2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

And the color hierarchy doesn't match either. Red is the secondary color on the whites but wheat is the secondary color on the greens. It's a big pet peeves of mine. I wouldn't even mind if they went to being a green/wheat team but at least adjust the whites to reflect that, like the Iowa Wild.

lg20181005-136199.jpg

The red numbers are the defining element that makes the Wild white jersey great.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SCL said:

The red numbers are the defining element that makes the Wild white jersey great.

I agree, I love the red numbers on the Wild’s white sweater. The Iowa Wild actually just changed to that as well. 

The Wild were definitely one of the worst matching teams in the league until Adidas took over. But the striping between the home and road is the same with a bit of a different color way, much like the Hawks, or even like the Stars. While there are some subtle changes I would like to see to the Wild’s green home sweater, I think it’s one of the best in the league, and does really match the road jersey well.

It’s not the same as how the Canes are wearing 3 different striping patterns on 3 different jerseys with 3 different logos, only one of which has their primary logo…

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

9 hours ago, SCL said:

The green sleeves match the white, so some consistent elements between the two. The Wild white jersey is terrific, the green needs to lose the chest stripe and match the hem striping of the white.

Never liked the green jersey from the day it was released in 2017. Probably the most dissapointing aspect of the 2017 adidas reveal. 

Why not just make a matching green jersey? The logo looks great on the green jersey with no chest stripe. Not only is the home green unnecessarily inconsistent with their white jersey, but for some reason the numbers on the arms don't even match the numbers on the back. Why is there a red trim on the back numbers but the arm numbers are plain wheat? It looks like they forgot to add it or something. 

DT Concepts did a great jersey design a few weeks back which blows their current set out of the water.

spacer.png

And here is another great one by Lycan38 with red numbers on the road jersey.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, SCL said:

I agree, I'd much rather the Wild be a green/red team, not a green/wheat team. My issue is the lack of red on the green jersey is highlighted by the excellent green/red balance on the white jerseys. They should be this:

tDRUv86.png

Or something like this concept I made last year:

Sy68ah1.png

Your team's secondary color shouldn't look like an afterthought on your own home jersey.

• Like 1

Eh, I can see why they do it the way they do; green and red have a bad habit of bleeding together if you're not careful about blocking; that's why the Devils always had white separating red and green on their original jerseys.

Forest green and wheat don't have that issue when placed together, so from a contrast perspective it makes more sense. Frankly, I think the better idea is just make the stripes on the road tricolor; red on top, wheat below red, green below wheat. Not only does it incorporate all the colors while maintaining high contrast, but it's a fun little nod to the North Stars' 80's look while still doing it's own thing.

• Like 1

They clearly realized that having green and red as your two main colors causes legibility problems, but it's half of the logo so they feel they have to include it. (Also interesting to note how originally the gold of the logo was the main tertiary color, but now it's drifted to the wheat in the outline). I think you can pull off only having red in the logo and going all in on wheat and green (see the Vikings where there's more pink in the logo than purple) but having it be a major part of the white jerseys and a distracting detail to the green jerseys drives me nuts. 

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Forest green and wheat don't have that issue when placed together, so from a contrast perspective it makes more sense. Frankly, I think the better idea is just make the stripes on the road tricolor; red on top, wheat below red, green below wheat. Not only does it incorporate all the colors while maintaining high contrast, but it's a fun little nod to the North Stars' 80's look while still doing it's own thing.

It's also a nod to their original road jersey striping.

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

They clearly realized that having green and red as your two main colors causes legibility problems, but it's half of the logo so they feel they have to include it. (Also interesting to note how originally the gold of the logo was the main tertiary color, but now it's drifted to the wheat in the outline). I think you can pull off only having red in the logo and going all in on wheat and green (see the Vikings where there's more pink in the logo than purple) but having it be a major part of the white jerseys and a distracting detail to the green jerseys drives me nuts. 

Was it? I don't remember them using the gold/yellow as their third color. Pretty sure it was the wheat since the beginning right? 

8 hours ago, BuckDancer said:

Was it? I don't remember them using the gold/yellow as their third color. Pretty sure it was the wheat since the beginning right? 

Never on the jerseys, but I remember having some merch back in the 2000s where the outlines were more gold/yellow rather than wheat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BuckDancer said:

I don't think it was ever their real tertiary color, but the Wild did heavily feature that Y2K gold in their player gear up until the Reebok Edge takeover.

rdm_game_1_Wild_Avs_9.jpg?w=1024

3479505_orig.jpg

2013-02-13-andrew-brunette-16_9.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Point1 said:

None of those Wild concepts are better than the real thing. They've figured out the perfect balance of green, wheet, and red on both sweaters

I'll give some level of balance to the home jersey because all three colours are used fairly prominently, but is it really the perfect balance when one of those colours, wheat, doesn't appear on the away jersey (logos notwithstanding) and the only red is the numbers and the NHL collar zone?

I've never personally felt like making the numbers a different colour works for balance. If anything, it highlights the lack of red in the jersey because they stick out so much.

• Like 4

IbjBaeE.png

Taking in some playoff hockey and it appears some blue and white team is playing another blue and white team, or maybe some team is playing an intrasquad game against itself...I don't know 🤷🏿‍♂️🤦🏿

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 4/17/2023 at 2:29 PM, DTConcepts said:

I don't think it was ever their real tertiary color, but the Wild did heavily feature that Y2K gold in their player gear up until the Reebok Edge takeover.

rdm_game_1_Wild_Avs_9.jpg?w=1024

3479505_orig.jpg

2013-02-13-andrew-brunette-16_9.jpg

The Wild should bring these back or at least do the green as a throwback jersey. Everything they've done since shedding this identity has always had issues with colour management. I even liked the updated Edge variant of the whites! 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

15 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The Wild should bring these back or at least do the green as a throwback jersey. Everything they've done since shedding this identity has always had issues with colour management. I even liked the updated Edge variant of the whites! 

Switching to Red full time at home was a huge mistake. Pretty sure they'll dust it off when they'll get a Winter classic match (2025 maybe)

19 hours ago, Prince Harry said:

I have to say, I appreciate how great 7/8 first round matchups look outside of the Leafs/JrLeafs series. 

That series is a perfect example of why brand differentiation is important, and why you can't just go solely off what looks good. Having a unique identity is as important as having an aesthetically pleasing uniform. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 10:23 AM, monkeypower said:

I'll give some level of balance to the home jersey because all three colours are used fairly prominently, but is it really the perfect balance when one of those colours, wheat, doesn't appear on the away jersey (logos notwithstanding) and the only red is the numbers and the NHL collar zone?

I've never personally felt like making the numbers a different colour works for balance. If anything, it highlights the lack of red in the jersey because they stick out so much.

Yes, because wheat on a white jersey never looks good. It works as the trim for the logos.

The forest green on white looks real sharp and the numbers add a splash of colour. 

• Like 1