NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

20 hours ago, ripall90 said:

that is kind of a band wagon fallacy. I agree unique does not mean good but neither does copying make something good 

So you made it to the fallacies unit in english? Did they also tell you about ‘fallacy fallacy,’ wherein one assumes rightness sheerly by pointing out a fallacy?

Like Ridleylash said, there’s no bandwagon thats keeping classic looking teams looking classic and wacky looking teams constantly changing (or their fans pounding the table for a change) and whittling away at their brand. If anything, I committed begging the question by saying that the Rams shiny accents were bad because they are bad. So I’ll start there and hopefully everything else will come into perspective:

The Rams sparkly bits are ridiculous because they ask the uniform to do something that it was never a uniforms job to do. The job of the football uniform is to differentiate the teams that are playing on the field so that they don’t have to all wear the same generic, NFL-branded jersey. When you flip on the tube, you don’t have to squint and recognize that one team has a black signal caller with a jersey with a big number 15 on it and MAHOMES written on the back throwing the ball to a white receiver whose jersey says 87 and KELCE on it to know that you’re looking at the Kansas City Chiefs. You already knew that as soon as you saw those bright red jerseys with white and yellow sequenced stripes on the sleeves. It’s a jersey that has done its job for the last 50 some odd years and to this day, their stands are packed with passionate fans all wearing the same jersey, representing players and teams from several decades and eras. It’s a job well done.

Even without any sort of legacy behind the design, if you take the Rams new design and left off the weird vinyl crap, you would have a jersey that does its job perfectly fine by telling us “this is the Rams! not the Raiders! not the Cardinals! the RAMS!” with its royal blue base and yellow numbers and unique horns on the sleeves. When people see the shiny stuff, do they think “oh yes, the classic shiny stuff of the Los Angeles Rams”? No, it’s more like “ah, they sure do have some shiny stuff on there I guess.” It’s unique, though it doesn’t do any job such as differentiating the team or carrying on a legacy. It’s just there to prove that they could put it on there. It begs and promotes itself moreso than anything related to the ongoing brand of the Los Angeles Rams, so it is ridiculous and bad.

I know you weren’t talking about the Rams (perhaps a Strawman?), but this just goes to show the logical pattern that dictates most of the dogma on these boards, as I’ve witnessed over the last decade that I’ve posted here. It’s not about teams not breaking from the tried-and-true aesthetic of the game because they’re scared of being scorned by their bandwagon peers. It’s about an aesthetic that the game has taken shape around since it was invented because it promotes the teams brand without mugging for likes from people who will have a completely different taste for what is and isn’t cool five years from now. It’s the reason why the Rams current look won’t last any longer than the Jags last look while the Raiders will be wearing plain black shirts with plain silver numbers till the sun explodes. Even the Chargers and Bengals, who have decidedly ‘modern’ getups, fit the aesthetic to a T with their last rebrands. They have a color scheme that’s unique to them, they have a stripe/logo that is unique to them, add numbers and last names per league regulations, and boom. A good-looking jersey that does its job. Nothing else needed and no fallacies.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Applause 5

4 hours ago, Survival79 said:

The Patriots should never wear Navy over Navy again.

This is such an improvement and one I personally, like so many others here, have been calling for from the start of this uniform set.  

I hope they wear it with their White jerseys, too.  Quick test on Madden proves that it looks better than White over Navy (because, duh, their helmet is Silver).

• Like 8

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

That's a cool helmet, but that effect is much easier to pull off when it's two darkish colors rather than black and gold.  

Also being the same finish helps, trying to blend gloss to black was such a poor choice I’m surprised it turned out as well as it did which isn’t saying much

That's exactly the misstep. But it also creates an aesthetic clash with the way the black stripes lay bare on the white jersey, but that's why they have two separate white pants to begin with. Need one that is colored in for the home, one that is white-on-black for the road. They really fudged that up.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

So you made it to the fallacies unit in english? Did they also tell you about ‘fallacy fallacy,’ wherein one assumes rightness sheerly by pointing out a fallacy?

Like Ridleylash said, there’s no bandwagon thats keeping classic looking teams looking classic and wacky looking teams constantly changing (or their fans pounding the table for a change) and whittling away at their brand. If anything, I committed begging the question by saying that the Rams shiny accents were bad because they are bad. So I’ll start there and hopefully everything else will come into perspective:

The Rams sparkly bits are ridiculous because they ask the uniform to do something that it was never a uniforms job to do. The job of the football uniform is to differentiate the teams that are playing on the field so that they don’t have to all wear the same generic, NFL-branded jersey. When you flip on the tube, you don’t have to squint and recognize that one team has a black signal caller with a jersey with a big number 15 on it and MAHOMES written on the back throwing the ball to a white receiver whose jersey says 87 and KELCE on it to know that you’re looking at the Kansas City Chiefs. You already knew that as soon as you saw those bright red jerseys with white and yellow sequenced stripes on the sleeves. It’s a jersey that has done its job for the last 50 some odd years and to this day, their stands are packed with passionate fans all wearing the same jersey, representing players and teams from several decades and eras. It’s a job well done.

Even without any sort of legacy behind the design, if you take the Rams new design and left off the weird vinyl crap, you would have a jersey that does its job perfectly fine by telling us “this is the Rams! not the Raiders! not the Cardinals! the RAMS!” with its royal blue base and yellow numbers and unique horns on the sleeves. When people see the shiny stuff, do they think “oh yes, the classic shiny stuff of the Los Angeles Rams”? No, it’s more like “ah, they sure do have some shiny stuff on there I guess.” It’s unique, though it doesn’t do any job such as differentiating the team or carrying on a legacy. It’s just there to prove that they could put it on there. It begs and promotes itself moreso than anything related to the ongoing brand of the Los Angeles Rams, so it is ridiculous and bad.

I know you weren’t talking about the Rams (perhaps a Strawman?), but this just goes to show the logical pattern that dictates most of the dogma on these boards, as I’ve witnessed over the last decade that I’ve posted here. It’s not about teams not breaking from the tried-and-true aesthetic of the game because they’re scared of being scorned by their bandwagon peers. It’s about an aesthetic that the game has taken shape around since it was invented because it promotes the teams brand without mugging for likes from people who will have a completely different taste for what is and isn’t cool five years from now. It’s the reason why the Rams current look won’t last any longer than the Jags last look while the Raiders will be wearing plain black shirts with plain silver numbers till the sun explodes. Even the Chargers and Bengals, who have decidedly ‘modern’ getups, fit the aesthetic to a T with their last rebrands. They have a color scheme that’s unique to them, they have a stripe/logo that is unique to them, add numbers and last names per league regulations, and boom. A good-looking jersey that does its job. Nothing else needed and no fallacies.

The Rams uniforms are too boring. They arent flashy or over the top. And navy and gold looked better than blue and yellow. And my point was I said I thought the jags half gold helmet looked cool and the person replied "well no other teams do it" okay so what?

• Hurl 1
  • Huh? 2
  • Dislike 2

20 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

How is it a "bandwagon fallacy" to point out that certain design trends have always worked while others just keep failing? The gradient Jags helmets were ugly as sin and couldn't even be marketspoken into acceptability. The Rams' bone jerseys were a colossal misstep that they've already begun minimizing in favor of the more traditional look.

Meanwhile, people by and large loved the Bengals' rebrand because it didn't embrace :censored:ty gimmicks like gradients or gimmick colors like bone, and just focused on making a good-looking ensemble. There's a reason this rebrand;

spacer.png

...went down so much better than this rebrand;

spacer.png

The Bengals and Rams uniforms both suck. And yes just because something is popular does not make it good. Somethings work for some teams others not so much.

• Huh? 4

5 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

They arent flashy or over the top.

I understand using the word objectively is unhelpful on a board derived from people's opinions and personal aesthetic preferences, but this is objectively untrue.

In what world are gradient patterned numbers, highlighter yellow, and "bone" and white touching each other not flashy? The entire set is based around trend chasing and gimmicks for the sake of appealing to younger audiences, and it shows. It is far from boring. Uniforms like the Packers' or Raiders' sets are boring, though classic and untouchable. The Rams are nothing remotely close to what could reasonably be described as boring.

The Bengals, on the other hand, took their previous set and removed all the leftover gimmicks from the early 2000s, making for a tastefully modern uniform that's the best they've ever looked. The 2 styles of white pants is odd, but understandable. How you think this set is anything worse than average is beyond me. It is perfectly inoffensive at worst and a top-10 look at best.

• Like 5

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

6 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

and not having TV numbers

I think not having them actually helped. Look at how goofed up the Panthers can look with different sizes of TV numbers. 

Carolina Panthers release 2022 NFL schedule

http://arizonasports.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/FYCItX0XkAMw2gE-e1658285590359.jpg

• Like 5

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

I understand using the word objectively is unhelpful on a board derived from people's opinions and personal aesthetic preferences, but this is objectively untrue.

