2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

Has this one been posted yet?

Kind of a weird choice, I wonder if Oilers fans liked this jersey. Do they have fond memories of this era? It's certainly interesting that without the RR program, we would have almost certainly never seen this design again on an NHL rink

Feels surreal that a jersey from my youth is now old enough to be retro. I'm really getting old lol

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Kind of a weird choice, I wonder if Oilers fans liked this jersey. Do they have fond memories of this era? It's certainly interesting that without the RR program, we would have almost certainly never seen this design again on an NHL rink

Feels surreal that a jersey from my youth is now old enough to be retro. I'm really getting old lol

spacer.png

Yep, it was the first one posted and it's included in the mothership graphic. 

• LOL 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

27 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

The only thing about Oilers' Todd MacFarlane jersey I didn't like was the navy and silver scheme. It was a copycat version of the Kings' Gretzky-era black and silver. However, I'm quite sure there are Oiler fans who still like/love the logo as well as different jersey versions with navy as the primary dark colour. That's why a navy Retro Reverse with the old 3rd jersey logo redone in orange with silver accents would be a hot seller. The Oilers are, thankfully, returning to their classic 80's royal blue primary and using a recoloured Todd MacFarlane logo on navy would blend a couple of Oiler eras together. If it does become very popular, the Oilers could eventually make it a future 3rd.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

Considering they're just swapping out the silver for orange on the jersey, it's odd that they're keeping the silver in the logos. I think it might've looked better if they kept the oil drop navy and changed the silver parts to orange and/or white.

3 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Considering they're just swapping out the silver for orange on the jersey, it's odd that they're keeping the silver in the logos. I think it might've looked better if they kept the oil drop navy and changed the silver parts to orange and/or white.

Eh, I can see why they didn't; for one, the white might draw unfortunate ejaculate comparisons, and as for the orange...

spacer.png

...it definitely doesn't look good, either. I think the route they've gone with is the best option if they're recoloring it; the orange drop brings in that connection to the primary.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The only thing about Oilers' Todd MacFarlane jersey I didn't like was the navy and silver scheme. It was a copycat version of the Kings' Gretzky-era black and silver.

Funny, I never made that connection before but you're totally right. It would have looked just as good in navy and copper imo. But then it would have been too close to their regular jersey

14 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Yeah I don't like the execution either. The idea was there but if that's the final result, I find it a bit underwhelming

8 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Eh, I can see why they didn't; for one, the white might draw unfortunate ejaculate comparisons, and as for the orange...

spacer.png

...it definitely doesn't look good, either. I think the route they've gone with is the best option if they're recoloring it; the orange drop brings in that connection to the primary.

We never seem to agree on anything 😂

I think it looks great in orange!

• Like 1

I'm surprised nobody's talking about the Avs (probably) dipping into the Rockies' identity. Not to be too self-indulgent, but I think I hit the nail on the head with my concept from a few months ago.

IDaR6yk.png

The fisherman, storm, and robo-pen are all exciting, but a Rockies throwback would look so good.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Meh 1

2 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

I'm surprised nobody's talking about the Avs (probably) dipping into the Rockies' identity. Not to be too self-indulgent, but I think I hit the nail on the head with my concept from a few months ago.

IDaR6yk.png

The fisherman, storm, and robo-pen are all exciting, but a Rockies throwback would look so good.

I wonder what it would look like if you swapped red for burgundy and royal blue for steel blue. With yellow possibly being replaced by silver as well?

I've always love those Rockies jersey. R/W/B + yellow trim is such an underrated combo, but at the same time the Avs have a really unique colour scheme and it would be a shame not to use it

5 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

IDaR6yk.png

yeah for the NJ Devils......  

The Avalanche is not the Colorado Rockies.  Why would they be pulling from them?   Especially when NJ is pulling from the team before the Colorado Rockies on their RR designs.....  makes no sense. 

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 3

5 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

The Avalanche is not the Colorado Rockies.  Why would they be pulling from them?   Especially when NJ is pulling from the team before the Colorado Rockies on their RR designs.....  makes no sense. 

The Winnipeg Jets-formerly-known as the Atlanta Thrashers are using a design from the Arizona Coyotes-formerly-known as the Winnipeg Jets, the Habs are doing a goddamn Expos jersey, the Wild are using Stars jerseys with their logo on the front...and where you draw the line is the Avs using Colorado hockey jerseys as a Reverse Retro?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

What would make no sense is a team from New Jersey wearing a jersey inspired by the Colorado state flag and named the Rockies, after the Rocky mountains

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

The Winnipeg Jets-formerly-known as the Atlanta Thrashers are using a design from the Arizona Coyotes-formerly-known as the Winnipeg Jets, the Habs are doing a goddamn Expos jersey, the Wild are using Stars jerseys with their logo on the front, Carolina has used Whalers jerseys in the past round...

