NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

35 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Apparently the Texans have begun early exploration on updating their uniforms. I would put Houston firmly in the category of solid, modern uniforms that could so very easily be tossed aside for the next Nike monstrosity. The article says fans have been clamoring for new uniforms but a lot of times, you don’t realize how good you have it until you’re wearing a gradient with wordmarks down the leg and shiny trim. I would be happy if they stuck with what they have.

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/how-the-battle-red-helmet-inspired-a-texans-uniform-change

Translation: After 20 years of wearing the same thing, football team discovers fans like new, bright, shiny objects, even if they're terrible. So their solution is to keep chasing that dragon. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Apparently the Texans have begun early exploration on updating their uniforms. I would put Houston firmly in the category of solid, modern uniforms that could so very easily be tossed aside for the next Nike monstrosity. The article says fans have been clamoring for new uniforms but a lot of times, you don’t realize how good you have it until you’re wearing a gradient with wordmarks down the leg and shiny trim. I would be happy if they stuck with what they have.

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/how-the-battle-red-helmet-inspired-a-texans-uniform-change

The Texans cannot realistically get better with any uniform change. They have one of the most solid identities in the NFL, with a great name & logo, colors that suit the area and the team, and a design that seems traditional and modern at the same time.

They should never change.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

It has to be the navy throwbacks, because the uniform had to be in last year's style guide for them to pair it with the new alt helmet. That's why we aren't seeing Bucco Bruce or the royal Seahawks.

Pretty sure they'll be able to wear with either alternate. Same reasoning why the Saints have paired their black helmet with the Color Rush Throwbacks. I'd prefer a navy throwback, but there's still a reasonable chance the throwback helmet will be paired with the white double-outline-star-shoulder throwbacks they've worn the last few years.

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Just now, PERRIN said:

Pretty sure they'll be able to wear with either alternate. Same reasoning why the Saints have paired their black helmet with the Color Rush Throwbacks. I'd prefer a navy throwback, but there's still a reasonable chance the throwback helmet will be paired with the white double-outline-star-shoulder throwbacks they've worn the last few years.

Yes, they can legally wear the white helmet with the 1990's throwback Color Rush, but the 1960s white throwback is what was being mentioned, which they cannot wear until next year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

That would be interesting. Maybe? There is a lot of white on this uniform, so maybe a navy throwback vs. the Giants royal blue would contrast enough, but we'll see. I do agree it's strange that we haven't seen the throwbacks at all, although the Cowboys have seemingly indicated it's the old throwbacks from last decade, also judging too from their pro-store and the jerseys they sell. 

I think most people would be content if the Texans just went with the red lids full time. Their set is maybe a tad bland in that it's navy over white like some other team but the font is solid, the sleeve design is nice. I might consider swapping the colors on the white pant stripe but I think the one they've had still works ok.

Maybe just rolling with the red helmet adds a little spice?

I get wanting an update but I think if you've stumbled upon a modern classic right out the gate, there's no reason to change. Just ask Jacksonville and Carolina.

• Like 6

Just now, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The Texans cannot realistically get better with any uniform change. They have one of the most solid identities in the NFL, with a great name & logo, colors that suit the area and the team, and a design that seems traditional and modern at the same time.

They should never change.

I like their set a good amount, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's perfect. It's a bit on the bland side compared to much of the league and - to me at least - is one of the most forgettable sets in the league, as inoffensive and timeless as it is. If they're gonna rebrand, they should go for something slightly more modern but still tasteful, preferably prioritizing red over navy. I'd be ecstatic if the Texans went with something like this concept I made, inspired by @nate.sweitz's Texans concept

ptQLtWp.png

I know I always plug my own concepts when discussing how a team should look, (apologies to the mods if that's a problem) but I feel like it's worth posting for the sake of discussing alternative options.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

lBzmcSM.png

13 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

Is it possible the new owner of Washington would change that terrible name? Even if not would a new owner be granted a waiver to change the uniforms?

Yes it's possible. Ownership of any team can change their name and branding. However I doubt a waiver would be granted to speed up the process. A new owner would have to wait for the Commanders name to reach the 5 year mark before changing it.

Safest bet. They WILL NOT go back to the old name. In fact, I'd be willing to bet the league would officially ban teams from having names of ethnic groups before Washington could rebrand again. Likely including wording that would allow the Chiefs and Vikings to keep their names as is.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

4 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Yes it's possible. Ownership of any team can change their name and branding. However I doubt a waiver would be granted to speed up the process. A new owner would have to wait for the Commanders name to reach the 5 year mark before changing it.

Safest bet. They WILL NOT go back to the old name. In fact, I'd be willing to bet the league would officially ban teams from having names of ethnic groups before Washington could rebrand again. Likely including wording that would allow the Chiefs and Vikings to keep their names as is.

Pretty sure that isn't true. If I'm not mistaken, changes in ownership are an exception to the five year rule. If ownership changes, you can get new Uniforms as soon as you want. For instance, the mid 2010s Jaguars changed from their Reebok monstrosities to their Nike monstrosities in less than five years. 

• Like 4

da0Lbhs.png

14 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

Is it possible the new owner of Washington would change that terrible name? Even if not would a new owner be granted a waiver to change the uniforms?

there's a 5 year rule they have to wait for. I don't think the name is changing but the uniforms are so gone as soon as they can. 

