2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

55 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

The wordmark-less Screagle jerseys would like a word.

1998-washington-capitals-stanley-cup-finals-hangovers.jpg?resize=640%2C427&ssl=1

The white jerseys were a perfect, perfect look. If the blue jerseys had a black cuff and no wordmark, the overall look would've been perfect.

Not gonna lie, those Uniforms are pretty sweet.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

1998-washington-capitals-stanley-cup-finals-hangovers.jpg?resize=640%2C427&ssl=1

The white jerseys were a perfect, perfect look. If the blue jerseys had a black cuff and no wordmark, the overall look would've been perfect.

It's hard to argue with these. I honestly had never given them much thought, mostly because I never cared for that color scheme, either for the Caps or the Wizards. It felt too muted for my tastes. But looking at them now, the design is impeccable. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Echo said:

Hate squared-off shoulder yokes.  In general, not just on those Caps jerseys.

Even for the Devils?

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

Perfect? With THAT name and number font? No

Also, I'm nitpicking but the shape of the eagle logo is kinda weird, it only worked on the jersey next to the diagonal stripe but on its own it's always looked unbalanced

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

It’s hard to argue with these. I honestly had never given them much thought, mostly because I never cared for that color scheme, either for the Caps or the Wizards. It felt too muted for my tastes. But looking at them now, the design is impeccable. 

The color scheme is arguably the best thing about those jerseys. It’s unique, it’s eye-grabbing, and it’s undoubtedly D.C. No other city could pull off blue and bronze except the nation’s capital.

Red-white-blue is a generic color scheme. Sure, I get using it in D.C., but why not embrace a unique palette instead of one that  a fifth of the league uses in some capacity?

• Like 7
  • Yawn 1

5 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Well I do like the design, in fact I love the reverse retro, but I’m not a huge fan of the color scheme, and the number font is really rough…

• Like 2

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

4 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Because it works.

The jersey contains a unique striping pattern that's not your typical horizontal traditional stripes. But it doesn't go over-the-top with nonsensical piping or an excessive abundance of layers filled in such a way that will make the jersey age quickly and poorly. It fits well and there's a lot of space on the jersey.

It reminds me of the same scenario, regarding the Houston Texans look. The Texans have had the same uniforms for forever because everything just flows smoothly, even with a modernized font and another set of unconventional stripes. I don't know if we could call it a timeless look, yet. But seeing how it lasted multiple decades, we might be getting there soon.

Come on, I'm willing to respect some of your points since it's all very subjective but you're saying those jerseys didn't age quickly and poorly? Yikes. I can't think of a more dated jersey, other than the Ducks maybe, but it's not as old as the Caps' set. Those Caps jerseys are based on a semi-generic Reebok template from 2007, 15(!) years ago

The Texans comparison is dead wrong, as someone said earlier in the thread, the Caps are the Arizona Cardinals of the NHL lol

7 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Come on, I'm willing to respect some of your points since it's all very subjective but you're saying those jerseys didn't age quickly and poorly? Yikes. I can't think of a more dated jersey, other than the Ducks maybe, but it's not as old as the Caps' set. Those Caps jerseys are based on a semi-generic Reebok template from 2007, 15(!) years ago

The Texans comparison is dead wrong, as someone said earlier in the thread, the Caps are the Arizona Cardinals of the NHL lol

Nah, literally everything he said about the Caps jersey is right. Modern but not over the top. Maybe you could kill the side panels, but the stripes are sweet. 

5 minutes ago, Patchey13 said:

Nah, literally everything he said about the Caps jersey is right. Modern but not over the top. Maybe you could kill the side panels, but the stripes are sweet. 

Alright, let's just agree to disagree then lol

At least we sorta agree on the side panels, they really suck and have never, ever, ever looked good on a hockey jersey

4 minutes ago, dont care said:

The ducks uniform was not dated I think you need to look at what that word means. Those ducks uniforms could fit any  time period just fine.

Are we talking about the same Ducks uniforms?

spacer.png

I'd call those jerseys many things, "timeless" is not one of them

I know what the word dated means and it definitely applies to these

The Capitals navy 3rd and the Winter Classic are both neat throwback-inspired looks. They don't use the primary logo for the crest.

This is just me. For the jersey that uses the primary "capitals" script, I find that the RBK edge template looks best. The whole ensemble just fits well together. If it really was a pre-made cookie-cutter template that they just slapped the Caps logo on, then I consider it a happy accident.

A lot of click n fill templates just aren't very good. The Capitals is the exeption, to me.

I think this is a very nice looking uniform set. Tbh, I'm a bit surprised that it might be a unpopular opinion, reading through some of the comments about how the retro is far superior...

1318256854-850x560.jpeg

9 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I think this is a very nice looking uniform set. Tbh, I'm a bit surprised that it might be a unpopular opinion, reading through some of the comments about how the retro is far superior...

1318256854-850x560.jpeg

Nobody likes piping and side panels, especially on a hockey jersey 🤷‍♂️

Then again, I'm on the hunt for a 2007-2014 Blues jersey lol. So again, it's all highly subjective

But ask yourself, are you a tiny bit biased because the Caps have been consistently one of the best NHL teams over the last decade+ while wearing that jersey, including winning a Cup and having arguably the best/purest goal scorer of all time on the roster?

I just think it's not as horrendous as some other 2000s jerseys that were bad. Has nothing to do with team's success.

Side panels, most of the time, are not very nice. I'm not really that bothered by the Caps side panels.

At least's not as bad as the Sabres who had piping that ended halfway and a million little outlines around the classic logo.

Of the teams that RADICALLY changed their look for the Edge jerseys (Columbus, Dallas, Ottawa, San Jose, Tampa, Vancouver, and Washington), IMO the Capitals were the second best after Columbus, and there is a reason they are 2 of the 3 redesigns left standing.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

3 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Of the teams that RADICALLY changed their look for the Edge jerseys (Columbus, Dallas, Ottawa, San Jose, Tampa, Vancouver, and Washington), IMO the Capitals were the second best after Columbus

Boston?

3 minutes ago, nash61 said:

and there is a reason they are 2 of the 3 redesigns left standing.

Yeah cause they won a Cup in them lol

There's a reason why every team save for them and the Ducks eventually moved on from their piping, random blocks of colour, armpit stains and side panel jerseys, most of them even before Adidas took over, cause they looked terrible

Washington is always in the bottom 5 whenever anyone does a jersey ranking, I've never seen so many people, let alone on here, defending them. What's going on? 😂

10 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Nobody likes piping and side panels, especially on a hockey jersey 🤷‍♂️

Then again, I'm on the hunt for a 2007-2014 Blues jersey lol. So again, it's all highly subjective

But ask yourself, are you a tiny bit biased because the Caps have been consistently one of the best NHL teams over the last decade+ while wearing that jersey, including winning a Cup and having arguably the best/purest goal scorer of all time on the roster?

I actually would have liked that Blues jersey if the piping would have stopped when the shoulder yoke stopped. Just cut that yellow piping off at the corner of the white/blue yoke. But I liked the shape of the shoulder yoke. 

T.J. Oshie of the St. Louis Blues warms up prior to an NHL game... News  Photo - Getty Images

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Red-white-blue is a generic color scheme. Sure, I get using it in D.C., but why not embrace a unique palette instead of one that  a fifth of the league uses in some capacity?

It's dull, for one. 

If the team from the capital of the United States can't use red, white, and blue then who can?

• Like 1