MLS Kits 2022

VampyrRabbit

NYCFC’s new kit looks pretty good in action, but I feel like it really needs navy shorts to balance out how much navy is on the front of the shirt. It also just looks weird to me that the shorts don’t have any navy at all (aside from the badge) whereas the shirt and socks both do.

spacer.png
spacer.png

• Like 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

51 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

NYCFC’s new kit looks pretty good in action, but I feel like it really needs navy shorts to balance out how much navy is on the front of the shirt. It also just looks weird to me that the shorts don’t have any navy at all (aside from the badge) whereas the shirt and socks both do.

spacer.png
spacer.png

That looks more like it should be an amazing third kit for the Houston Dynamo...

...I can appreciate them mixing in more orange, but that is overdoing it for a NYC kit.

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

21 minutes ago, tBBP said:

That looks more like it should be an amazing third kit for the Houston Dynamo...

...I can appreciate them mixing in more orange, but that is overdoing it for a NYC kit.

Yeah, I think I’m leaning that way myself. I think navy shorts would go a long way towards changing my opinion on that, but swapping the navy and orange maybe would’ve been a better solution overall. I would’ve liked to have seen a navy/navy/orange kit combo, actually.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Sounders are using the blue shorts from their 2020/21 primaries tonight. They did the same in both of their CCL games against Motagua. Can only assume it’s because of supply chain issues and/or delivery delays. They should have new blue shorts with green Adidas stripes:

spacer.png

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

After seeing some of the highlights from this week a few things came to me:

- Miami definitely needs to have some break up with the pink look. Black or white shorts would've been an ideal look, and I know against Chicago they didn't want to clash, but they need something to break up that look.

- Portland's "Rose City" kits are really nice, but there is something about it that isn't getting me to fully commit to them. I don't know what it is, but it just seems like it's missing something.

- NE hopefully has white shorts to break up the mono look, ditto for Toronto with their away w/graphite. 

- Philadelphia's homes are BEATIFUL. Hopefully 2 years from now they revert back to the PSG-esque center stripe and fully commit to it. 

- Vancouver should have a whole kit set dedicated to the hoop (home, away & alt). I'd love to see a columbia blue shirt with a navy hoop. 

• Like 1

@DigbySeattle should have worn the Hendrix kits instead of these. It's annoying. 

13 hours ago, WBeltz said:

After seeing some of the highlights from this week a few things came to me:

- Miami definitely needs to have some break up with the pink look. Black or white shorts would've been an ideal look, and I know against Chicago they didn't want to clash, but they need something to break up that look.

- Portland's "Rose City" kits are really nice, but there is something about it that isn't getting me to fully commit to them. I don't know what it is, but it just seems like it's missing something.

- NE hopefully has white shorts to break up the mono look, ditto for Toronto with their away w/graphite. 

- Philadelphia's homes are BEATIFUL. Hopefully 2 years from now they revert back to the PSG-esque center stripe and fully commit to it. 

- Vancouver should have a whole kit set dedicated to the hoop (home, away & alt). I'd love to see a columbia blue shirt with a navy hoop. 

Portland - I think having that pattern be lighter or smaller would have helped a good bit.

New England - If they want to go off the original uniform layouts, NWN would make sense. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Seattle should have worn the Hendrix kits instead of these. It's annoying. 

Nashville was away and has a perfectly good dark purple kit that presumably exists for games like this. It's like somebody is in charge of the league selling secondary kits but nobody's in charge of stepping in and using them where they ought to be.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Digby said:

Nashville was away and has a perfectly good dark purple kit that presumably exists for games like this. It's like somebody is in charge of the league selling secondary kits but nobody's in charge of stepping in and using them where they ought to be.

And games like this are why I think requiring teams to sell X amount of jerseys to get a third kit is just dumb. 

• Applause 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

And games like this are why I think requiring teams to sell X amount of jerseys to get a third kit is just dumb. 

16 minutes ago, Digby said:

Like @Digby said, there was absolutely zero reason for Nashville to wear their yellow kits when their away kits would’ve provided better contrast with Seattle’s green. If it were up to me, Nashville would’ve gone with an indigo/yellow/indigo combo. This was just one of many recent examples of less-than-ideal kit matchups, but this time there was an easy solution that apparently the league didn’t care enough to push. 

I do agree with your larger point about third kits, though, @MJWalker45.

• Like 2

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

47 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Portland - I think having that pattern be lighter or smaller would have helped a good bit.

New England - If they want to go off the original uniform layouts, NWN would make sense. 

