NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (ATL/KC/QC/HFD added, Series Complete!)

vtgco

The Stars jersey would look a little better if the whole front of the jersey was a star. The rest of the sweater could be black with the green star (and sublimated star) in the center.ย 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/18/2021 at 2:12 PM, chcarlson23 said:

The Stars jersey would look a little better if the whole front of the jersey was a star. The rest of the sweater could be black with the green star (and sublimated star) in the center.ย 

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried my best here, though I'm not sure I executed this idea very well either:

KoaCN7F.png

Not really sure where I could or if I should add more green... Green outlines on the numbers felt out of place.

ย 

To not go too complicated for an O6 team, I went with very subtle tire tread marks on vertical stripes for Detroit:

6LMjL3I.png

ย 

And a simple one I'm very proud of, Edmonton:ย 

ย 

WQUgrkK.png

The Oilers get an Alberta-shaped end to a sleeve yoke, and a massive oil drop!

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (DET & EDM added)
7 hours ago, Edubdesign said:

Holy crap. I want them all, now.

ย 

Please keep this going, I want to see where this goes next.

Thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully the rest of the series lives up to your excitement.

ย 

Here's one I had a bit of a hard time with:

ย 

DGNLcS6.png

This one is based on the Panther's Florida state flag alternate logo.

ย 

And a fairly no-frills take on the assignment for LA:

ย 

NkAz1fO.png

Definitely this one feels most like the Flying V out of the series, IMO; but I feel like it's missing something.

ย 

As always, C&C appreciated.

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (FL & LA added)
57 minutes ago, scottyeagle said:

I think Florida might be your first big miss. It just doesn't evoke the Florida flag especially well. Does it work to have it right on the front of the jersey, with the ends of the X extending to the shoulders and the hips?ย 

I'd like to see how this looks. I like what you already did @vtgco but it could be better

signature2

ย 

On 12/21/2021 at 7:36 AM, scottyeagle said:

I think Florida might be your first big miss. It just doesn't evoke the Florida flag especially well. Does it work to have it right on the front of the jersey, with the ends of the X extending to the shoulders and the hips?ย 

Fair enough, I wasn't sure about it, so I appreciate the constructive criticism!

Here's a version that's a bit more straightforward, but loses the sun shoulder yoke that I liked. Oh well.

D6H4O2N.png

ย 

On 12/21/2021 at 8:34 AM, johne9109 said:

I'd like to see how this looks. I like what you already did @vtgco but it could be better

Glad the first version wasn't a total miss for you, and hopefully this version looks good to you too!

God, I hate when you start heating up because it just means I have a long post incoming.

ย 

Anaheim - I see where you are going with this one, but it just isn't working for me. Maybe break their mold and focus on something they have not looked at yet? Maybe the wings can be the starting point for inspiration? (Like UO has been doing)

ย 

Arizona - Being from the area, I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the other art style you see most often in the state outside of native inspired patterns. I actually like this much much more than Kachina, and believe it would be a fantastic third (especially with the Coyote on top of the mesa). As for the updated state logo, you need to send that right to the inbox of Adidas/NHL/Coyotes. The Yotes lack consistency across their rebrand. Despite the change being made, it still feels like their identity is stuck in purgatory. That AZ Kachina logo would really help unify the brand.

ย 

Boston - It's a bit terrifying tbh, but I am not opposed considering it is a short term experiment much like the reverse retro project. Maybe try a gold base with black stripes instead? Boston desperately needs a gold option.

ย 

Buffalo - The Sabres have a perfect brand for what the NHL was trying to do with LA and Colorado in their recent Stadium Series. I love this look outside of the bland socks. I'd modify those to be blue with stripes that match the sleeves. Right now, it is giving me uneven vibes that reminds me of their alts from 2013 - 2015. Other than that, this one also gets a thumbs up to go full time alt.

ย 

Carolina - Very clever, but something about it feels awkward. Maybe trying a thick, horizontal chest stripe in the same style as your current chest? I know it would take away the "H", but I honestly don't think the negative space letter would read that well on the ice.

