2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:
Pike says this isn't their alternate, though. My guess is that it's a idea they had that leaked out after being rejected, that's happened with scrapped Flames jerseys before.

Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if their alternate is the 2004 red jersey. That would be a perfect way to keep the black C around like the org wants while also keeping Blasty in the mix for merchandise purposes.

Based on the wording of his tweet. I'd say they're planning on some sort of Blasty alternate, just not this exact jersey. As much as I love the Flames throwback look and would rather them just stay a red, white, and yellow team, I get why they want to keep some black around as an alternate look. Basically lets them have their cake & eat it too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

The 13:27 is definitely a reference to Teemu Selanne & Teppo Numminen, so I'd say it's more likely that they're announcing number retirements than a new throwback.

They nearly have the most banners in the entire NHL, yet the original incarnation of the Jets only won a 7-game series just one time in their existence. 

• LOL 1

7 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

They nearly have the most banners in the entire NHL, yet the original incarnation of the Jets only won a 7-game series just one time in their existence. 

I can't stand this new trend of retiring the numbers of very-good-to-decent players and it really goes to show that nepotism and the Old Boys Club™ mentality still runs rampant in the NHL, even if this isn't the most nefarious symptom,  and just to make sure my comment is still on topic lol, I hate that in a few years more and more players will be forced to wear ugly offensive linemen numbers as all the traditional hockey numbers below 20 will be retired or highly sought after by veterans

No offense to Numminen, but this is a new low. This honour should be reserved for legends and HoFers imo

• Yawn 1
  • Dislike 4

I don't see the harm in retiring Numminen's number in Winnipeg, honestly. Plenty of franchises have retired numbers for players that won't get HOF calling but are still important to the fanbase and franchise.

Besides, the only other franchise that'd have a claim to that kind of honor is Arizona, anyways; Teppo didn't play in either Dallas or Buffalo long enough to justify them retiring his number.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I can't stand this new trend of retiring the numbers of very-good-to-decent players and it really goes to show that nepotism and the Old Boys Club™ mentality still runs rampant in the NHL, even if this isn't the most nefarious symptom,  and just to make sure my comment is still on topic lol, I hate that in a few years more and more players will be forced to wear ugly offensive linemen numbers as all the traditional hockey numbers below 20 will be retired or highly sought after by veterans

No offense to Numminen, but this is a new low. This honour should be reserved for legends and HoFers imo

I'm not sure what you think nepotism is, but an organization choosing to raise a player's number to the rafters based on contributions they made to the franchise/local hockey community isn't that. Also, questionable players getting their numbers retired isn't some new phenomenon. Guys like Yvon Labre & Al Hamilton got their numbers retired in the '80s (see if you can guess which team it was by without looking it up).

You've also brought up the classic overreaction anytime the topic of number retirements gets discussed. We aren't going to run out of numbers. The Habs lead the league with 15 numbers no longer in circulation, and that's after over 100 years of history, which included multiple dynasties. Even if they were to keep retiring numbers at the same pace (which won't happen), it would be another 400 years before any logistical issues actually came up.

As for the Jets, they haven't actually retired any of the numbers that are in the rafters. Nik Ehlers will be allowed to keep wearing 27 if he wants to.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm not sure what you think nepotism is

"The practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs."

Not strictly related to retired numbers but I still stand by what I said about the NHL being an old boys club

Just because retiring numbers of undeserving players isn't new doesn't mean I should like it

The Habs have too many retired numbers, it doesn't mean they won't have any numbers available, it means that won't have any GOOD numbers available. I'm pretty sure we lead the league in players wearing ugly football numbers in the 60s and 70s

No need to try and prove me wrong, it's just my opinion, you don't need to have a counterpoint to everything I say lol. I'm aware of everything you said, I just don't like it

9 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

MOD EDIT: Let's not go there.

MOD EDIT: Let's stick to jerseys in the jersey thread.

10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I don't see the harm in retiring Numminen's number in Winnipeg, honestly

You're right, no real harm. Except having your number retired loses a bit of prestige when Dustin Brown's number stands alongside Gretzky's, Robitaille's and Dionne's in the rafters. Even next to just Selanne, Numminen isn't even close to being in the same ballpark. Just my opinion. I'm arguing because I'm bored but don't go thinking I'm taking all of this super seriously or that I'm offended or anything, it's just that in the dog days of summer, there isn't much news about hockey uniforms lol. I have nothing Numminen or M. Koivu or Rinne, I'm sure they did great things for their community

Edited by officeglenn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The 13:27 is definitely a reference to Teemu Selanne & Teppo Numminen, so I'd say it's more likely that they're announcing number retirements than a new throwback.

No jersey retirement.  They are being inducted into the team's hall of fame.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

"The practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs."

Not strictly related to retired numbers but I still stand by what I said about the NHL being an old boys club

Just because retiring numbers of undeserving players isn't new doesn't mean I should like it

The Habs have too many retired numbers, it doesn't mean they won't have any numbers available, it means that won't have any GOOD numbers available. I'm pretty sure we lead the league in players wearing ugly football numbers in the 60s and 70s

Great players can elevate seemingly "bad" numbers. 87, 71, 97, 91, 37, 68 are all associated with current/future Hall of Famers. And the standard for retiring numbers is going to vary from team to team. A guy like Saku Koivu probably won't get his number retired in Montreal, but if he had the same accomplishments with a team like Nashville he probably would. Price is most likely the only Hab from this century who'll go into the rafters in the next decade.

17 minutes ago, M4One said:

No jersey retirement.  They are being inducted into the team's hall of fame.

Well they will still have their numbers in the rafters, they'll just be kept in circulation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

87, 71, 97, 91, 37, 68

I know this is HIGHLY subjective, but 68 is the only truly bad number in there lol

By bad I mean 62, 63, 75, 78. Anything in the 90s can't be bad by default since the digit 9 looks so good. But I'm not gonna try and convince you, I've always been weird with numbers so maybe that's just me!

I don't know about Price. He's 1st in wins... but also 1st in losses. 3rd in shutouts, but first in modern era. He's won a few individual trophies but no Cup. I have no idea if his numbers are good enough for the HoF. But like you said, the Habs have different standards, I feel like if they retire the number of a player who hasn't won a Cup then it means they've set the bar lower and the floodgates open. Where does it end? Markov? Plekanec? Koivu? Noooooope

9 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

Edited by officeglenn

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)