NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

36 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This is just me, but I never found the Manning-era uniform bland in the slightest. They were consistently in my top tier of the NFL. I'm a sucker for when teams pull off two contrasting aesthetics for home and away, and I've always felt the Giants since 2005 pulled that off magnificently despite using the same helmet and pants for both sets. At the time, it was also unique in being the only team to employ flat grey pants and use them as a neutral color outside and apart from their color scheme. (The inclusion of grey in the striping on the current white home pants bothers me for this exact reason since it breaks the idea that grey is just a neutral color and not part of the official color scheme.)

635772448568484493-GettyImages-459486166
1273784847.jpeg

The problem now is that the stripes on the pants are all one color. They look more like Mississippi than an NFL team, at least on the road where the only blue is on the helmet. 

New York Giants: Top Surprises from First Four Games of 2021 Season -  Sports Illustrated New York Giants News, Analysis and More

Photo: Giants' Saquon Barkley runs the ball - PHI20191209126 - UPI.com

Even with the grey pants, the fact there's no blue in the jersey throws things off, again it makes them look like a college team.

Here's a look at the first 2021 weekend of SEC football - Red Cup Rebellion

Ole Miss vs. Austin Peay 2021: Time, TV schedule and online streaming - Red  Cup Rebellion

New York Giants vs. Philadelphia Eagles: Live Stream, TV Channel, Start  Time | 11/28/2021 - How to Watch and Stream Major League & College Sports -  Sports Illustrated.

At least with this uniform you have both colors on all parts of the uniform and it just looks better overall with that color balance. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The problem now is that the stripes on the pants are all one color. They look more like Mississippi than an NFL team, at least on the road where the only blue is on the helmet. 

New York Giants: Top Surprises from First Four Games of 2021 Season -  Sports Illustrated New York Giants News, Analysis and More

New York Giants vs. Philadelphia Eagles: Live Stream, TV Channel, Start  Time | 11/28/2021 - How to Watch and Stream Major League & College Sports -  Sports Illustrated.

At least with this uniform you have both colors on all parts of the uniform and it just looks better overall with that color balance. 

If a different NFL team (like Houston currently does) wanted to be blue at home/red on the road, I would be ok with that. But for a team nicknamed "Big Blue", blue should always be thier primary color. It doesn't hurt that the design of the throwbacks/CR are pretty nice, either.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So, I disagree on two fronts.

1: I prefer the grey road pants which does have a single blue stripe.

2: For me, the relative absence of blue on the road uniform and red on the home uniform is a positive.  I don't think every team can pull off two distinct color palettes for home and away but, imo, the Giants were one that succeeded. For me, having the contrast made the Giants stand out from the rest of the league especially since they could do it by only changing the jersey and socks.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Looking at the top photo, I don’t really hate it. I know I should, but I don’t.

Matching jersey and sleeve stripes complete with color coordinated socks

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

• Like 1

I don’t know if I’m willing to die on this hill, but I think the Giants’ original return to the classic uniforms white the Blue/red/blue pants stripe on the gray pants is almost as perfect and timeless as a football uniform can get. Everything they’ve done since has been a downgrade. 

The throwback is awesome and I appreciate the attention to all of the little details down to the knit collar. However IMO, it’s not better than the “correct” uniforms with the gray pants. It’s very much of it’s time in the same way that the Cardinals uniforms are very 2004. That’s not to say they’re bad by any means , but the aesthetic with the stripes on the collar and sleeves is dated and screams 80’s-90’s to me and that’s awesome for a throwback to the LT glory days, but I think The Giants were right to move on from those uniforms, to the 2000 Super Bowl uniforms then the 2005 Eli Era uniforms. I’d take either of those sets full time before the LT uniforms, just my $.02.

• Like 5

I've said it before, but I think the late-'60s/early-'70s Giants look balances the best elements of the current look and the throwback/colour rush look. The ny logo on the helmet and the single layer numbers, plus a proper balance of blue on the white jersey. Maybe just add the GIANTS wordmark below the collar. 

spacer.png 

spacer.png

• Like 11
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

I don’t know if I’m willing to die on this hill, but I think the Giants’ original return to the classic uniforms white the Blue/red/blue pants stripe on the gray pants is almost as perfect and timeless as a football uniform can get. Everything they’ve done since has been a downgrade. 

