2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

First round is up on LockerVision! 

Saturday’s games:

Philly (red statements) vs. Brooklyn (Black with white outlines)

Cleveland (white) vs. New York (unnecessary navy statements)

Sacramento (black) vs. Golden State (white)

Boston (city) vs. Atlanta (white)

Sunday’s games:

Phoenix (black statements) vs. Clippers (white)

Memphis (Navy icons) vs. Lakers (white)

On Monday, Kings vs. Warriors is the same and Philly and Brooklyn will be blue icon vs white association. 

Boston will flip back to white for their Game 2 against Atlanta in black, New York will wear black vs Cleveland in white and PHX/LAC will be same as G1. 

Memphis flips to city editions vs. Lakers yellow in Game 2. 

Warriors going city at home for G3, but thankfully Brooklyn and the Clippers will be icon vs association. 

Knicks in white for their home games vs. Cavs in black. 

Atlanta in Black vs. Boston in Green when the Hawks are at home. 

Warriors thankfully back to white in G4, with Sacramento returning in black. 

Lakers/Grizz have a Yellow/City and a Yellow/White game planned. 

Clippers will wear black for Game 4 against Suns in white. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Minnesota really needs a rebrand. The association and icon unis are meh, and the navy court is just lifeless (of course, the lower corner placement of the baseline wordmarks for all teams is just stupid).  Late 90s blue, lime green, and black would work in their statement style; or home/road mixtape unis would be fine with me. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

First round is up on LockerVision! 

Saturday’s games:

Philly (red statements) vs. Brooklyn (Black with white outlines)

Cleveland (white) vs. New York (unnecessary navy statements)

Sacramento (black) vs. Golden State (white)

Boston (city) vs. Atlanta (white)

Sunday’s games:

Phoenix (black statements) vs. Clippers (white)

Memphis (Navy icons) vs. Lakers (white)

On Monday, Kings vs. Warriors is the same and Philly and Brooklyn will be blue icon vs white association. 

Boston will flip back to white for their Game 2 against Atlanta in black, New York will wear black vs Cleveland in white and PHX/LAC will be same as G1. 

Memphis flips to city editions vs. Lakers yellow in Game 2. 

Warriors going city at home for G3, but thankfully Brooklyn and the Clippers will be icon vs association. 

Knicks in white for their home games vs. Cavs in black. 

Atlanta in Black vs. Boston in Green when the Hawks are at home. 

Warriors thankfully back to white in G4, with Sacramento returning in black. 

Lakers/Grizz have a Yellow/City and a Yellow/White game planned. 

Clippers will wear black for Game 4 against Suns in white. 

This just shows why home whites (plus yellow Lakers) vs color aways needs to come back as soon as possible. 

• Like 7

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Minnesota really needs a rebrand. The association and icon unis are meh, and the navy court is just lifeless (of course, the lower corner placement of the baseline wordmarks for all teams is just stupid).  Late 90s blue, lime green, and black would work in their statement style; or home/road mixtape unis would be fine with me. 

About the wordmark placement, about halfway through this season I started to wonder exactly why every team was doing that. Sure it was for ads, but in the seasons before this one when there were national TV games, that space would get covered by the full wordmark (or another wordmark which was something I didn't really like). Now it's just an empty space. That's when I came up with the theory that that space might be saved for postseason logos, like such:

image-2023-04-15-014353481.png

(This is part of a concept I made that kinda goes along with what you were asking for.)

Unfortunately so far this hasn't happened during the play-in but I'm holding out hope that this happens during the playoffs or the Finals. Allegedly the finals/playoffs decals were slippery which is why they stopped using them but this would be a great compromise.

• Like 9

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

honestly, i wouldn't mind if the grey-lime green look became the base of a rebrand, at least colorwise. i normally hate when alternates become the base of a rebrand, but honestly i don't think i like any wolves jerseys besides the first set (the KG ones are such a good idea, i just don't think they looked great besides the black ones), and their insistence on being a primarily blue little to no green team is very frustrating to me, especially given that their current ones are two very dull blues. i think their current brand is Fine, i don't hate it like i did the K-Love ones, but i think there could be a lot better things done. 

or just make a white version of their 2022 city jerseys...that'd be fine too.

• Like 3
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

11 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Well, I think this is the best color scheme they've had, even if it gets a little too close to the Seahawks. Things were too dismal in the KG years, and royal blue/kelly green was too close to the Mavericks and something about that color scheme made them look cheap and sad.

I'm not sure what color distribution you have in mind, but I'm worried it would look too much like the post-KG uniforms, which also feel vaguely sad because of how deeply moribund the team was until the recent rebrand. A 30% grey (not Wolf Grey!) as their base color with blue and green accents is intriguing, and would certainly be something different, but I don't think it would work with the Geometos font. That medium value sorta calls for sharper edges than something pleasant and Neutrafacey, I feel.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Those still feel a little too cartoonish for today.

