2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

The games in Florida have had the better jersey matchup in terms of aesthetics, independent of the lack of of jersey ads (though that is a big plus, but I won't dip into the can of worms that's become). I'm not saying Florida's road unis aren't as good as their home set, nor am I saying Vegas's gold unis are necessarily bad (except the damn white gloves), I just think the white jersey is the better look for Vegas.

If the NHL allowed color-on-color, going red vs. gold every game wouldn've looked cool, IMO.

• Like 1

oBIgzrL.png

I know they're the "Golden" Knights, but their best look is the dark gray jerseys and socks. I thought that was really sharp right out of the gate. Gave it a medieval knight vibe and had enough gold to meet the "golden" quota.

cut.jpg

My problem with all the all-gold sweaters is there's no black next to the dark gray to give context for that color so the dark gray ends up just looking like a black that got dulled in the sun. 

Golden Knights 'find a way' to win Game 2, extend series lead | NHL.com

I just think these are a little garish. 

• Like 19
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

I know they're the "Golden" Knights, but their best look is the dark gray jerseys and socks. I thought that was really sharp right out of the gate. Gave it a medieval knight vibe and had enough gold to meet the "golden" quota.

cut.jpg

My problem with all the all-gold sweaters is there's no black next to the dark gray to give context for that color so the dark gray ends up just looking like a black that got dulled in the sun. 

Agreed 100%. The gold should be a permanent alt.

• Like 7

sig.png

4 hours ago, Sport said:

cut.jpg

The problem with the gold jersey is that there's way too much white on it. All the white striping should be replaced with black. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

The gold uniforms are great and what they should have been wearing from the beginning.

The charcoal uniforms are boring and remind me of the black Flyers uniforms that took over the orange ones in the 2000s

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 6

Different strokes for different folks, then. (Because it's easy to see where this line of discourse could go.) 

I know I've already discussed all my VGK gold sweater critique a page or two back in this thread somewhere, but the gold sweaters would be much more tolerable if it didn't contain so much white. Somewhere within the several pages preceding this one I posted someone's mockup that basically swapped the current gold-sweater sleeves with the ones from the gray sweaters, with gray in place of the gold and a red stripe around the hem. I actually think that would make all that gold more tolerable. (Again, if you haven't seen it in person, its far more shimmery than what pictures show...a bit too much for my taste. But the local fans—and I'm sure a good amount of outsiders—absolutely love it simply because it's so shimmery.)

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Different strokes for different folks, then. (Because it's easy to see where this line of discourse could go.) 

I know I've already discussed all my VGK gold sweater critique a page or two back in this thread somewhere, but the gold sweaters would be much more tolerable if it didn't contain so much white. Somewhere within the several pages preceding this one I posted someone's mockup that basically swapped the current gold-sweater sleeves with the ones from the gray sweaters, with gray in place of the gold and a red stripe around the hem. I actually think that would make all that gold more tolerable. (Again, if you haven't seen it in person, its far more shimmery than what pictures show...a bit too much for my taste. But the local fans—and I'm sure a good amount of outsiders—absolutely love it simply because it's so shimmery.)

Yes on the shimmer. It's just so Vegas, and that's why it works. The dark is the better look aesthetically, but the gold fits their environment so much better.

• Like 1

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

The arm stripes on all of the Knights sweaters just bother me. A block arm, followed by a thick stripe, followed by a red stripe that just kind of floats there with no purpose. I think if those were fixed (and I'm not sure what the solution would be), then the shimmery gold is fine. 

The problem with the Vegas gold alt is that they color-swapped the white jersey instead of the gray one.

GoldenKnights03.png

They should've swapped the gray jersey instead, there wouldn't be so much white and the numbers would look better (white with gray stroke instead of the opposite).

• Like 9

the user formerly known as cdclt

• 1 month later...

So about the article on the main site about the Red Wings survey to STH about an alternate jersey and mascot...

The Red Wings don't need an alternate, but if they must have one it better be a throwback. I prefer one of the Cougars, specifically the one from the 09 WC, but the one that was worn in 92 is fine too. I'll also accept the 2014 WC classic fauxback. Anything else new or god forbid, black, is no from me dawg.

(I couldn't careless about a mascot)

• Like 2

I love the gold jerseys. I thought of them as soon as I saw the shiny gold fabric and my dream came true. AND they won the Cup while wearing them so they aren't going away.

Ha ha at you guys

EDIT: I didn't even I realize I already said I liked the gold jerseys back in June LMAO

They really need to fix the color balance of the gold uniforms if they keep them full time. Pumping my own tires here a bit but I've got an NHL redesign series where I tackled this. They need way more black/grey and less white in that uniform, and if they want to roll with gold helmets, DO METALLIC POWDER COATING, not chrome!

8 hours ago, VikWings said:

So about the article on the main site about the Red Wings survey to STH about an alternate jersey and mascot...

The Red Wings don't need an alternate, but if they must have one it better be a throwback. I prefer one of the Cougars, specifically the one from the 09 WC, but the one that was worn in 92 is fine too. I'll also accept the 2014 WC classic fauxback. Anything else new or god forbid, black, is no from me dawg.

(I couldn't careless about a mascot)

I don’t want Detroit to add black like the Leafs have. Their uniforms are perfect the way they are. My concern is that they will create either a black jersey or something new that’s ugly, or both. If they wanted to occasionally wear a throwback, I have no problem with that but anything else just would not be right.

FWIW, every possible combination was created and reviewed for the Vegas gold jersey, if you can think of it and concept it, we did too. In the end, it came down to the ownership wanting them to be "brighter" not dark like the grey ones, thus the white.  

• Like 4

Yeah, Vegas always had a great colour combination and beautiful jerseys - but I do miss the dark grey at home. That one is still one of my favourite jerseys of the modern era - everything about it just clicked.  The gold is nice too, but would have preferred it stayed an alternate - but that's what they're wearing in their Stanley Cup team photo, so I don't expect that one to lose it's top spot anytime soon.

• Like 1

It bothers me Vegas wears a truer gold and not Vegas gold… while a lot of teams who should use old gold use the tannest shade of gold imaginable (Saints, Washington Huskies come to mind)

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 6/12/2023 at 12:37 PM, MNtwins3 said:

Vegas has a great look, and honestly if they close it out and win the cup, they shouldn't ever change a thing

I agree. Burn the gold chrome helmets and don't change another thing.

On 8/13/2023 at 1:33 AM, TenaciousG said:

It bothers me Vegas wears a truer gold and not Vegas gold… while a lot of teams who should use old gold use the tannest shade of gold imaginable (Saints, Washington Huskies come to mind)

"vegas gold" was a poorly chosen name given to that shade somewhere along the way in the past 30 years.  Even in a shiny material like Dazzle, nothing about it would make me think of Las Vegas. A team in Vegas should be wearing true gold.   I agree the Saints and UW should be in a more classic old gold like they used to wear.

• Like 1