I'd think the league prefers a "home field advantage" for whomever host the final. It's also probably cost prohibitive to not play in Canton if they have to paint over the field multiple times like last year. The cost isn't that much I'm sure. I also think either every stadium gets the USFL in both end zone treatments, or they just place the names of the teams playing at each stadium up until the playoffs. The latter would look better in my opinion, but I can see them just sticking to what they did last year. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

47 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd think the league prefers a "home field advantage" for whomever host the final. It's also probably cost prohibitive to not play in Canton if they have to paint over the field multiple times like last year. The cost isn't that much I'm sure. I also think either every stadium gets the USFL in both end zone treatments, or they just place the names of the teams playing at each stadium up until the playoffs. The latter would look better in my opinion, but I can see them just sticking to what they did last year. 

I think  the only way they paint the end zones is for the final. That's the only time I can remember Canton actually doing that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, walkerws said:

I think  the only way they paint the end zones is for the final. That's the only time I can remember Canton actually doing that. 

They painted the end zones with the standard USFL field layout for the semifinal games. 

Philadelphia Stars play in inaugural USFL championship game Sunday - Axios  Philadelphia

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, Cujo said:

Need an explanation here.. The pandemic is essentially over. Is there a reason why the USFL is still playing in limited hub cities and not in every team market? Is this a money-saving thing? 

Yup. Saving money and playing in college stadiums is probably cheaper than playing in pro stadiums. If the XFL hadn't come back this year they were originally going to all stay in Birmingham again. Low attendance for non Stallions games likely played a role in spreading the teams out as well.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

horton-wide-012423.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

That looks an awful lot like a Steelers throwback helmet . . . which is a good thing.

I dare them to only have the logo on the right side of the helmet.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

And apparently  the playoffs will be there again as well.  I'm surprised that the New Jersey Generals will be the second team there instead of the Stars, but either one works since it's not like they are at their actual home site. 

Blech GIF - Blech Bleh Ugh - Discover & Share GIFs

https://www.theusfl.com/the-usfl/canton-ohio-to-host-usfl-games-during-2023-regular-season

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Ugh-really GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Canton's closer to Greater Cleveland than it is Greater Pittsburgh!!! What the absolute!?!?!? Just rebrand them the Canton Bulldogs at this point! I'm sure that this makes life easier for the Stars and Maulers, but if Canton is going to be a permanent location, they should have their own team and not another city's name on it. 

Canton Bulldogs" Cap for Sale by SwampfoxDesign | Redbubble

Probably confused Canton with Youngstown lol. At least the latter is actually smackdab between Cleveland and Pittsburgh

• LOL 1

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Whyy don't they name them the Canton Maulers and Ohio Generals? 🙄

This league is setting itself up for failure. i just dont understand how this is a smart business model. Just comes off as them being cheap and really lost.

• Yawn 1

6uXNWAo.png

55 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Whyy don't them name them the Canton Maulers and Ohio Generals? 🙄

This league is setting itself up for failure. i just dont understand how this is a smart business model. Just comes off as them being cheap and really lost.

It's very cheap. But that's been their plan from the beginning. Travel was going to kill them. With the Year 1 setup, they basically survived just on the TV revenue and didn't care much about attendance.

To grow, though, they need to branch out. Picking Canton but not giving Canton a team seems a bit odd. Yeah, some would glom onto the Steelers Lite, but not having a Cleveland themed team as well missed the boat. I know the USFL never had a Cleveland team, but a Cleveland-Pittsburgh rivalry with a hub in Canton would've done well.

55 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

It's very cheap. But that's been their plan from the beginning. Travel was going to kill them. With the Year 1 setup, they basically survived just on the TV revenue and didn't care much about attendance.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember earlier this week reading the USFL took in a reported $10 million in revenue for 2022. That's an underwhelming number against Fox's 3-year, $150 million investment, and that's me being polite. If they're doing $10 general admission and kids get in free again this season, and we don't see any advertisers on those tarps and sideline banners, that tells me this is an enterprise uninterested in growth or sustaining its own revenues, and entirely focused on sucking up as much of that sweet Fox money as possible while technically putting out a football league.

Which, hey, that's not really a criticism. Good on them for finding that much dumb money! We're fully in Grifter Late Capitalism now, so I'd rather they'd go after the big marks than scam the common folk.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember earlier this week reading the USFL took in a reported $10 million in revenue for 2022. That's an underwhelming number against Fox's 3-year, $150 million investment, and that's me being polite. If they're doing $10 general admission and kids get in free again this season, and we don't see any advertisers on those tarps and sideline banners, that tells me this is an enterprise uninterested in growth or sustaining its own revenues, and entirely focused on sucking up as much of that sweet Fox money as possible while technically putting out a football league.

Which, hey, that's not really a criticism. Good on them for finding that much dumb money! We're fully in Grifter Late Capitalism now, so I'd rather they'd go after the big marks than scam the common folk.

Making money in the first year is actually good news because they were expecting to take losses into the first 3 years. But when 5,000 people show up for a game it's not a good look. I don't know why they didn't just copy the XFL and practice at one location and go to the team cities the day before the game.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Making money in the first year is actually good news because they were expecting to take losses into the first 3 years.

Well, that's gross revenue, not net profit.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.