ย 

Calgary - Can't complain about this one at all. I like the flame that you used. To make it more Calgary you could just say you took it from the Alt Captain "A" haha! I real full-circle, backdoor way of saying it is Atlanta's logo without treating fans to memories of another franchise. Love the gold with red pants option, but all three that you have made would work.

ย 

Chicago - Wouldn't take away from the current concept because it is pretty frickin cool and clever, but I don't think they need another option that is only black/white. Maybe use a small amount of red/orange/yellow/green from their feathers? Nothing crazy, just subtle accents that would really pop.

ย 

Columbus - I like the inspiration, but I don't think the execution is all there. Instead of using the Reebok Edge under arm style, why not just make the shoulders blue and have the red part of the flag as a horizontal stripe down the sleeves? I also think cream is unnecessary. A white base would be sharp and modern, fitting the theme of "Turning Ahead The Clock" much better.

ย 

Colorado - Not much to say on this one. The better look of the two from that Stadium Series game. Great "don't fix what isn't broken" pick for the series.

ย 

Dallas - I adore the beveled version of this throwback! Only complaint is the "Yee-Haw" star that is sublimated. I suggest just doing the outline of Texas in a similar beveled style. I bet those would really sell!

ย 

Detroit - At first I thought "what a brilliant reference to the Ford Mustang", but then I realized that wasn't the actual inspiration. I think the jersey is perfect for such a traditional organization. Only thing I'd add is the Stadium Series "D" logo in some capacity.

ย 

Edmonton - No criticism on this one. I think these are extreme upgrades compared to their current, bland alt.ย 

ย 

Florida

(Option 1) - I agree with @scottyeagleย on this one. It looks more like a cluttered attempt at TCU's football jerseys. I am also not seeing the flag in it.

(Option 2) - This one is a definite winner. Is it the road most traveled when it comes to Panthers concepts? Yes, but it just works. If you want to personalize it a little, I suggest using the prowling panther in some capacity outside of the pants. The shoulders also look a little bare. Maybe try a recolored version of the palm tree stick logo to fill the space?

ย 

Los Angeles - I agree with you when you say this jersey is "missing something". Could it be that it truly portrays "Kings", but doesn't do much to capture the location of the team? This is definitely a tough one to fix considering I do like it a lot as is. My biggest problem, again, is the plain, solid colored socks that don't match the rest of the uniform. Maybe simply adding the lion logo at the top of the middle point or on the shoulders would be enough to tie it all together? If you are feeling bold, you could always use "Los Angeles" on the hem like they did with their primaries from 1998 to 2011. If you go that route, you'd be giving the Kings a jersey that references the only era they haven't used as a throwback in recent history. Don't give up on this direction, I think you uncovered something with a lot of potential!

ย 

If this criticism comes off harsh, I want to clarify that I love your work and all the dynamic ideas you bring to hockey. You are doing a great job of anchoring reality with your modern flair, which the NHL (and all of hockey) desperately needs. Going back, your design consistency throughout other threads has been very hit or miss, so I applaud your ability to develop a style that not only is uniquely you, but also works on the highest professional level. Always refreshing and exciting to see your name on a thread because I know the content will always be engaging, no matter how I feel about the individual concepts! Keep up the good work.ย 

ย 

ย 

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

Fair enough, I wasn't sure about it, so I appreciate the constructive criticism!

Here's a version that's a bit more straightforward, but loses the sun shoulder yoke that I liked. Oh well.

D6H4O2N.png

ย 

Glad the first version wasn't a total miss for you, and hopefully this version looks good to you too!

YES!

signature2

ย 

8 hours ago, vtgco said:

I don't think you have to abandon the sun shoulder yoke entirely, I feel like it would work much better on a blue jersey where it wouldn't clash or require a distracting outline.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts /ย Website

8 hours ago, johne9109 said:

YES!

Yay!

ย 

5 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

I don't think you have to abandon the sun shoulder yoke entirely, I feel like it would work much better on a blue jersey where it wouldn't clash or require a distracting outline.

Yeah, maybe it's not for a Saltire jersey, but I certainly would love to get it somewhere... Kinda hard to make it work together with red without that blue container, though:

J8t6xYz.png

Not totally sure about this striping.

ย 

------------------------------

12 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

If this criticism comes off harsh, I want to clarify that I love your work and all the dynamic ideas you bring to hockey. You are doing a great job of anchoring reality with your modern flair, which the NHL (and all of hockey) desperately needs. Going back, your design consistency throughout other threads has been very hit or miss, so I applaud your ability to develop a style that not only is uniquely you, but also works on the highest professional level. Always refreshing and exciting to see your name on a thread because I know the content will always be engaging, no matter how I feel about the individual concepts! Keep up the good work.ย 

Thank you so much; that's really nice of you to say! I guess they can't all be hits, but I'm glad to hear that I'm successfully between the orthodox and unorthodox, and that it feels appropriately professional. I appreciate your comprehensive commentsย :ย )

ย 

God, I hate when you start heating up because it just means I have a long post incoming.

I comment on the boards the same way; totally feel this lol

ย 

Boston - It's a bit terrifying tbh, but I am not opposed considering it is a short term experiment much like the reverse retro project. Maybe try a gold base with black stripes instead? Boston desperately needs a gold option.

Yeah "a bit terrifying" seems like an appropriate for reaction for some of these O6 teams, but I'm glad it works. Gold doesn't read as the logo quite as well, and it requires some even more shenanigans, but it's still kinda works IMO:

iwhynDH.png

ย 

Chicago - Wouldn't take away from the current concept because it is pretty frickin cool and clever, but I don't think they need another option that is only black/white. Maybe use a small amount of red/orange/yellow/green from their feathers? Nothing crazy, just subtle accents that would really pop.

I like black/white for Chicago; it's a nice retro vibe and they are the *Black* Hawks, after all : Pย ย 

That said, does this qualify as "nothing crazy?"

kj4gjSY.png

ย 

Buffalo - The Sabres have a perfect brand for what the NHL was trying to do with LA and Colorado in their recent Stadium Series. I love this look outside of the bland socks. I'd modify those to be blue with stripes that match the sleeves. Right now, it is giving me uneven vibes that reminds me of their alts from 2013 - 2015. Other than that, this one also gets a thumbs up to go full time alt.

Uh-oh, I'm not sure I want Cape jersey vibes, but I did want some more yellow throughout the set to go with the giant yoke. Meet you halfway?

WMdSeeE.png

ย 

Detroit - At first I thought "what a brilliant reference to the Ford Mustang", but then I realized that wasn't the actual inspiration. I think the jersey is perfect for such a traditional organization. Only thing I'd add is the Stadium Series "D" logo in some capacity.

Racecar striping didn't feel like quite enough on its own, so adding the tire treads felt like the way to go.

REALLY good idea with the D logo! I couldn't figure out where to put it on the jersey, but it totally belongs on the set.

25cc2Az.png

ย 

ย 

Columbus - I like the inspiration, but I don't think the execution is all there. Instead of using the Reebok Edge under arm style, why not just make the shoulders blue and have the red part of the flag as a horizontal stripe down the sleeves? I also think cream is unnecessary. A white base would be sharp and modern, fitting the theme of "Turning Ahead The Clock" much better.

I'd personally have Columbus go full-time with vintage white/cream throughout their brand, but white looks fine too.

I think this might be what you mean about the striping...?

Vl0w5ZF.png

ย 

ย 

Carolina - Very clever, but something about it feels awkward. Maybe trying a thick, horizontal chest stripe in the same style as your current chest? I know it would take away the "H", but I honestly don't think the negative space letter would read that well on the ice.

Totally lost about what you mean by this... Do you mean like a chest stripe made of hurricane warning flags?

ย 

Florida

(Option 1) - I agree with @scottyeagleย on this one. It looks more like a cluttered attempt at TCU's football jerseys. I am also not seeing the flag in it.