In what world are gradient patterned numbers, highlighter yellow, and "bone" and white touching each other not flashy? The entire set is based around trend chasing and gimmicks for the sake of appealing to younger audiences, and it shows. It is far from boring. Uniforms like the Packers' or Raiders' sets are boring, though classic and untouchable. The Rams are nothing remotely close to what could reasonably be described as boring.

The Bengals, on the other hand, took their previous set and removed all the leftover gimmicks from the early 2000s, making for a tastefully modern uniform that's the best they've ever looked. The 2 styles of white pants is odd, but understandable. How you think this set is anything worse than average is beyond me. It is perfectly inoffensive at worst and a top-10 look at best.

Those are gimmicky but not flashy. 90 percent of people can't tell you the difference between bone white and normal white. It just plain looks like it needs another wash. The reflective numbers are kinda flashy but again it is situational. The yellow shade  was just a mistake in color choice. Every young person I speak to say both Bengals and Rams look boring besides the helmets. And classic uniforms work for really old teams. I guess I would not hate the Rams going  back to their throwbacks full time but newer teams like the Jags just look generic. They dont have that legacy the packers or raiders have

No way Bengals are anywhere near the top ten. Maybe sucks is a hard word but I do think they are at best average and at worst very forgettable. Besides the helmet which has been a staple there just isn't anything unique about it. I cant say what they should change, maybe the font but it just looks really boring especially the white jersey

• Huh? 2
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 2

29 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

The Rams uniforms are too boring. They arent flashy or over the top. And navy and gold looked better than blue and yellow. And my point was I said I thought the jags half gold helmet looked cool and the person replied "well no other teams do it" okay so what?

What didn’t you understand? There is a reason no other teams have done it, it’s also why they switched away from it at the first available possibility. It doesn’t look good, and is just a gimmick that has a shelf life. It’s not like the original uniform that all it needed were it’s colors of teal, black and gold, with an all black helmet and custom number font and were instantly recognizable from any one else in the league. They could have worn that uniform for eternity. They chose not to do that and hop on every gimmick and trend chase and haven’t been able to stick to one uniform for longer than 5 years minimum (one they got an exemption to 4 years)

• Like 5

My ranking of all NFL uniforms (standard home and away)

32. Commies

31. Cardinals

30. Jaguars

29. Ravens

28. Panthers

27. Texans

26. Patriots

25. Eagles

24. Chiefs 

23. Bengals

22. Lions

21. Rams 

20. Giants 

19. Colts 

18. Broncos 

17. Browns 

16. Dolphins 

15. Titans 

14. Bears 

13. Jets 

12. Vikings

11. Bills

10. Cowboys 

9. Packers 

8. 49ers 

7. Steelers 

6. Falcons 

5. Chargers 

4. Raiders 

3. Bucs 

2. Seahawks 

1. Saints 

• LOL 7
  • Hurl 3
  • Meh 2
  • Huh? 1

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

What didn’t you understand? There is a reason no other teams have done it, it’s also why they switched away from it at the first available possibility. It doesn’t look good, and is just a gimmick that has a shelf life. It’s not like the original uniform that all it needed were it’s colors of teal, black and gold, with an all black helmet and custom number font and were instantly recognizable from any one else in the league. They could have worn that uniform for eternity. They chose not to do that and hop on every gimmick and trend chase and haven’t been able to stick to one uniform for longer than 5 years minimum (one they got an exemption to 4 years)

I wouldnt mind if the jags went back to their 90s uniforms. But Im just saying I believe a lot of people overreacted to their 2015 uniforms 

• Huh? 1
  • Dislike 3

47 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

Those are gimmicky but not flashy. 90 percent of people can't tell you the difference between bone white and normal white. It just plain looks like it needs another wash. The reflective numbers are kinda flashy but again it is situational. The yellow shade  was just a mistake in color choice. Every young person I speak to say both Bengals and Rams look boring besides the helmets. And classic uniforms work for really old teams. I guess I would not hate the Rams going  back to their throwbacks full time but newer teams like the Jags just look generic. They dont have that legacy the packers or raiders have

No way Bengals are anywhere near the top ten. Maybe sucks is a hard word but I do think they are at best average and at worst very forgettable. Besides the helmet which has been a staple there just isn't anything unique about it. I cant say what they should change, maybe the font but it just looks really boring especially the white jersey

You forgot to preface your assessment with "in my opinion".

• Like 3