I get that, but for the Avs, they have plenty of other designs they could have done.  There is no reason to use a franchise that they are not tied to.    

Its not like they don't have 26 years of uniform history to pull from in their time being the Avs.  Why not swap the blue and burgundy?  Why not reverse the original burgundy wordmark?   Use the foot logo for something.     Just don't pull from a crappy team that barely made an impact in Denver. 

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

Just now, CreamSoda said:

I was typing a pre-emptive "Before @CreamSoda says anything, I'm excited for the Avs to lean into the Rockies' identity" response right as I got the "New post from @CreamSoda" notification.

The Avs can have the Rockies' identity because it's so heavily intertwined with the market they play in. Just like how the Jets 2.0 can use the Jets 1.0's logos and jerseys despite not being from the same technical franchise. The Devils are using the Scouts' identity because aside from the logo, nothing about the jerseys or color palette screams "Kansas City." It's just an old-school hockey template. The RR program is less about direct lineation and more about connection to the city/market a team is playing in.

I'm shocked it's taken this long for one of Colorado's sports teams to embrace the state flag. I'm a native Coloradan, and while it can be tiring seeing the 'C' icon and red/blue/yellow color scheme everywhere, it is admittedly really well-designed. The NHL Rockies' logo is up there with the Whalers in terms of the league's best-ever logos, imo. It'd be a shame for the Avs not to use it.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

3 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Its not like they don't have 26 years of uniform history to pull from in their time being the Avs.  Why not swap the blue and burgundy?  Why not reverse the original burgundy wordmark?   Use the foot logo for something.     Just don't pull from a crappy team that barely made an impact in Denver. 

The foot logo doesn't make sense anymore without the context of the mascot since otherwise it doesn't really tie into any part of their current identity, the blue-burgundy swap is effectively just an alternate and last I recall, the wordmark jerseys weren't exceptionally popular among the fanbase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

I was typing a pre-emptive "Before @CreamSoda says anything, I'm excited for the Avs to lean into the Rockies' identity" response right as I got the "New post from @CreamSoda" notification.

The Avs can have the Rockies' identity because it's so heavily intertwined with the market they play in. Just like how the Jets 2.0 can use the Jets 1.0's logos and jerseys despite not being from the same technical franchise. The Devils are using the Scouts' identity because aside from the logo, nothing about the jerseys or color palette screams "Kansas City." It's just an old-school hockey template. The RR program is less about direct lineation and more about connection to the city/market a team is playing in.

I'm shocked it's taken this long for one of Colorado's sports teams to embrace the state flag. I'm a native Coloradan, and while it can be tiring seeing the 'C' icon and red/blue/yellow color scheme everywhere, it is admittedly really well-designed. The NHL Rockies' logo is up there with the Whalers in terms of the league's best-ever logos, imo. It'd be a shame for the Avs not to use it.

lol what?

The Rockies baseball team has used a state flag for their BP hats before.  CSU rams have used the state flag for their uniforms before.  The Denver Nuggets have used the flag colors before....  its not a first for a sports team to use the flag here....

The Rockies and Avalanche are nowhere similar to the Jets aned Thrahers/Jets.    The Rockies were in denver from 1976 to 1982 with little fanfare or success.   

Why would the Avs want to pay homage to that?  They have their own history to draw from, they don't need to go the Vegas route of a former pro team in the area...

3 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

The Avs really don't have all too many jerseys to work with from their past. If they did a RR based on their original jerseys, people would be b*tching and moaning about how they're not using that template as their current primary jerseys. If they did a RR based on the wordmark jerseys, people would be complaining about them playing "Rangers dress-up" (Remember that O6 dress-up debate?) just like they were when the jerseys were unveiled. If they did a RR based on their Reebok Edge jerseys, this forum would lose it's mind for obvious reasons. A Rockies throwback is really the only thing they could feasibly do that wouldn't piss off 75% of their fanbase and 90% of jersey nerds.

And like @Ridleylash said, the foot just doesn't make sense anymore. Howler isn't the mascot, plain and simple. Unless you're trying to appeal to the Dan Schneiders of the world, there's no point in dredging that logo back up.

• Like 5