(Option 2) - This one is a definite winner. Is it the road most traveled when it comes to Panthers concepts? Yes, but it just works. If you want to personalize it a little, I suggest using the prowling panther in some capacity outside of the pants. The shoulders also look a little bare. Maybe try a recolored version of the palm tree stick logo to fill the space?

I've been kinda half-heartedly trying to do an update of the palm tree-stick logo; I'm sure someone could do it well but I haven't yet been able to get it to feel like cohesive with the current set. Barring any breakthroughs, this will have to do:

aK2Slrs.png

ย 

Arizona - Being from the area, I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the other art style you see most often in the state outside of native inspired patterns. I actually like this much much more than Kachina, and believe it would be a fantastic third (especially with the Coyote on top of the mesa). As for the updated state logo, you need to send that right to the inbox of Adidas/NHL/Coyotes. The Yotes lack consistency across their rebrand. Despite the change being made, it still feels like their identity is stuck in purgatory. That AZ Kachina logo would really help unify the brand.

Thank you! Went to Arizona for the first time this year, so this was my way of appreciating some of that (very unfamiliar) beauty : )ย Glad it comes through to a local, and certainly I'd love a different alt to replace the kinda silly purple Reverse Retro or the lingering red jersey (talk about inconsistent branding, yeesh!)

ย 

I might come back to your comments on LA and Dallas in a bit... Does your Dallas idea about beveled Texas mean instead of the star?

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (LV added)

This is very cliche but I almost think Vegas would benefit from just the original V shape that this series is based off, haha! Number font for Vegas along with the black base gives me super Anaheim Ducks vibes, also. It's hard for me to think of something creative here, maybe incorporating a sword stripe or that star logo in some way? A big pointed star stripe?? I have no idea. Really crazy that you've come up with some of these ideas on your own, creativity off the charts!ย 

On 12/23/2021 at 1:40 PM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

For Vegas, removing the pinstripe and making the collar all black could work.

I wanted to have something there to prevent the back from feeling too empty, but I hadn't considered removing the gold collar... That helps it look good, but I still fill like it's missing a final piece:

ZQO1VnT.png

ย 

On 12/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, jaytavo305 said:

This is very cliche but I almost think Vegas would benefit from just the original V shape that this series is based off, haha! Number font for Vegas along with the black base gives me super Anaheim Ducks vibes, also. It's hard for me to think of something creative here, maybe incorporating a sword stripe or that star logo in some way? A big pointed star stripe?? I have no idea. Really crazy that you've come up with some of these ideas on your own, creativity off the charts!ย 

You're right, it does look good in the original flying V format IMO!

wkF8mta.png

As for something more different altogether, here's my first attempt at your star logo idea:

w4nW64l.png

ย 

Both of these versions are still a bit rough around the edges, but they make for good alternate takes, I think! Thanks for the suggestions, and for the kind words! As for the creativity of it, these ideas came in fits and starts over a long time; IIRC the basic idea came before I started posting on the boardsย : P

ย 

13 hours ago, StevenGrant94 said:

I love this series!ย  My favourites so far are Buffalo and Calgary, but they're all very good and unique.

Glad you're enjoying it!

I was really curious about that BFBS Minnesota Wild alternate that was supposedly in the works a while back, but never materialized...

So I decided to try it myself:

ASq5Wwg.png

This jersey recreates the scene in the logo a bit, while also forming a very subtle negative space M. The colors are meant to give a *bit* of a '90s North Stars vibe, and use the original Wild fonts.

ย 

For a more festive take ( :ย P ), here it is in red:

mt7ze5W.png

Not my preference, since it feels less nocturnal, but perhaps a more obvious callback to the Wild logo.

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (MN added)

The no hem stripe version of the Knights is my fave - looks all business. The Flying V version works a treat too.

For MN, I prefer the red, the contrast between the colours feels more in your face than the black and green. Would be interested in seeing if a version with white shoulders and trees, a green M and main back, and a havest gold star (from the roundel logo) would work.

ย 

I actually want the star version of the Knights Jersey, also can I see a red-circa 2000 version of the Sabres?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im anย isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Archived