Can’t say I agree on the Timbers’ kit. For me what makes it successful is the bold color contrast with the roses as well as the scale of them. In a league full of tonal and/or embossed kit designs, I think there’s something to be said about the Timbers going all-out with the rose print and having it be such a stark contrast from the base color. As for the size, I’ve said it before on here that I don’t think making the roses smaller really would’ve worked since they already had to create a gap for the sponsor logo. I think making the roses smaller would’ve just made that gap more noticeable, whereas now it’s at least somewhat natural with how the roses are placed and spaced apart.

As for the Revs, yeah, navy/white/navy would be so much better (ignore the sleeve patch & sponsor here, made this graphic before the kit was unveiled). 

spacer.png

• Like 2

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Seattle green vs. Nashville yellow was not an easy watch.

Yeah, lucky thing Columbus chose not to wear yellow in MLS Cup 2020, because the Sounders seem to feel perfectly happy wearing the primaries against yellow.

Our green is way too yellowy to work against Columbus or Nashville, and Nashville's shade of yellow in particular seems to have a touch of volt green to it. Bad pairing.

On top of that, it bothers me how Nashville's side panel just suddenly ends at the hem!

194444.jpg?d=780x520.

I really think it's a nice side panel design, but the transition to the shorts is rough. Toronto had this same issue a few years back.

I think this jersey would look way better with navy shorts (saves all-yellow for Columbus too), or with the shorts side panels style FC Dallas used in '16-'17:

dallas.jpg

17 minutes ago, vtgco said:

On top of that, it bothers me how Nashville's side panel just suddenly ends at the hem!

194444.jpg?d=780x520.

I really think it's a nice side panel design, but the transition to the shorts is rough.

I know adidas insists on having three stripes on the shorts, but if they continued the pattern and then set the stripes horizontally at the top or bottom of the shorts it would be a great compromise. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The Sounders are using the blue shorts from their 2020/21 primaries tonight. They did the same in both of their CCL games against Motagua. Can only assume it’s because of supply chain issues and/or delivery delays. They should have new blue shorts with green Adidas stripes:

spacer.png

Seattle actually has some newer non-Adidas stripe blue shorts as well this year. They had em on display at the Training center unveiling with both sets of this years jerseys. Either way

18 minutes ago, TacoCat83 said:

Seattle actually has some newer non-Adidas stripe blue shorts as well this year. They had em on display at the Training center unveiling with both sets of this years jerseys. Either way

You sure they aren’t just last year’s shorts? The ones they wore last night (and in CCL) have the exact same tapered cut and slit on the side that the 2020/21 shorts had, whereas the shorts for the rest of this year’s new kits have a straight hem and no slit (and with adidas stripes).

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Can’t say I agree on the Timbers’ kit. For me what makes it successful is the bold color contrast with the roses as well as the scale of them. In a league full of tonal and/or embossed kit designs, I think there’s something to be said about the Timbers going all-out with the rose print and having it be such a stark contrast from the base color. As for the size, I’ve said it before on here that I don’t think making the roses smaller really would’ve worked since they already had to create a gap for the sponsor logo. I think making the roses smaller would’ve just made that gap more noticeable, whereas now it’s at least somewhat natural with how the roses are placed and spaced apart.

As for the Revs, yeah, navy/white/navy would be so much better (ignore the sleeve patch & sponsor here, made this graphic before the kit was unveiled). 

spacer.png

Would like to see that logo without the circle, larger and with the the badge itself outlined in white. 

Interesting development here. Rapids posted a video on their social media, and it has a very brief look at what appears to be a new Adidas GK template? I've haven't seen this particular design before so I wouldn't be surprised. Has this been seen with any other teams yet?

ncH7xrP.png

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Week 2 kit matchups:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/kit-matchups-what-your-club-is-wearing-for-mls-week-2-x4456

Some notables:

- If graphics are accurate, last year’s keeper kits will be used across the league again this week.

- Colorado/Atlanta is the only matchup where both teams are debuting their new kits. It’ll be burgundy/blue/burgundy vs. mint/white/mint.

- SKC, RSL, Minnesota, Orlando, and Austin are the other clubs debuting a new kit this weekend. SKC and Austin are the only ones debuting their new secondaries at home this week, while Cincy is wearing their new secondaries at home this week but not debuting them since they wore them last week.

- Columbus is wearing their white/grey shirts with the new white shorts and socks at San Jose.

- The Timbers are wearing their secondaries at LAFC, but this time debuting the inferior white alternate shorts.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1