The throwback is awesome and I appreciate the attention to all of the little details down to the knit collar. However IMO, it’s not better than the “correct” uniforms with the gray pants. It’s very much of it’s time in the same way that the Cardinals uniforms are very 2004. That’s not to say they’re bad by any means , but the aesthetic with the stripes on the collar and sleeves is dated and screams 80’s-90’s to me and that’s awesome for a throwback to the LT glory days, but I think The Giants were right to move on from those uniforms, to the 2000 Super Bowl uniforms then the 2005 Eli Era uniforms. I’d take either of those sets full time before the LT uniforms, just my $.02.

What's your preferred Giants road set?

A.

102912690.jpeg

B.
 Giants-old-away-unis-Getty-Images.jpg?fi

C.
77331464cc022_super_bowl_xl.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spartacat_12 said:

I've said it before, but I think the late-'60s/early-'70s Giants look balances the best elements of the current look and the throwback/colour rush look. The ny logo on the helmet and the single layer numbers, plus a proper balance of blue on the white jersey. Maybe just add the GIANTS wordmark below the collar. 

spacer.png 

spacer.png

^^This is what the should wear 'til the end of time.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

A.

102912690.jpeg

B.

C.

A and B are the same. Players will wear all-white socks with both, so the color won't matter.

If I had to pick, A with the red socks is better.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png 

spacer.png

I think we might be headed in that direction eventually.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

A.

102912690.jpeg

B.

C.

That’s honestly a tough one, seeing them all together. I think C and B might be tied for 1st, maybe C by an nose for oldtimey  points. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

They couldn't at least try to match the helmets like the Rams did?

When did the Rams match a royal blue helmet with a throwback jersey? 

These Giants unis are throwbacks, not brand new creations. If the Rams wore 70s-90s jersey, I'd want the true look with the navy helmet like they did it until 2019, not a fauxback. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

57 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Looks like the Giants will use Super Bowl endzones from that era too.

This is cool, but blue endzones with giant red letters outlined in white (like the turf at Giants Stadium) would have been cool too. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

NOW THAT'S A FOOTBALL UNIFORM!

These look great.   Their regular uniforms are not terrible, but these are just classic, and the use of LT here is tremendous.  These look so good, and the mismatched helmet color is historically accurate - that will bother some people, and I'm sure it would look good color-matched, but kind of like the Cowboys' pants, it makes it authentic.  

I'd have no issue with them going back to these and the White Color Rush as a full-time set at all.  Just beautiful.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

They couldn't at least try to match the helmets like the Rams did?

Sooo they actually wore mismatching sh1t in the 80s (i'd like to know why they did) -- Royal jerseys, navy lids.

If When the Giants go back to this look full-time in a couple seasons, I hope the correct this so the blues are all uniform.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This is just me, but I never found the Manning-era uniform bland in the slightest. They were consistently in my top tier of the NFL. I'm a sucker for when teams pull off two contrasting aesthetics for home and away, and I've always felt the Giants since 2005 pulled that off magnificently despite using the same helmet and pants for both sets. At the time, it was also unique in being the only team to employ flat grey pants and use them as a neutral color outside and apart from their color scheme. (The inclusion of grey in the striping on the current white home pants bothers me for this exact reason since it breaks the idea that grey is just a neutral color and not part of the official color scheme.)

635772448568484493-GettyImages-459486166
1273784847.jpeg

Even though I hate the Giants, I’ve maintained for a long time on these boards that this look is one of the best in the NFL and one of my personal favorites. The helmet is top 5 for me easily. Absolutely gorgeous uniform and fitting for a team as old as the Giants.  

The GIANTS helmet with those uniforms has always been the definition of a bland generic football uniform. I honestly feel like the only reason why people clamor for them is because of the nostalgia associated with it, not because it’s objectively a good, interesting uniform. 

• Like 2

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC