2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Oh well I’m definitely looking forward to the same bored people having the same complaints about corporations and billionaires while avoiding discussions about actual jersey aesthetics over and over again.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm as much of a laissez-faire capitalist as you're going to find on these here boards. I have no issue with billionaires or corporations (or anyone else, for that matter) making as much money as they possibly can. That being said, I do not like ads on uniforms. Why? They're ugly. Simple as that. Point being, my criticism isn't based on "corporate greed" bull:censored:, it's based entirely on aesthetics. I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who sees it that way.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

BB52Big.jpg

51 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Let me preface this by saying that I'm as much of a laissez-faire capitalist as you're going to find on these here boards. I have no issue with billionaires or corporations (or anyone else, for that matter) making as much money as they possibly can. That being said, I do not like ads on uniforms. Why? They're ugly. Simple as that. Point being, my criticism isn't based on "corporate greed" bull:censored:, it's based entirely on aesthetics. I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who sees it that way.

Sounds agreeable to me, sounds like that was the general sentiment in 2021. IMO, I don’t need constant reminders every time a tweet with a new jersey ad is posted that ads are ugly.  I got it. 

• Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Friendly reminder that the left loves big corporations because you can work at them after you graduate from a good school; it's small businesses that are the real enemy

• Like 2
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 2
  • Hate 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Friendly reminder that the left ruling class loves big corporations because you can work at them after you graduate from a good school; it's small businesses that are used to be the real enemy until they were all wiped out for being "non-essential."

Edited for accuracy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

BB52Big.jpg

20 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

There's also plenty of sites where you can mindlessly repeat the same "ads bad" points ad nauseum if you don't like people who don't exactly care about a small jersey patch in the wider economic picture, so that can go both ways. Having different opinions coexisting in a forum is good, that's how you avoid it turning into a massive echo chamber.

Besides, economics absolutely play just as much a role in sports branding as aesthetics do; no team rebrands purely out of the goodness of their heart, they all do it because they've determined it makes them more dough to do so.

Of course we are gonna talk about ads here, it's a site devoted to jersey and uniform details!

And the ads are the equivalent of someone spilling  ketchup or taking a dump on your favorite jersey or other random  possession.

You want to get rid of it, but you know it will be difficult. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 9:31 AM, Chewbacca said:

If you are unhappy with the jersey ads, you could always turn the TV off and not watch any of the Finals at all. Maybe if enough fans turned hockey off, perhaps the NHL would reconsider the ads. Wouldn’t that be nice. I would love to see the ads leave the jerseys and helmets and never come back.

I had to, and i am/was a huge fan... :censored:, i can recite every SC final and who was playing from 2000 till now.  Maybe everyone can do that, i don't know..... point is, i was a fan!

-

But i can't handle this, hard enough to see the puck, now the :censored:ing boards are moving, drawing my eyes to them!

• Sad 1

The main reason it doesn't bother me much is because ultimately, while not aesthetically perfect, it doesn't really hamper my enjoyment of the sport since little jersey patches don't really change the way hockey is played. Nobody misses a block or check, :censored:s up a pass or scores a goal because "the jersey ad was too distracting", y'know?

Would my ideal NHL not have jersey ads? Oh, absolutely, I'd love that classic look back...but I'm also just a fan watching at home; I don't have to answer to a board of ownership groups that, by and large, don't give a flying :censored: about hockey aesthetics and just want the business to see exponential revenue growth by any means that they can to find more ways to make money off of fans.

Plenty of sports are dealing with ad overload right now as owners keep pushing the boundaries to see just how many ads they can stuff in before people stop watching, which is only being exacerbated by the rapidly-onsetting death of the RSN killing a huge revenue source for many leagues.

Frankly, I think it might only get worse before it gets better across sports.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

The ad discussion is tiresome if only because I feel confident in saying that they will never go away or be reduced. Once a new stream of revenue has been opened like that, there is no closing it. However, I'm also sure that if you asked everybody here, "Would you like to tack a random corporate logo on to your team's favorite jersey?", that the answer would be a unanimous "NO". My point being, there is nothing to discuss regarding the aesthetics of corporate advertisements on sports uniforms because nobody on this board actually prefers it to the cleaner alternative. Still, I can understand those saying that they can overlook it to an extent as a pragmatic response.

Not to play mod here, but I also feel like the off-topic discussion that is beginning here on on everybody's favorite economic philosophy should probably be shut down or moved elsewhere. 

• Like 7
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

spacer.png

giphy.gif

This year's final has solidified my opinion that the new SCF patch is a huge upgrade from the last. It's sleeker, more timeless, and would fit well on any team in the league's jersey. The fact that the design got rid of the "STANLEY CUP FINAL" text and still communicates the same message only makes it feel more elegant and prestigious, imo. Great design.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

On 6/6/2023 at 11:11 AM, henburg said:

My point being, there is nothing to discuss regarding the aesthetics of corporate advertisements on sports uniforms because nobody on this board actually prefers it to the cleaner alternative.

I agree, but this point is undercut by having sponsorship changes treated as front page news on the mothership. That's tiresome too.

27 minutes ago, Delicate Genius said:

Florida's home jersey and Vegas' road jersey didn't have ads on them this season.

True, but it initially looked like the SCF patch was going to remain in that awkward, claustrophobic position on the right regardless...  Glad they changed their mind. 

• Like 4

On 6/9/2023 at 2:44 PM, rorinator said:

Nope. Vegas just has no away jersey sponsor and Florida has no home jersey sponsor. Thus allowing for the proper patch placement when they play in Sunrise.

Initially atleast on retail jerseys they were putting the cup patch on the right side (players left) regardless of if an ad was their or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dont care said:

Initially atleast on retail jerseys they were putting the cup patch on the right side (players left) regardless of if an ad was their or not.

I'm wondering if that was just some retail workers putting on the patches in the store for display once they got them and thinking to keep the location consistent. 

IbjBaeE.png