USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

He turned a 2-14 Oilers team into a fringe playoff hopeful  despite changing cities twice and not having a stadium, proper facilities, or any fans. They finally get an actual home and waddya know, they go 13-3, 13-3, 7-9, 11-5, 12-4 the following five seasons. Game passes him by, he manages two more playoff appearances, then it's off to St. Louis to once again turn a 2-win mess into a middle of the pack team. All his players loved him and he retired with the 11th most wins of all time. Great no, good yes

• Huh? 1

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

He took a basement dwelling Rams team and turned them into a functioning organization that would be primed for a guy like McVay. He was kept on for an extra couple years because of his experience with running a team that's relocating. I get the joke but it's so overdone at this point, and it's pretty lame '7-9' became his legacy. He was a good coach for his era

Had two or three good seasons in his twenty with the Oilers/Titans. Rode tf outta the coattails of their lone Super Bowl appearance. Then the Rams came calling and he didn't do jack shyte there, I'm sure his best season there was 7-9. But was given an extra few years anyways cause he had prior experience in coaching a relocated team, which many viewed as white privilege.

And to say Fisher kept the seat warm for Sean McVay is criminal.

• Like 4

6uXNWAo.png

Jeff Fisher had beyond all else "Jeff Fisher privilege" in that typically when teams would hire him they'd know the team wasn't going to be absolutely heinous. It was also not going to get past the Divisional Round if they even made it to the playoffs but at least the team wouldn't suck. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

"Jeff Fisher privilege"

STL 2012 7 8 1 .469 3rd in NFC West
STL 2013 7 9 0 .438 4th in NFC West
STL 2014 6 10 0 .375 4th in NFC West
STL 2015 7 9 0 .438 3rd in NFC West
LA 2016 4 9 0 .308 Fired
STL / LA total 31 45 1 .414

Then the Rams came calling and he didn't do jack shyte there, I'm sure his best season there was 7-9

I stand corrected. Fisher once went 7-8-1!

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

Jeff Fisher peaked as Buddy Ryan's defensive coordinator in Philadelphia.  Maybe had he gotten the HC job instead of Rich Kotite he could have won a SB with that incredible defense, but 'twas not to be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

Jeff Fisher peaked as Buddy Ryan's defensive coordinator in Philadelphia.  Maybe had he gotten the HC job instead of Rich Kotite he could have won a SB with that incredible defense, but 'twas not to be.

Just imagine what he'd have done if Ken Anderson was his quarterback. Two sure-fire Hall of Famers! B)😂

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

I really hope they make it up to us logo aficionados by having one of the 2024 expansion teams wear purple and orange...I see why the Maulers want to identify with their city, but it still hurts to see history erased like this.

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

So the USFL schedule came out and somehow it's even worse than I imagined it could be.

Rather than being a 'host city' for teams.... they're doing a tour. Each week at a different venue for all four games. It's hard to take this seriously. I thought I might get to go to a few games in Canton. Yeah, in June. The last three weeks of the regular season are all played in Canton.

Week 1  - Memphis

Week 2 - Memphis

Week 3 - Birmingham

Week 4 - Detroit

Week 5 - Detroit

Week 6 - Memphis

Week 7 - Birmingham

Week 8 - Canton

Week 9 - Canton

Week 10 - Canton

(edit)

Wait... the USFL website is completely screwed up in how they're showing the schedule.

• Yawn 1

17 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Sounds like the USFL is following the PLL's schedule format.  Not a bad idea if you ask me.  it's unconventional, but the whole league is based on that.

I agree. I think it's a smart and probably financially efficient transition into playing in "home" markets. The schedule on the USFL website also shows that they'll typically play in a given market for two consecutive weeks rather than just jumping around. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I agree. I think it's a smart and probably financially efficient transition into playing in "home" markets. The schedule on the USFL website also shows that they'll typically play in a given market for two consecutive weeks rather than just jumping around. 

This is sort of like the type of hybrid model that I've been advocating for the PLL for a few years now.

-- Assign home city/region names to create some local bonds (however limited at first)

-- Ease into a model that includes primarily neutral site/touring games and some home games

-- Eventually settle into a schedule that leans more toward home games, with continued neutral site games/doubleheaders to continue tapping into other markets

In this case, there are only a few markets being used for games at this point.  For football, I think the end game should be almost all home/in-market games.  The PLL would be fine with perhaps a 60-40 home/neutral split since lacrosse hasn't saturated the overall market the way football has for decades.

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Can someone explain the significance of this to me? 

If he's the first-ever draft pick to "get arrive" (😂), then what is the point of having a draft at all? 

A draft assigns the rights of players to the various teams; it doesn't compel those players to sign.

Furthermore, teams can presumably still sign players who were not taken in the draft.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 3/25/2023 at 8:16 AM, gosioux76 said:

Can someone explain the significance of this to me? 

If he's the first-ever draft pick to "get arrive" (😂), then what is the point of having a draft at all? 

First off, it's obviously a typo or grammar error. My bet is that someone was trying to decide between "arrive" and "get signed" and just messed it up. We all make mistakes, let's let it slide shall we?

As for what's the significance? He's the first ever rookie to be drafted straight out of college and sign with the USFL, forgoing seeing where he might have been drafted by the NFL (if at all) or just being signed as a free agent to a NFL team. My guess is that since he's from such a small school, he assumes/knows he wouldn't have been drafted or get signed by the NFL so he's embracing his chance to play some pro football, get paid and hopefully play well and show he belongs at the next level.

• Like 1