2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

I think a simplified, symmetrical* version of the current crown logo would be better than the margarine logo, but everything else, I agree with.

*I mean actually go into photoshop, cut it in half, and reverse the other half to make sure.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've always liked this version of the crown that was on their original primary logo, but for some reason was different from the crown they used on the jerseys. Colour this black & silver, throw it on the front of the jerseys, and call it a day.

spacer.png

• Like 9

A while ago, I made a post about the possibility that the Canucks might be dropping the stripes from their pants because their prospects wore pants that did not have them.  Turned out that the Abbottsford Canucks didn't have stripes on their pants, so maybe that was the reason.  Fast forward to today and a couple of new players who definitely won't be starting the season in the minors, were in the new Canucks' gear and had pants that didn't have the stripes.  They were different from the ones worn with the alternates because the manufacturer's mark was on the side instead of the front.   I would say it's a bit of a mistake to lose the stripes if that's what is actually going to happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M4One said:

A while ago, I made a post about the possibility that the Canucks might be dropping the stripes from their pants because their prospects wore pants that did not have them.  Turned out that the Abbottsford Canucks didn't have stripes on their pants, so maybe that was the reason.  Fast forward to today and a couple of new players who definitely won't be starting the season in the minors, were in the new Canucks' gear and had pants that didn't have the stripes.  They were different from the ones worn with the alternates because the manufacturer's mark was on the side instead of the front.   I would say it's a bit of a mistake to lose the stripes if that's what is actually going to happen.

Maybe the stripeless pants could simply be worn with the new RR? But agreed, if they lose the stripes with the regular set, that would be a huge downgrade

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Maybe the stripeless pants could simply be worn with the new RR? But agreed, if they lose the stripes with the regular set, that would be a huge downgrade

The leaked RR jersey looked to be navy.  The new pants are in the regular colours.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I've always liked this version of the crown that was on their original primary logo, but for some reason was different from the crown they used on the jerseys. Colour this black & silver, throw it on the front of the jerseys, and call it a day.

spacer.png

I'd love to see the Kings finally put this crown on a jersey. The 67' crown is my favourite but this is a good one too.

2 minutes ago, Francis10 said:

Based on this screen cap from Fanatics, Carolina may be switching to the black alternates at home. I wouldn't be surprised to see the black pants that were dabbled with last season make a return appearance as well.

If they made a white version of that (and put the oval logo on both shoulders for both jerseys), they'd have a really good modern set. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

59 minutes ago, Francis10 said:

Based on this screen cap from Fanatics, Carolina may be switching to the black alternates at home. I wouldn't be surprised to see the black pants that were dabbled with last season make a return appearance as well.

Not a fan of this decision. This is one of the weaker alternate jerseys in the NHL imo. Reeks of mid-2000s Reebok Edge.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

37 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

Not a fan of this decision. This is one of the weaker alternate jerseys in the NHL imo. Reeks of mid-2000s Reebok Edge.

What part reeks of mid-2000s Reebok Edge?

The sleeve stripes are fairly traditional. The hemstripe is traditional.  There isn't any weird apron piping or vertical stripes, etc

The logo is far better than that toilet bowl puck.  

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 2

28 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The sleeve stripes are fairly traditional. The hemstripe is traditional.  There isn't any weird apron piping or vertical stripes, etc

Phantom yoke, gimmicky “stealth” shoulder patches, and an unnecessary lack of white.

Those alternates have always felt like Reebok Cross Check fashion jerseys.

EtGIff5kK33LDBKutJ8sufnYkxfaO_CKCVTYfZ3M

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

Phantom yoke, gimmicky “stealth” shoulder patches, and an unnecessary lack of white.

Those alternates have always felt like Reebok Cross Check fashion jerseys.

EtGIff5kK33LDBKutJ8sufnYkxfaO_CKCVTYfZ3M

The stealthy patterns weren't really Reebok Edge...most of the stealthy stuff (CAR, SJ, TB) has been from Adidas. 

And there's no lack of white on the Hurricanes' alternate jersey. A lot of white on the logo, and the numbers are white. Compare the real jersey to the fake jersey...there's far more white on the real jersey. 

Yeah, the stealth look and the heathered design on the red stripes seems more like an Adidas trend than something from the Reebok Edge era. When the Adidas template debuted at the World Cup, Team North America used it heavily.

spacer.png

I haven't been a fan of the Canes wearing black for the playoffs, and I'm definitely not a fan of them making it the full time home look, especially since it doesn't appear like they are interested in making a matching away jersey. At this point they might as well make the flags their primary logo since the coloured storm logo isn't featured anywhere on the black or white jerseys.

What frustrates me personally is that Ottawa finally moved away from being a red-first team by going back to the inaugural jerseys, only to possibly see Carolina switch to an almost identical design (black jersey, 2 red stripes on sleeve, 1 on the hem, no white except for the numbers & logo outline).

• Like 4

Apparently the red jersey will not be worn at all in the 2022-23 season, which is a shame since I think it is their best jersey of the set. Apparently it is being replaced by "something special" according to the article. Hopefully we get a throwback to the 2006 jerseys. 

https://news.sportslogos.net/2022/08/23/carolina-hurricanes-black-uniform-promoted-to-full-time-home-set-for-2022-23/hockey-2/

• Like 3

T1oYViW.png

Honestly, I think the Canes going black at home is fine; there's a lot more teams that go red at home (Calgary, Chicago, Detroit, Florida, New Jersey, Montréal, Washington) than black at home (which is really just LA and Ottawa). Making themselves more distinct from the crowd is a good branding decision.

• Like 1
  • Huh? 2
  • Dislike 4

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Honestly, I think the Canes going black at home is fine; there's a lot more teams that go red at home (Calgary, Chicago, Detroit, Florida, New Jersey, Montréal, Washington) than black at home (which is really just LA and Ottawa). Making themselves more distinct from the crowd is a good branding decision.

No other team was red from top to bottom while having black as a secondary colour. There's already another all black team with red trim in Ottawa. This move does NOT make them stand out from the crowd, quite the opposite

And only 2 teams wear black at home? You sure? lol

• Like 2

The Adidas red jerseys are the best the Hurricanes have ever looked imo. Switching to black jerseys full-time was a mistake, switching to black pants/gloves full-time would’ve been the right move.

zxxnlzhv48s81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

FPnge90X0AM8jn9?format=jpg&name=4096x409

If they just would’ve kept the home helmets red, those uniforms would’ve been perfect.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 2