MLS Kits 2022

VampyrRabbit

Pink v red is tough. It's cute as an idea, but not really great contrast.

Not in love with this one either:

nsjudo6swgeng1j8mimn.png

Portland/Philly is going to look great. So will Austin/Orlando:

kcs68pf6s4evtslfu8qi.png

Why couldn't Houston wear orange for this? Lots of other black/white matchups this weekend too.

a7fzk2ipkqknuljcvk4n.png

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Why couldn't Houston wear orange for this?

Aren't the black kits their primaries now? Seem like they've only worn orange this season when they have to clash.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

22 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Pink v red is tough. It's cute as an idea, but not really great contrast.

Not in love with this one either:

nsjudo6swgeng1j8mimn.png

Portland/Philly is going to look great. So will Austin/Orlando:

Why couldn't Houston wear orange for this? Lots of other black/white matchups this weekend too.

Dallas and Portland went red vs. pink earlier this year, but Dallas’ home kit has plenty of blue and the Timbers’ pink kits are a paler shade than Miami’s, so there really wasn’t an issue at all. I suspect today’s Miami/NYRB matchup will be a little tougher, but still better than having the Red Bulls in white. 

I don’t mind the SJ/SKC matchup, maybe because there have been so many similar matchups in the past, but also because I wouldn’t have wanted to see both teams in their secondaries.

As for Houston, they definitely could (and should) be in orange for that matchup. Clearly just wanting to wear their black kits to try to drum up sales for them. The black kits are still their secondaries, but they’ve hyped them up quite a bit and worn them quite a bit as well.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I understand why teams make black versions of their vibrant kits. I just wish they wouldn't.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Columbus is wearing white and peach 😠

Man, I'm disappointed with that. I'll be going to the game and was looking forward to see ATL wear an actual peach color rather than the neon orange from 2018-19. 

• Applause 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I'm sure this has been said before, but this "tradition" is awful in all sorts of ways. MLS as a league is not super popular. A lot of its teams haven't even existed for more than 10 years, some for more than a couple. Many have changed logos and branding a few different different times in their existences. Its TV ratings are stagnant. And to an average fan, flipping on a game and not being able to tell who is playing? On a soccer game I'm on the fence about caring about anyways? Keep flipping. These teams need consistency to build the brands they have and become recognizable institutions.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye15 said:

I'm sure this has been said before, but this "tradition" is awful in all sorts of ways. MLS as a league is not super popular. A lot of its teams haven't even existed for more than 10 years, some for more than a couple. Many have changed logos and branding a few different different times in their existences. Its TV ratings are stagnant. And to an average fan, flipping on a game and not being able to tell who is playing? On a soccer game I'm on the fence about caring about anyways? Keep flipping. These teams need consistency to build the brands they have and become recognizable institutions.

I think the Parley/Primeblue colab thing would be good if teams just took a color from their palate and had their jersey be that color, then have an accent (like Austin FC's away this year), just something simple that they can use every year. 

• Like 3

Glad to see they went back to the Impact colors but keeping CF means the Foot is still....afoot.

I like how the shield resembles the old Impact shield as well.  Doing everything they can to resemble Impact without committing to it.

18 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

CF Montréal have unveiled their new badge.

spacer.png

I can't help but think that some just looks off. I'm glad they re-tweaked the crest, don't get me wrong, I'm happy the blue color is a bit more prominent, and the stripes and fleur-de-lis are back, but I think it's a bit complex. Drop the roundel and use the central shield shape, and I think you have a crest that's better than 90% of the MLS.

Also, I couldn't help but think Inter Miami with the basic "shield surrounded by a roundel" shape:

Inter Miami CF - Wikipedia

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

^ that was my exact first thought too, just looks like a somewhat slapdash mix of the old Impact shield and Inter Miami. Maybe this is their revenge for Miami taking IMFC as an acronym and confused mixes of languages in the team names.

Sad to see the modernist snowflake go, a legitimately good piece of design and the only part of the update I thought made any sense. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

Also, I couldn't help but think Inter Miami with the basic "shield surrounded by a roundel" shape:

Gah, I really hate logos like this. I'm a broken record on this topic, but it should be enough to just use the shield without the roundel on the jerseys, but you know they'll end up using the whole thing on there. It's maddening.

Also,  is the circle behind the shield really necessary? Like, why can't the shield just exist within the roundel. The extra shape seems unnecessary and adds to the noise. 

• Like 3