2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

On 8/28/2022 at 12:42 PM, Sodboy13 said:

This makes me wonder if we could see a color flip of their Winter Classic jersey. That used a lighter blue and darker red to great effect.

It was the exact same red they use on their regular jerseys and the Nordiques blue chest stripe isn't quite the same powder blue as the Expos. So it's pretty unlikely.

On the other hand, I've always wanted to see a red version of that jersey!

spacer.png

On 8/29/2022 at 11:07 AM, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

Hot take: if the Canes absolutely wanted a black home jersey, this would have been a much better choice

• Like 3

The Sabres have finally officially announced the black and red 3rd jersey that has been rumored for some time.  No design released yet, but a schedule has been posted.

7YXWnhm.pngkrWR761.png

I'm a little disappointed that they're not going to wear this for Ryan Miller night, since this is a logo he wore for the first half of his Sabres career.

• Like 1

It's pretty funny that after 25 years the Sabres finally listened to fans and went back to the royal & gold, but now that they've announced a black & red alternate/throwback suddenly there are fans saying "bring it back full time". I honestly won't be surprised if in another 10-15 years we get a Buffaslug throwback.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Huh? 1

34 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's pretty funny that after 25 years the Sabres finally listened to fans and went back to the royal & gold, but now that they've announced a black & red alternate/throwback suddenly there are fans saying "bring it back full time". I honestly won't be surprised if in another 10-15 years we get a Buffaslug throwback.

To be fair, you literally always get "bring it back full-time" comments about throwback alts, so that's to be expected.  😛

As for the Banana Buffaslug...I don't see that every really coming back, due to how wildly unpopular it was and still is. At least the Fisherman, as polarizing as it is, has a notable fanbase. The Slug is...pretty universally not liked.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think it might be closer to 10-15 weeks, I still think it will be the reverse retro regardless of what those leaked t-shirts showed. 

• LOL 1

2 hours ago, Echo said:

I'm a little disappointed that they're not going to wear this for Ryan Miller night, since this is a logo he wore for the first half of his Sabres career.

And they're not wearing it against the Habs, Bruins or Maple Leafs either. In fact they only wear it against one old North East division rival, the Sens

I wonder who decides these things. Makes no sense to me, even looking at the calendar, it's not like they just picked weekend games or anything. It just feels completely random. Oh well. Still pretty cool that they're bringing it back

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

To be fair, you literally always get "bring it back full-time" comments about throwback alts, so that's to be expected.  😛

As for the Banana Buffaslug...I don't see that every really coming back, due to how wildly unpopular it was and still is. At least the Fisherman, as polarizing as it is, has a notable fanbase. The Slug is...pretty universally not liked.

I don't remember the goat head being beloved at the time. It benefited from being worn by Hasek and being part of a Stanley Cup run. The slug was awful, but it was also worn the last time the Sabres actually had good teams. I'm sure kids who grew up around the President's Trophy/Ryan Miller Vezina season have fond memories of those teams.

We just saw the Ducks bring back the Wild Wing jersey, the Lightning are most likely bringing back the storm uniform, Blasty went from being a joke to being beloved, and somehow the Canucks flying skate has turned into one of the most loved uniforms in the league. The NBA has also brought back a ton of gaudy '90s throwbacks that people hated at the time (Raptors dinosaur, Nets tie-dye, Pistons teal horse).

Nostalgia has always been a driving factor of marketing, but it feels like it's ramped up a lot in the last 5 years or so, even beyond sports. Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man movies were hated by most, but now that he showed up in the last one people suddenly want to see an Amazing Spider-Man 3.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man movies were hated by most, but now that he showed up in the last one people suddenly want to see an Amazing Spider-Man 3.

Speak for yourself! His movies were flawed but he's still the best and most accurate Peter Parker and Spider-Man we've had on the silver screen lol

If Sony wants to bring him back for their Morbius/Venom/Kraven universe, I'd be more than okay with that

Sorry for derailing the thread. But you're right, nostalgia is a hell of a drug

On 8/24/2022 at 10:38 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

This could mean nothing, but Zegras is wearing the alternate jersey on the cover of the NHL23 game. Unless I'm mistaken, it only happened once before where the player was not wearing a jersey from the regular home & away set, it was Toews wearing the '09 WC jerseys on the cover of NHL11, but it feels different this time. Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking!

spacer.png

With the Oilers. back in Royal Blue, now is as good a time as any for the Ducks to make the switch to orange. Gotta admit I'm still. not a fan though. When I think Ducks, I think of either the original eggplant and jade or the cup-winning black and copper. Not orange.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

And they're not wearing it against the Habs, Bruins or Maple Leafs either. In fact they only wear it against one old North East division rival, the Sens

I wonder who decides these things. Makes no sense to me, even looking at the calendar, it's not like they just picked weekend games or anything. It just feels completely random. Oh well. Still pretty cool that they're bringing it back

W/ the exception of the Caps & Rangers, they're wearing them vs un-popular teams so its clearly to help sell tickets. Only other exception is the Blues game which is the day before thanksgiving, which is annually one of the most in-demand home games.  I'd imagine the RR jersey games will be scheduled similarly. The Sabres also picked a few games last season to wear their white away unis at home but I'm not sure they will fell the need to do that this season   

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I don't remember the goat head being beloved at the time.

It was pretty popular in Buffalo.  There was always a pretty vocal minority who insisted the Sabres belonged in blue and gold, but the majority of people here embraced the goathead while the Sabres wore them.  It helped that the team was pretty likeable (Ted Nolan and the "Hardest Working Team in Hockey") and had a couple of deeper playoff runs around the time they switched. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Maybe Buffalo fans have different memories but my biggest recollection of the goat head is the 99 foot in crease goal.  

Obviously that's a big part of it, but as Buffalo sports fans even our best moments end in heartbreak, so we're still able to overlook that.

3 hours ago, Echo said:

The Sabres have finally officially announced the black and red 3rd jersey that has been rumored for some time.  No design released yet, but a schedule has been posted.

7YXWnhm.pngkrWR761.png

I mean he started his career with this as the team logo, but I'd argue the majority most people associate his time spent with the team with the the navy/yellow. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

18 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

I mean he started his career with this as the team logo, but I'd argue the majority most people associate his time spent with the team with the the navy/yellow. 

The '05-'06 team is probably the most beloved team in Sabres history since the '74-'75 French Connection / Stanley Cup Finals team.  MIller had his best individual year in navy and gold, but his best team wore black and red. 

46 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

Will there be a time that the Reebok piping will be "retro?"

I could see the Caps bringing back their Cup/Ovie jerseys in 20-30 years if they aren't still wearing them of course lol. As depressing as that sounds

Do the 2007-2016 Penguins count? No piping but still a templated monstrosity

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Do the 2007-2016 Penguins count? No piping but still a templated monstrosity

That old template was so generic, the Penguins and Senators had pretty much the exact same jerseys as well as Tampa Bay at the time. Jerseys that are slapped together in minutes are always awful.

• Like 1