Least Original Contrarian Takes

spartacat_12

With Henrik Lundqvist officially announcing his retirement today, social media has been full of people praising his career. I'm even seeing a lot of people saying that he should be ahead of Brodeur in the all time goalie rankings. People love to argue that Brodeur was only a top goalie because of the team he played for, and that they had the best defense in league history, despite the fact that he managed to win 2 Vezinas & was a Hart finalist after guys like Stevens & Niedermayer left the team. He also carried them to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2012 when their top D pairing was Marek Zidlicky & Bryce Salvador. I don't put him ahead of Hasek or Roy, but he's still top 3 all time to me.

Hating on Brodeur has to be one of the least original 'hot takes' in the hockey community. It was like when people used to say that Tom Brady's success was only because of Belichick's system.

Obviously with today's social media engagement/clickbait culture people love posting controversial opinions, but what are some other overused contrarian takes that you are sick of hearing?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Granted, I don't really follow hockey anymore, but I've never heard or read anyone hate on Brodeur or diminish his accomplishments.  

Here's an original fake-contrarian take:

"I know analytics is all the range these days, but call me old school, I rely on the eye test and would say to use analytics just as a guide".

Whoa - you sure you want to go out on that limb?  That's totally going against the grain.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm tired of "analytics" in hockey. Analytics are just when you say the word "analytics" and take bad-angle shots. Maybe "relying on the eye test" would get players to work a cycle again for the first time in like four years.

Diminishing Brodeur's accomplishments was big in the early 2000s when it seemed as if he was only benefiting from the neutral-zone trap. I get it. I did it myself. To this day I still don't think he's as good as Hasek or Roy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

To this day I still don't think he's as good as Hasek or Roy.

To be fair, nobody's as good as Hasek. As far as I'm concerned, he's the goalie equivalent to Gretzky and Orr, and is in a class to himself at his position. I also suppose I would be part of the target audience for the initial topic here, because I also think Brodeur's overrated in the grand scheme of things (he's not top-3 and he's nowhere near Patrick Roy, for me), but it also would be folly to entirely dismiss his accomplishments. If nothing else, having a sense of security in goal makes life a lot easier mentally on everybody else, and Brodeur is one of the reasons why goaltenders can't play the puck in the corners anymore, so he made an impact on the game by being able to be a puck-playing goaltender (to steal a concept from soccer). That he was still an above average goaltender overall later in his career, post-DPE and post-Devils peak are also points in his favor, as much I don't like giving them.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, BBTV said:

Here's an original fake-contrarian take:

"I know analytics is all the range these days, but call me old school, I rely on the eye test and would say to use analytics just as a guide".

Whoa - you sure you want to go out on that limb?  That's totally going against the grain.

I think I heard you on the radio discussing baseball while driving up I-95 last night around 9:30 EDT.  I didn't catch the beginning of the segment, but you summarized yourself pretty well here.

You are some nationally syndicated sports talk guy, right?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 minute ago, leopard88 said:

You are some nationally syndicated sports talk guy, right?

Yeah, but I don't really know anything about sports, I just regurgitate what I learn from here.

Did you hear the show a few weeks ago where I got slammed by callers for suggesting that Ken Anderson should be in the football HOF?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

"The best basketball man actually isn't that good."

This is really good because I'm thinking of like 5 guys it applies to.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

“Patrick Mahomes is a system QB. There is no way at all he would be anything but a bust outside of Kansas City.”

Some slow-in-the-mind somewhere.

Mahomes is incredible. It annoys me that anybody would doubt that. Watch some of the throws he made in the latest Super Bowl. Dude was doing the impossible. He made throws that were so wild that his receivers were caught off guard at the idea the ball could even get near them.

Seriously, he made a throw from this position that was legitimately good. I will not hear any slander about Mahomes despite him playing for a team I hate. It's not his fault that his o-line died.

j9DYu30.jpg

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

“Patrick Mahomes is a system QB. There is no way at all he would be anything but a bust outside of Kansas City.”

Some slow-in-the-mind somewhere.

Has anyone claimed that, let alone enough people for it to be an 'original-contrarian take'?

That's dated from before he won the Super Bowl.  Winning a Super Bowl, and performing well in another one tends to change minds.  I can't believe that anyone would call him a 'system quarterback' in 2021. 

I've always hated the "he's only good because of the system - you could put anyone in there" argument because no system is so complex that only one coach in the whole world can execute it, yet despite everyone hiring all the assistants from the guys with the best 'systems', nobody ever has the same success.  Give me star players and I'll beat a 'system' any day of the week.

39 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That's dated from before he won the Super Bowl.  Winning a Super Bowl, and performing well in another one tends to change minds.  I can't believe that anyone would call him a 'system quarterback' in 2021. 

I've always hated the "he's only good because of the system - you could put anyone in there" argument because no system is so complex that only one coach in the whole world can execute it, yet despite everyone hiring all the assistants from the guys with the best 'systems', nobody ever has the same success.  Give me star players and I'll beat a 'system' any day of the week.

Hey, you said 

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Has anyone claimed that, let alone enough people for it to be an 'original-contrarian take'?

Didn’t say anything about when anyone ever said it. 

38 minutes ago, BBTV said:

There was definitely "Mahomes isn't that good" discourse after the Super Bowl. I normally avoid such nonsense but even I saw that from the hot take artists.

My favorite reply to a media question came from Tim Tebow (who I don't even like!). When asked about just being a system QB in Florida he said, "yes, I run a good system," which always cracked me up.

Archived