MLS Kits 2022

VampyrRabbit

On 4/7/2022 at 9:18 AM, upperV03 said:

The white/navy/white vs. green/white/green matchup between the ‘Caps and Timbers was one of the better kit matchups last season, and should be the same this year as well.

White/Dark/White vs. Dark/White/Dark is a big pet peeve of mine.  I dislike it in American football too.  If one team is wearing white tops and socks, I don't want the other team in white shorts. 

I find it hard to track the players when they're close together.

But I agree that those are both good looks individually for those teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack said:

If one team is wearing white tops and socks, I don't want the other team in white shorts. 

Agreed, which is also why I hold the unpopular opinion of not agreeing with the anti-monochrome thought in kit matching. A shorts clash doesn't bother me, especially if it saves us from an overall clash. 

Saw a tweet a few days ago (listed as a few days ago too, can’t seem to find it) but he mentioned he saw an “unreleased” Charlotte FC jersey, would that be the Parley kit jersey you think? They wouldn’t get a 3rd based on qualifications that adidas and MLS have set.

18 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Saw a tweet a few days ago (listed as a few days ago too, can’t seem to find it) but he mentioned he saw an “unreleased” Charlotte FC jersey, would that be the Parley kit jersey you think? They wouldn’t get a 3rd based on qualifications that adidas and MLS have set.

Probably a Parley jersey or a special event prematch jersey. I figure a Memorial Day/4th of July, LGBTQIA+, and Parley warmup will be coming out for all of the teams. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Looks like a nice enough day in Chester, PA today. The Union would have looked way better in their blue/yellow against Montreal's grey kit. Navy vs grey is pretty dull.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Here’s the link to this weekend’s kit matchups (the league never posted last week’s):

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/kit-matchups-what-your-club-is-wearing-for-mls-week-8

Of note:

- Cincy is wearing navy/navy/orange at Toronto. The orange socks are from their secondary kits and are being used to contrast Toronto’s dark gray socks.

- Columbus wearing all-white at home against DCU.

- Hoops vs. hoops (sort of) between SKC and Dallas.

- Colorado going burgundy/blue/blue against Portland in pink/crimson/pink.

- NYCFC/San Jose going city blue vs. royal blue.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

BOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F* this MLS, share the wealth uniform crap! The only reason to make Columbus change at home should be nothing! If they played at Nashville I'd expect all white. They are playing at home, they should wear all yellow. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

BOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F* this MLS, share the wealth uniform crap! The only reason to make Columbus change at home should be nothing! If they played at Nashville I'd expect all white. They are playing at home, they should wear all yellow. 

Don’t think it’s the league making them change, just think it’s the Crew trying to sell more of the white shirts (especially since they have the new badge this year). 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Don’t think it’s the league making them change, just think it’s the Crew trying to sell more of the white shirts (especially since they have the new badge this year). 

I believe the league makes the uniform matchups instead of the team. As loud as Crew fans were about not having yellow kits I don't think the team would have worn white at home vs an all black uniform. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I believe the league makes the uniform matchups instead of the team. As loud as Crew fans were about not having yellow kits I don't think the team would have worn white at home vs an all black uniform. 

As far as I know, the home team gets first pick as to what they want to wear, with the away team having to pick something to contrast that. There are occasions where the league has to step in (like the green vs. green Portland/Seattle matchups, for example), but I do not believe it’s true at all that the league makes the uniform matchups instead of the teams. I have heard that Adidas/the league has a rule that teams have to wear each kit a minimum amount of times each year, but 1) I can’t confirm whether that’s accurate or not, and 2) I do not believe the league makes teams wear certain kits in certain situations unless it’s necessary for enhancing contrast or it’s a situation like the Parley kits where obviously everyone wears the same thing. The league has influenced MLS Cup kit matchups in the last, notably back in 2015 when they made the Timbers wear their primary kits instead of the retro thirds that they’d worn throughout the playoffs. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 4/28/2022 at 11:14 AM, upperV03 said:

Here’s the link to this weekend’s kit matchups (the league never posted last week’s):

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/kit-matchups-what-your-club-is-wearing-for-mls-week-8

Of note:

- Cincy is wearing navy/navy/orange at Toronto. The orange socks are from their secondary kits and are being used to contrast Toronto’s dark gray socks.

- Hoops vs. hoops (sort of) between SKC and Dallas.

- Colorado going burgundy/blue/blue against Portland in pink/crimson/pink.

- NYCFC/San Jose going city blue vs. royal blue.

Yeah I thought that was weird they didn't post last week.  I'm trying to compile everything worn this year to see what mix and match things they do between the kits this season

This is only my second year following MLS and I'm genuinely curious how teams decide which kit to wear. For example, tonight the Timbers are wearing their pink + burgundy kit in Colorado. While it isn't a direct clash, why wear the oppose team's primary color instead of your own colors? They couldn't save the rose kit for another matchup?

24 minutes ago, Bmac said:

This is only my second year following MLS and I'm genuinely curious how teams decide which kit to wear. For example, tonight the Timbers are wearing their pink + burgundy kit in Colorado. While it isn't a direct clash, why wear the oppose team's primary color instead of your own colors? They couldn't save the rose kit for another matchup?

The Timbers haven’t worn dark green against Colorado’s burgundy kits since 2017. As a general rule the league wants dark vs. light kit matchups whenever possible, so they’d view the dark green as more of a clash with the Rapids’ burgundy than the pink is. I actually thought it was a pretty pleasing matchup to watch; the burgundy and light blue of Colorado matched up quite well with the Timbers’ pink and crimson. I do get your point, but I think the pink made for an easier on the eyes matchup than the dark green would’ve. The Timbers could’ve gone with their white alternate shorts with the pink kits, but personally I’m glad they went with the dark shorts since Colorado’s primaries have the light colored shorts.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 4/28/2022 at 2:43 PM, upperV03 said:

As far as I know, the home team gets first pick as to what they want to wear, with the away team having to pick something to contrast that. There are occasions where the league has to step in (like the green vs. green Portland/Seattle matchups, for example), but I do not believe it’s true at all that the league makes the uniform matchups instead of the teams. I have heard that Adidas/the league has a rule that teams have to wear each kit a minimum amount of times each year, but 1) I can’t confirm whether that’s accurate or not, and 2) I do not believe the league makes teams wear certain kits in certain situations unless it’s necessary for enhancing contrast or it’s a situation like the Parley kits where obviously everyone wears the same thing. The league has influenced MLS Cup kit matchups in the last, notably back in 2015 when they made the Timbers wear their primary kits instead of the retro thirds that they’d worn throughout the playoffs. 

Pretty much spot on. Clubs select what they want to wear for home matches. This year we only submitted home matches. Typically 9 outta 10 times the kit the home team selects is worn unless it can't be worn for contrast sake. Then typically its a switch to a different kit or the combo is changed (shorts, socks, etc.) 

We don't have any expectations to wear kits a certain amount of times (other than our own internal goals) from what I've experienced in this process. 

• Like 4

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

8 hours ago, Dilbert said:

If they dont restore the Impact name, they didnt listen to their supporters or partners

Even just replacing the CF Montreal de Foot with Montreal Impact would improve the current logo, but I think they need to go old school with a new logo. 

Montreal Gazette - From Montreal Impact to CF Montréal - A look at the  franchise's logos through the year  https://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/mls/montreal-impact/montreal- impact-rebrands-takes-on-a-new-name-club-de-foot-montreal | Facebook

The one on the far left was their best ever logo and it sucked they didn't try something similar when they moved to MLS. 

Montréal Impact on Behance

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png