2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

That old template was so generic, the Penguins and Senators had pretty much the exact same jerseys as well as Tampa Bay at the time. Jerseys that are slapped together in minutes are always awful.

I think it was something even more nefarious than laziness  😂

Just Reebok trying to put their stamp on the league

• Like 1

Honestly the only thing really bringing down the Caps look is the side panels. And maybe the just emptiness on the back of the sleeves. Otherwise it’s a good look for a team, and something that only needs tweaks, not a major overhaul.

IMO, the Caps have never had a perfect, perfect look. The Reverse Retro was pretty darn close, but otherwise each era has had its own flaws in the sweaters and branding. The current look, at least for me, seems to be the most “Capitals” of the bunch.

• Like 2

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Honestly the only thing really bringing down the Caps look is the side panels. And maybe the just emptiness on the back of the sleeves. Otherwise it’s a good look for a team, and something that only needs tweaks, not a major overhaul.

IMO, the Caps have never had a perfect, perfect look. The Reverse Retro was pretty darn close, but otherwise each era has had its own flaws in the sweaters and branding. The current look, at least for me, seems to be the most “Capitals” of the bunch.

Agreed. It's only a few tweaks away from being a solid design. They can keep the front and shoulder logos, font, colours, gear, navy alternate jerseys and even the current home and away socks lol. They just need to de-Edge-ify the jerseys

And I also agree that they never had great jerseys. There's always a design element or two holding them back

• Love 1

4 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

It’s crazy to me that the Capitals haven’t changed their uniforms since the 07 edge release. 

Same for the Blue Jackets. They may have changed the font and the shoulder patches but the core fundamentals of the jerseys have stayed the same. Of the four teams that introduced new designs for the Edge redesign and are still - more or less - using those designs (Boston and Vancouver are the other two) Washington and Columbus are the weakest. It's not surprising how few of the Edge designs have lasted. Only eight teams are still using those designs, and the other four are Original Six teams who moved their designs over from the 6100 era and are still using the same base design.

Meanwhile, of the other 22 teams that were around for the Edge change, six basically copied their 6100 jerseys over to the Edge template but are no longer using those designs while sixteen teams introduced new designs that are no longer in use.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Of the four teams that introduced new designs for the Edge redesign and are still - more or less - using those designs (Boston and Vancouver are the other two) Washington and Columbus are the weakest. 

Meanwhile, of the other 22 teams that were around for the Edge change, six basically copied their 6100 jerseys over to the Edge template but are no longer using those designs while sixteen teams introduced new designs that are no longer in use.

While Boston and Vancouver did technically have new designs for the EDGE implementation, in practicality not really. They both brought back old jersey patterns. It's not like they brought in uniforms with weird panels and piping specifically made for the EDGE system like Ottawa, Calgary, Pittsburgh, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

It’s crazy to me that the Capitals haven’t changed their uniforms since the 07 edge release. 

I wouldn't have expected a wholesale changeover, but keep the logo and update the uniforms.  Maybe add a logo crest for a jersey, and relegate the script to wordmark only.

20 hours ago, Echo said:

The Sabres have finally officially announced the black and red 3rd jersey that has been rumored for some time.  No design released yet, but a schedule has been posted.

7YXWnhm.pngkrWR761.png

I'm a little disappointed that they're not going to wear this for Ryan Miller night, since this is a logo he wore for the first half of his Sabres career.

Considering they rebranded in the same year, it's gonna be weird to see the modern era Ducks against the black and red Sabres. Good to see them bring it back though.

--

And speaking of the Ducks; on their promotional schedule is a "Throwback Night" for their December 30th game against Nashville. I'm guessing this is one of their Reverse Retro dates.

• Like 1

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

9 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

For me, the closest they've got to perfecting their look were these two uniforms -

0923-wsh15wc-full.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

cut.0.png&f=1&nofb=1

Both have the W with the representation of the Capital Monument and both have really good colour balance.

• Like 8
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

For me, the closest they've got to perfecting their look were these two uniforms -

cut.0.png&f=1&nofb=1

Both have the W with the representation of the Capital Monument and both have really good colour balance.

Capital Monument? There's the Capitol and the Washington Monument, but no Capital Monument. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 9/1/2022 at 6:55 AM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

cut.0.png&f=1&nofb=1

110% agree. I much prefer the red look. Besides the Washington Monument W with the 3 stars, the ALL-CAPS wordmark holds true to the team name instead of an all-lowercase wordmark, which was a carry over from the NBA Bullets.

bu🖐️🏀🖐️ets  ➡️  capi-\_-als

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chromatic said:

While Boston and Vancouver did technically have new designs for the EDGE implementation, in practicality not really. They both brought back old jersey patterns. It's not like they brought in uniforms with weird panels and piping specifically made for the EDGE system like Ottawa, Calgary, Pittsburgh, etc.

What I meant by new design is that they didn't just move their existing design over to the Edge template.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

cut.0.png&f=1&nofb=1

I think the navy is a near perfect alternate and should be the basis for their home and away jersey but the red jersey kinda sucks (mostly because of the shoulder stripes) and is giving me AHL/minor league All Star game vibes

Unpopular opinion?

14 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

IMO, the Caps have never had a perfect, perfect look.

The wordmark-less Screagle jerseys would like a word.

1998-washington-capitals-stanley-cup-finals-hangovers.jpg?resize=640%2C427&ssl=1

The white jerseys were a perfect, perfect look. If the blue jerseys had a black cuff and no wordmark, the overall look would've been perfect.

• Like 8

Washington isn‘t that far off from a great primary set. It would look great if they had their current Colors, logos, font on their original jerseys. Also why hasn’t the Weagle been on the front of a jersey yet. That logo is beautiful. Between the jersey they used vs Toronto at Annapolis, and their current third. They missed out on a great opportunity for this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

cut.0.png&f=1&nofb=1

That navy set, if they insist on keeping that colorway, seems a great basis for a permanent set. Pull the logo from the red sweaters and place them on the navy sweaters (and make the W red, of course), reverse it out for a white set and I think they'd be set for good. 

That being said...

15 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

The wordmark-less Screagle jerseys would like a word.

1998-washington-capitals-stanley-cup-finals-hangovers.jpg?resize=640%2C427&ssl=1

The white jerseys were a perfect, perfect look. If the blue jerseys had a black cuff and no wordmark, the overall look would've been perfect.

I've screamed it before, and I'm gonna scream it again: THESE RANK AS MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE UNIFORMS EVER IN THE HISTORY OF MAJOR PRO SPORTS, PERIOD. 

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||