The Harlem Globetrotters want to be the NBA’s 31st Franchise (Seriously)

DCarp1231

Yeah, but the use of "Harlem" is already a bit of a facsimile. They started in Chicago and picked Harlem because of its connection to black American culture as a way to basically promote/indicate that they were a team of black players.

To add on, their executive headquarters are located outside of Atlanta, so neither Harlem nor Chicago.

IbjBaeE.png

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

Yeah, but the use of "Harlem" is already a bit of a facsimile. They started in Chicago and picked Harlem because of its connection to black American culture as a way to basically promote/indicate that they were a team of black players.

Ah yes, just like Houston's very own Harlem Heat. NBA, we comin' for you, [beeeeeeeeeep]

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I wasn't really joking when I suggested Vegas. The Globetrotters have been a barnstorming team since their inception (it's in the name!).

I like the idea. My only requirement is they have to go back to the Meadowlark Lemon era jerseys. This would be a top ten NBA uniform.

3e7ebb6b4afe02af631e32f13a08da01.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

This fight was set at MGM Grand in Vegas...which happens to be across the street from New York New York.

XX7YUDR3MNHTLE2QFJWYMBYL6I.jpg

There's too much kismet for this idea not to work.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This fight was set at MGM Grand in Vegas...which happens to be across the street from New York New York.

XX7YUDR3MNHTLE2QFJWYMBYL6I.jpg

There's too much kismet for this idea not to work.

But, if this idea dies, it dies. 

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I love hearing WCW themes in other productions. Didn’t the original Benoit theme appear in a biology video for kids? 

I think it was an anatomy video, but not for kids.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I like the idea. My only requirement is they have to go back to the Meadowlark Lemon era jerseys. This would be a top ten NBA uniform.

I would also be fully expecting for them to come out with city edition jerseys that say "New Amsterdam"

I saw, I came, I left.

Anyone think there might be a space for them in the G-League ala the NBA's "Ignite" team in Walnut Creek? maybe as like an east coast equivalent, or a barnstorming team sponsored by the league that plays international teams in Europe/Africa/China as a marketing tool? 

On 6/26/2021 at 2:16 PM, monkeypower said:

To add on, their executive headquarters are located outside of Atlanta, so neither Harlem nor Chicago.

Whenever I hear "Harlem, Chicago" in a sentence, I immediately think of the infamous Jimmy McPerson essay.

bYhYmxh.png

On 6/25/2021 at 5:51 PM, Red Comet said:

You know, it would be neat to see 3 NBA teams in New York. Would be somewhat reminiscent of the so-called “Golden Age of Baseball”

They’d have to actually be in New York.  Which is the only reason to do it.  If they were serious.  Which they aren’t. 

On 6/26/2021 at 10:01 PM, infrared41 said:

This might be the only basketball uniform that works where the shorts aren't the same color as the jersey.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived