2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

14 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Speaking of Sabres, it always curious me (esepcially that Sabres team with Peca, Hasek and Satan was my faviourite one back in early 00's) why this logo is named a Goathead when it isn't a Goathead but Bisonhead, there is any explanation behind that?

58 minutes ago, Ark said:

Same reason the 90s Penguins logo is called the Robo Penguin even though it looks like an actual penguin

And the same reason the late 90s Bruins bear logo is called Pooh Bear even though it’s a fairly accurate rendition of a bear (c.f. Meth Bear for a less accurate rendition).

• Like 1

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

9 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

And the same reason the late 90s Bruins bear logo is called Pooh Bear even though it’s a fairly accurate rendition of a bear (c.f. Meth Bear for a less accurate rendition).

Robo Penguin and Pooh Bear aren't as egregious because in the end the animal being described is the same.

A goat is quite different than a buffalo. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Robo Penguin and Pooh Bear aren't as egregious because in the end the animal being described is the same.

A goat is quite different than a buffalo. 

I don’t disagree (how could I?), but the bigger main point is that fans who dislike a logo will come up with a pejorative shorthand to describe it.

• Like 1

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

16 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Speaking of Sabres, it always curious me (esepcially that Sabres team with Peca, Hasek and Satan was my faviourite one back in early 00's) why this logo is named a Goathead when it isn't a Goathead but Bisonhead, there is any explanation behind that?

The late Jim Kelley, a Sabres beat reporter in the '90s, first called the logo a '"demonic goat head" in an article about the opening of the Marine Midland Arena in 1996.  The name stuck. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, B-mer said:

as of now i'm having trouble seeing the black numbers work on the road. I'll wait to see the final product but imagining it, they just seem to stand out too much.

Is this for the Sharks? The concept has teal numbers on the road whites. At least they look teal on the sleeves, which would probably match the back.  

17 minutes ago, Echo said:

The late Jim Kelley, a Sabres beat reporter in the '90s, first called the logo a '"demonic goat head" in an article about the opening of the Marine Midland Arena in 1996.  The name stuck. 

By BUDD BAILEY AND JIM KELLEY, COMPILED BY JIM KELLEY AND MAURY MAY, COMPILED BY JIM PETERS AND JIM KELLEY, JIM KELLEY, JIM KELLEY AND BUDD BAILEY, JIM KELLEY NEWS SPORTS REPORTER, MILT NORTHROP AND JIM KELLEY, VIC CARUCCI AND JIM KELLEY

Thank you for your contributions, Jim

• LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Is this for the Sharks? The concept has teal numbers on the road whites. At least they look teal on the sleeves, which would probably match the back.  

Yes the Sharks, sorry.  But no, they are definitely black, just like the Barracuda's set here: 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AnPheitseog said:

because it looks like a goat's head. Just in the same way that the slug looked like a slug.

(I dont see it, but that's where it came from)

Wasn't it more that the jersey looked like a goat head? 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think that's overthinking it. People saw a fluffy, horned white animal and said it looked like a goat. The sweater itself was just a bunch of ugly side panels.

That sweater/identity really had a multitude of sins once you break it down. Obviously, it was cluttered and not particularly legible, and going from a logo that said "Buffalo Sabres" to "Buffalo" was a downgrade, but the worst aspect of it was that they abandoned one conventional color scheme for a markedly different but also conventional color scheme. The dark-n-fade was bad enough when teams did that, but going from blue and gold to black and red made no sense. Imagine if the Devils just woke up one day and started looking like the Maple Leafs. That would be ridiculous, as it was when the Sabres did it. Among other forms of idiotproofing the league sorely needed in the 1990s was some properties department to say "no, you really shouldn't do that, it's ugly and stupid." 

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It looks like the Sens have unveiled their 30th anniversary logo.

spacer.png

Pretty minimalist, but I like it. Should make for a nice looking patch on the jerseys (although with the ads who knows where it will be placed). I wonder if it's a hint at the Peace Tower script potentially being used on the reverse retro.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I wonder if it's a hint at the Peace Tower script potentially being used on the reverse retro.

Eh, dunno about that. The T-shirt leak was black-dominant with the modern logo on it; I feel like that indicates their direction will be either be a black version of this with swapped logos; spacer.png

or maybe just doing this jersey with the updated shade of gold and the modern logo on the front;

spacer.png

The original pre-expansion Sens dark jersey was already black and lacked gold entirely, so there's not exactly a lot to really reverse or play with if they're doing a black jersey, like the shirt implies.

spacer.png

52 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Pretty minimalist, but I like it. Should make for a nice looking patch on the jerseys (although with the ads who knows where it will be placed). I wonder if it's a hint at the Peace Tower script potentially being used on the reverse retro.

Looks like they're finally using true anniversary years.

With the first season being 92/93, the team used the 10th in 2001/02, 20th in 2011/12, and 25th in 2016/17 (all of which could have been xth seasons instead of x years)...but the team does sell some stuff saying it was established in 1991. 

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Looks like they're finally using true anniversary years.

With the first season being 92/93, the team used the 10th in 2001/02, 20th in 2011/12, and 25th in 2016/17 (all of which could have been xth seasons instead of x years)...but the team does sell some stuff saying it was established in 1991. 

They were awarded the franchise in 1991, but didn't start playing until 1992, which has caused some confusion.

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

Love it! I'm a lifelong Sens fan and was waiting with excitement to see what they'd do, and it's great. Nice, clean, crisp - a subtle nod to the early days and the campaign to get the team back. Also hoping it teases the old Parliament logo coming back on the Reverse Retro - it seems like such an obvious idea for the RR, it's the perfect place for it to finally see some ice time after all these years.

54 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

As I look at Ottawa, I wonder why they didn't complete the "black on red" motif via a red stripe at the bottom of their breezers:

jUW05Vu.png

(left is real, right results in 3 "black on red" bands for both the home and road set)

Honestly, I don't think that's the problem for the Sens' road jersey, since it was completely black before and it worked well then. My main problem is the fact that the arm striping is really the only time black is used on the jersey, which is what really throws me off.

Like, here's a mockup I made of Brady with black cuffs and a black waist stripe, making it more directly a throwback look;

spacer.png

It just looks more filled-out and completed to me, I dunno.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

They were awarded the franchise in 1991, but didn't start playing until 1992, which has caused some confusion.

Every expansion ownership group was awarded a team a year or two before the first season...not many (if any) use the award date as the beginning date for anniversaries