• Like 2

XM4KeeA.png

I’m not really crazy about the red helmet for the Texans. I think blue is far and away the best option between the the two. The only changes I’d like to see them make would be to wear red socks with the blue pants, change up the pants stripe to a single solid tapered stripe to match the shoulders and maybe promote the red jersey to primary. They don’t need to reinvent the wheel, maybe just polish up the rims.

Relating to the Commanders: everything about the rebrand sucks, name, logos, uniforms. Washington football team was better in every single way and if I had my way they’d go back to that ASAP. If/when Snyder sells the team I’d assume we will at least get the classic Washington uniforms back, but probably with a W on the helmet. They’ll be the Slurs/WFT in all but name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think most people would be content if the Texans just went with the red lids full time. Their set is maybe a tad bland in that it's navy over white like some other team but the font is solid, the sleeve design is nice. I might consider swapping the colors on the white pant stripe but I think the one they've had still works ok.

Maybe just rolling with the red helmet adds a little spice?

I get wanting an update but I think if you've stumbled upon a modern classic right out the gate, there's no reason to change. Just ask Jacksonville and Carolina.

In fairness, the Jags were constantly tweaking their design right out of the gate.

• Like 4

The Houston Texans would be wise to update their look.  It's time.

I, for one, am not a fan of the Battle Red helmet, though I will reserve final judgement until seeing it tonight.  I feel Navy or Red are not ideal helmets for them; I think White is the proper choice and in Houston, it just makes sense due to the Oilers history.  I feel the logo gets lost on either color, Navy or Red, and would stand out best on White, with the addition of striping. 

I do have an affinity for White helmets with Navy masks, especially when Red is the 3rd color.  

This sure is a solid concept:  

ptQLtWp.png

I'd love to see a Navy jersey in this template.  Shoulder yoke makes me think of the Texas flag; might be able to drop a Star onto the outside shoulder and have the Nike Swoosh be an opposite color than said star.  Navy & White home & away jerseys would be all you'd need; Red could be an alt, but I think a Grey "Space City" themed uniform (NASA influences) could also be a nice 3rd.  Think UCF Space Game unis, but with Navy & Red instead of Black/Blue.

Keeping the helmet Navy wouldn't be a loss, but I think the addition of some sort of striping and a different paint finish would help it not feel so bland.

Lastly, I'd like to see bolder, square-edged fonts come back into play.   One of the last projects I worked on at my former employer was designing new football uniforms for Stetson University.  They have a proprietary font that isn't my favorite, but works well here with how big we were able to get Nike to make them (10" front, 12" back...Nike Team originally had 8" front, 10" back, then went to 10"/12", and is now back to 9"/11"):

312554542_444473761159355_60607525888634

308860566_5516849608400301_1482012379682

NOTE:  I had no say in the helmet stripe, that was existing.  And I pushed for matching striped socks but it was a no-go.

• Like 3

I think the Texans could get away with keeping their Navy helmet if they just swapped out to a Vikings-like satin paint finish and a Red face guard.  I used to work with Shippensburg University and always thought their helmet looked good:

245215288_10226355556701042_398335104737

Another shameless plug:  this was their Alt Grey (Nike Pewter, only grey available at the time outside of Anthracite) uni that I did for them when they signed their Nike deal back in 2015.   I believe they still wear it for Homecoming.  If they ever decide to replace this old set, I hope they replicate the same uniform, just updating to Nike's better Dark Steel Grey, their custom wordmark, and a current Nike Font (RIP Ithaca font, you were discontinued too soon).   A Navy collar wouldn't hurt .  Always thought it was a great look for them, and I mention it here to show how Grey can work really well with Navy & Red:

636097291510714452-CPO-AG-091816-SU-Clar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Volt said:

ptQLtWp.png

I'd love to see a Navy jersey in this template.  Shoulder yoke makes me think of the Texas flag; might be able to drop a Star onto the outside shoulder and have the Nike Swoosh be an opposite color than said star.  

I did include a navy jersey when I made that concept (as well as an Oilers throwback just for kicks and giggles; I know it's legally impossible but I'm having fun with my concepts haha), but the whole experiment of the concept was to see what a redesigned red-first set would look like for the Texans. The striping was indeed inspired by the Texas flag. I steered away from stars on the navy segments to avoid similarities to the Cowboys, plus it just looked a bit cartoonish for my taste. Ignore the TV numbers; I initially included them before realizing they didn't fit, so I removed them in the later version that I posted in this thread. As for the number font idea, I'd be fine with that as well. Admittedly my custom font was a bit rushed. That 4 looks wonkier every time I look at it. 

1jwO4h5.png

1 hour ago, Volt said:

One of the last projects I worked on at my former employer was designing new football uniforms for Stetson University.

312554542_444473761159355_60607525888634
NOTE:  I had no say in the helmet stripe, that was existing.  And I pushed for matching striped socks but it was a no-go.

Very cool to see people here on the boards involved with making actual uniforms. I'd love to hear more about what that job is like, that'd be a dream job for me.

Also, a lil fun fact, I met the great-great-great-grandson of Stetson University's founder when I was younger, he was named after the school. He was a friend of my neighbor and went to my church before I started attending. Solid kid, great at pickup football. 

• Like 5

lBzmcSM.png