2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

On 11/2/2022 at 3:17 PM, tBBP said:

Okay...Milwaukee might have something here.  And if the NBA in its current state actually cared half a modicum about preserving permanent primary identities, this right here would serve as a great basis for a new Irish rainbow-themed alternate (to pair with the uniforms with the antlers on the sides a la Florida State's basketball unis).

But alas, it is what it is, and that's just what it is...

This was my thought exactly. Why couldn't that have made them green? I may have actually liked them.

But no... they have to keep trying to make blue a thing. In fact, there's not a single dark Bucks uniform I've ever liked that wasn't green or black. Unless you count the MECCA unis, which as strange as they are, they pay tribute to something that was such an important facet of the Bucks identity and image once upon a time.

But having seen the current city edition in action now, I officially hate it. And did they have to wear it on the road against a team that normally wears blue and plays on a blue floor? It was so damn frustrating trying to follow the game.

If they want to keep the city edition around, do it within the confines of established team colors or don't do it at all.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NicDB said:

This was my thought exactly. Why couldn't that have made them green? I may have actually liked them.

But no... they have to keep trying to make blue a thing.

I fully agree that this jersey would benefit from being green (or white). The jersey color seems to serve no purpose other than to scratch the strange "blue for blue's sake" itch that the Bucks have. The Patchwork Mural in Bronzeville, which is the inspiration for the jersey, doesn't really feature that shade anyway, and has a baby blue background.

I don't think they need blue or black in their palette. Green and cream pair well and give them a distinct team identity in the NBA. Black is tolerable in limited usage for them, but blue doesn't have a place in their branding, even as an accent.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, NicDB said:

I can bet oranges over apples that in next two/three seasons we will see that uniform in black version as an alternate

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

Can anyone help me out with the sizing of the Nike warmup jackets? Looking at buying this one, but need to know how they fit? Do they fit loose? How long are they? For reference, I took a large in the Therma-flex showtime hoodies, and take a large in the swingman jerseys. spacer.png

2 hours ago, CFSB said:

Can anyone help me out with the sizing of the Nike warmup jackets? Looking at buying this one, but need to know how they fit? Do they fit loose? How long are they? For reference, I took a large in the Therma-flex showtime hoodies, and take a large in the swingman jerseys. spacer.png

You could see if they have it at your local mall or sporting goods store and then order accordingly, or find a website or merchant with generous return/exchange policies.

Bucks City without City court is much better to watch. Their City court is so bright and flashy that hurts my eyes. I don't know if it's because of lights, tv transmission, paint or combination of all but it's hard to look at Bucks when they're using blue court.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

On 11/22/2022 at 8:34 AM, fortunat1 said:

I fully agree that this jersey would benefit from being green (or white). The jersey color seems to serve no purpose other than to scratch the strange "blue for blue's sake" itch that the Bucks have. The Patchwork Mural in Bronzeville, which is the inspiration for the jersey, doesn't really feature that shade anyway, and has a baby blue background.

I don't think they need blue or black in their palette. Green and cream pair well and give them a distinct team identity in the NBA. Black is tolerable in limited usage for them, but blue doesn't have a place in their branding, even as an accent.

Even with the various changes in colors over the years, their original logo was green, gold, black, and white (cream). There was black Bucks merch long before NWA became a thing and convinced every team to wear black.

If they can't use cream anymore because it's too close to the color of the floor, then ditch blue for neon green. Either way I do not get this obsession with blue. Most NBA cities are on a big body of water. That doesn't make us unique. It makes me think our owners are just bitter that they don't own the Knicks. 

• Like 2

I remember rumors around the time of the reveal of the Bucks' new branding that blue was really being added because of the Greek flag and they wanted to keep Giannis around. I still don't see them doing much to tie in blue with the Greek flag on merch or anything so maybe there was nothing to this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, eRay said:

I remember rumors around the time of the reveal of the Bucks' new branding that blue was really being added because of the Greek flag and they wanted to keep Giannis around. I still don't see them doing much to tie in blue with the Greek flag on merch or anything so maybe there was nothing to this.

I heard this as well. But I could never buy it. Yes, the Antetokumbros are from Greece, but ethnically they're Nigerian and act like it, and I never thought it's a coincidence that Giannis wears the same number as Hakeem the Dream. 

Besides, they chose to make blue a "team color" when Giannis was still a rookie who no one was sold on because Yi Jianlian happened just a few years before and turned out to be a bill of goods. I was relieved when the Bucks finally got rid of purple, and now that's starting to creep back in too. But I could even deal with that over blue, since Ray Allen was my idol.

Stop trying to make blue a thing!

• Like 1

i dont really care if the bucks want to come out with blue city edition jerseys. but it really does bother me when i see blue on their main branding. whether its the court or the three main jerseys. so small yet so bothersome. like from a visual standpoint there is no reason why a team that uses forest green and cream as their main colors should have even a sliver of blue. let alone that borderline neon shade. its so random...

• Like 1

The side panel on the Bucks jerseys doesn't look good, nor is it necessary. I think that the charm of the Irish Rainbow came from the cohesive color scheme and wide range of greens. The current panel has green, white, cream, blue, and black, which doesn't flow in the same way. The current colors can't create the same effect, so I think it's best that the Bucks abandon the idea for now.

I wouldn't be shocked if the next set of primary uniforms ditches the "rainbow" side panel for antlers. Not only are the antlers popular with fans, but the team seems to like them enough to put them on the statement edition.

• Like 3

On 2022-11-28 at 1:34 PM, NicDB said:

I heard this as well. But I could never buy it. Yes, the Antetokumbros are from Greece, but ethnically they're Nigerian and act like it, and I never thought it's a coincidence that Giannis wears the same number as Hakeem the Dream. 

I think it would be less to appeal to Giannis and family, and more to appeal to his Greek fans. I've seen Giannis playing on the road team a couple times now, and each time it's felt like a Greek-American festival (again, for the road team!). No inside info here, but I can imagine they sell even more merch if it touches on Greece aesthetics too (and convenient the shade of blue they've been using sure looks awfully Greek).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Digby said:

I think it would be less to appeal to Giannis and family, and more to appeal to his Greek fans. I've seen Giannis playing on the road team a couple times now, and each time it's felt like a Greek-American festival (again, for the road team!). No inside info here, but I can imagine they sell even more merch if it touches on Greece aesthetics too (and convenient the shade of blue they've been using sure looks awfully Greek).

I don't doubt that's what they're leaning into now. But again, they introduced blue when Giannis was still just a project. Not something they were banking the franchise on.

Still. Their regular look has a timeless quality to it, and now they won a championship with it. They should be milking that for all it's worth. The Bulls didn't dilute their brand when they had MJ and he was a global sensation. I'd think Greek people would be content to wear green & cream since those are the colors of the Greek Freak.