2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

The RR program is less about direct lineation and more about connection to the city/market a team is playing in.

I don't think that's really true for 90% of the teams. Nearly all the RR 1.0 jerseys were based on lineage. The Avs RR 1.0 jersey was based on lineage. The Devils RR 2.0 jersey is based on lineage.  This isnt' the NBA City or MLB City Connect Program. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The foot logo doesn't make sense anymore without the context of the mascot since otherwise it doesn't really tie into any part of their current identity, the blue-burgundy swap is effectively just an alternate and last I recall, the wordmark jerseys weren't exceptionally popular among the fanbase.

All I am saying is that there is room for an AVALANCHE inspired RR , they don't need to go to a former franchise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

The Avs really don't have all too many jerseys to work with from their past. If they did a RR based on their original jerseys, people would be b*tching and moaning about how they're not using that template as their current primary jerseys. If they did a RR based on the wordmark jerseys, people would be complaining about them playing "Rangers dress-up" (Remember that O6 dress-up debate?) just like they were when the jerseys were unveiled. If they did a RR based on their Reebok Edge jerseys, this forum would lose it's mind for obvious reasons. A Rockies throwback is really the only thing they could feasibly do that wouldn't piss off 75% of their fanbase and 90% of jersey nerds.

And like @Ridleylash said, the foot just doesn't make sense anymore. Howler isn't the mascot, plain and simple. Unless you're trying to appeal to the Dan Schneiders of the world, there's no point in dredging that logo back up.

I can tell you from Avalanche forums you are dead wrong.  People are not happy its a Rockies RR theme. 

The only other way I could see the Avs having gone is doing a fauxback to like, the Denver Spurs or Colorado Gold Kings. The other options aren't very interesting, especially as a special alternate that could potentially be a one-season thing; what's going to sell better, a completely unique look or something that looks marginally different from the way the team normally looks?

There's a reason the best-selling RR's last time were also the most unique from the primary look in some form or fashion; LA using purple and gold, Washington embracing a proper primary logo and breathing new life into an design that looks entirely different from their primary, Arizona and Anaheim going balls-to-the-wall mental. Meanwhile, looks that were too similar to the main jersey, like the Isles, struggled to sell.

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The only other way I could see the Avs having gone is doing a fauxback to like, the Denver Spurs or Colorado Gold Kings.

Gold Kings you say?

Stop i can only get so erect gif » GIF Images Download

I would love to see more teams play around with old minor league imagery. Imagine if the Avs decided to make jerseys based on the Rocky Mountain Rage, Denver Cutthroats, or Denver Grizzlies. THAT would be something.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

What would make no sense is a team from New Jersey wearing a jersey inspired by the Colorado state flag and named the Rockies, after the Rocky mountains

Exactly, that's why they changed their name to the Devils.  And the Avs are not the Nordiques.   How does that relate to playing dress up to a former team connected to another franchise?

3 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Exactly, that's why they changed their name to the Devils.  And the Avs are not the Nordiques.   How does that relate to playing dress up to a former team connected to another franchise?

Because it's connected to the city/state that they currently play in. Look at how many MLB teams where Negro League throwbacks when NONE of the teams ever existed in the Negro Leagues. But many of the cities did have Negro League teams and that's what they're honoring.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

I was typing a pre-emptive "Before @CreamSoda says anything, I'm excited for the Avs to lean into the Rockies' identity" response right as I got the "New post from @CreamSoda" notification.

The Avs can have the Rockies' identity because it's so heavily intertwined with the market they play in. Just like how the Jets 2.0 can use the Jets 1.0's logos and jerseys despite not being from the same technical franchise. The Devils are using the Scouts' identity because aside from the logo, nothing about the jerseys or color palette screams "Kansas City." It's just an old-school hockey template. The RR program is less about direct lineation and more about connection to the city/market a team is playing in.

I'm shocked it's taken this long for one of Colorado's sports teams to embrace the state flag. I'm a native Coloradan, and while it can be tiring seeing the 'C' icon and red/blue/yellow color scheme everywhere, it is admittedly really well-designed. The NHL Rockies' logo is up there with the Whalers in terms of the league's best-ever logos, imo. It'd be a shame for the Avs not to use it.

The NHL Rockies were one of several sports teams to have a beautiful brand but a horrible product on the playing surface. They had a colourful look but a simple look. Unlike the Blues of the late 80's and mid 90's, the Rockies did a great job in utilizing royal blue, yellow-gold, red and white together. The Avs' "Colorado" C fits in nicely with the A-Mountain by having a black circle, aka. a puck, in place of the yellow-gold which represents the sun raising/setting on the State of Colorado.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, McCall said:

Because it's connected to the city/state that they currently play in. Look at how many MLB teams where Negro League throwbacks when NONE of the teams ever existed in the Negro Leagues. But many of the cities did have Negro League teams and that's what they're honoring.

I get that, but why do the Colorado Avalanche, with an already mountain themed name and 3 Stanley Cups,  have to pay homage to a prior franchise that relocated?  A franchise that lasted 7 years with no success?  It's not the same. 

Just use the Avalanche history for their RR.  Not some random prior team that used to play in an arena that is torn down now. 

• Yawn 2

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:

Just use the Avalanche history for their RR.  Not some random prior team that used to play in an arena that is torn down now. 

$20 says that if the Avs did another Nordiques RR, you'd still be whining about how it isn't *really* an Avalanche throwback.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

6 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I get that, but why do the Colorado Avalanche, with an already mountain themed name and 3 Stanley Cups,  have to pay homage to a prior franchise that relocated?  A franchise that lasted 7 years with no success?  It's not the same.

Because they can and want to do so to pay tribute to the franchise that paved the way for them to even come into the league? Clearly, they're not that interested in what you're talking about if they're not...y'know...doing it.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

Because they can and want to do so to pay tribute to the franchise that paved the way for them to even come into the league? Clearly, they're not that interested in what you're talking about if they're not...y'know...doing it.

The Avs didn't "come into the league". They were already in the league, in another city. The team that really showed hockey would be a success in Denver was the Grizzlies.  The Rockies' attendance was like 50% for a team that was lucky to win 20 games in an 80 game season...nothing to write home about. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Thats a really naive take.

They are doing it because flag merch is popular and likely will sell well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DTConcepts said:

@CreamSoda when Colorado sports teams embrace being located in Colorado

Yakuza Kiryu GIF - Yakuza Kiryu Date - Discover & Share GIFs

When it not their color scheme or uniform history its lame and a sell out.    Why don't the broncos just become red/blue/gold?  We do live in Colorado after all!  May as well just use the same design for everything!

• Yawn 2

10 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

@CreamSoda when Colorado sports teams embrace being located in Colorado

One issue is if I want to buy an Avs RR t-shirt (say, with just the C-circle crest logo, as Fanatics sold shirts like these two years ago), the Avs T-shirt would look like it came from a Colorado Store.  It wouldn't really have an NHL feel. 

21 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

194602341125_1.jpg?auto=compress,format&w=544&h=435&q=50

mens-47-green-colorado-rockies-2021-city-connect-captain-snapback-hat_pi4695000_altimages_ff_4695563-0069b660ea84313c9c74alt1_full.jpg?_hv=2&w=900

ff_2827142alt1_full.jpg

21-swingman-player-jersey-statement-edition_pi4090000_altimages_ff_4090892-e843a75b57408090762balt1_full.jpg?_hv=2&w=900

May as well jump on the bandwagon, eh?

I don't  have a dog in this fight but I'm a fan of a city/area owning a color scheme across multiple sports. It makes me feel a sense of community

• Like 5