The Timberwolves are a hard team to come up with ideas for, to be honest. There's not a lot to work with. You can't be traditional with them like the Twins and Vikings, nor can you go postmodern Ye Olde Tyme like you can with the Wild or North Stars. I guess that sort of leaves them with '90s retro or modern as their niche.

• Like 6

The KG era was by far the best they've ever looked. It was very 90s corny-fierce, but it worked and was befitting of the name. The launch set was too generic, post-KG was a non-committal reeling-in of the prior set, and their current "primaries" (although I feel like they never wear them, for the better in this case) are total garbage.

I think part of their problem is they're just another blue team, and... that's it. Do they have to be blue? They're not the Knicks or Warriors, they have no tradition they need to stick to. For the KG era I liked the black alts, white home, and [sizable gap] and the blue primary roads in that order. I kind of like the black (or is it charcoal?) with lime they've been wearing this year. Maybe look at going that way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, who do you think said:

The KG era was by far the best they've ever looked. It was very 90s corny-fierce, but it worked and was befitting of the name. The launch set was too generic, post-KG was a non-committal reeling-in of the prior set, and their current "primaries" (although I feel like they never wear them, for the better in this case) are total garbage.

I agree with a lot of this, but I don't think the current uniforms are garbage. They're okay. They're almost there.

2,065 Kevin Garnett 2004 Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

The circa-2004 Timberwolves had a bit of that Team From Nowhere feel to them that I've talked about.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

52 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

These should be the basis for Minnesota's primary uniforms:

spacer.png

Those should absolutely be the Wolves' primary home/aways. It might be a tad bit difficult to translate to white—but then again once the L let the Swoosh eradicate whatever semblance of normal home/away was left (which admittedly was already eroding before The Takeover), it might not matter now if the Wolves were to use a super-light gray color for the backs while using pure/Normal white for the front. (And me personally, I wouldn't mind the split back/front thing again; it was Toronto's thing for a good while, and now Minnesota *could* "own" it if they wanted.)

Now, with all that said: I'd like to see them try a...bluer...version of their current lighter blue along with the navy, and a richer bright green with a tadbit more blue in it. And as far as the 90s scripts go, that outer keyline should probably be eliminated; that'd help "clean it up" a bit. Oh and it goes without saying that the tree trim absolutely has to stay.

They put their current wolf head primary logo with the above uniforms, leave well enough alone, and they'll be good and set. Of course, that's just one man's opinion...my Two Rusted Lincolns*.

*official trademark of tBBP Inc.

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

KAT-5.png 

I dunno, I'm kinda into these. Feels like a refinement of the rebrand... the wordmark sticks with the modern simplicity they set out for but isn't the total snoozer Neutra-style thing that I agree doesn't really fit the team -- the little M/V teeth is juuust cartoonish enough and somehow works. Charcoal and lime green is nicely distinctive too; I've always liked green and grey as a combination. (Though they probably do need some blue in there for this to be full-time.) The Wolves are probably one of those teams that'll always be tweaking and evolving and that's fine. Not everyone can or should stick with the same thing forever.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Now, with all that said: I'd like to see them try a...bluer...version of their current lighter blue along with the navy, and a richer bright green with a tadbit more blue in it. And as far as the 90s scripts go, that outer keyline should probably be eliminated; that'd help "clean it up" a bit. Oh and it goes without saying that the tree trim absolutely has to stay.

Sounds like a good time to plug my concept lol. Pretty much exactly what you're asking for:

image-2023-04-15-122651703.png

image-2023-04-15-122508380.png

I made another concept that was dedicated to trying to utilize the current color scheme but ideally this is what I want us to look like.

• Like 14
  • Love 1

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

ive always thought that the timberwolves rebranded unis were alright, just not fitting for minnesota. to me i always thought that they looked like a watered down version of the wizards. which actually isnt too bad for the wizards if they took this design. (im gonna plug in my own edit here aswell now lol)

Screenshot-2023-04-15-113737.png

its always bothered me how much the wizards overdesigned their unis. the main design of the stripes in front is fine. but then theres a thin navy line running down the side of the jersey. which then extends to the shorts except is now surrounded with these big red stripes. which altogether is met near the end where theres a white star and below that is a navy portion. and right next to all that is the dc logo just sitting there. i hate the recent wave of "cleaning up jerseys" but if anyone needs some cleaning up its the wizards for me. 

SBN Reacts: In one word, Wizards fans call this season disappointing -  Bullets Forever

but anyways i think the current color scheme for the timberwolves is great. as mentioned if they could just take the design of their city jerseys last year then that would be an amazing base design for them. update the colors and font to match the current brand and it could genuinely be a top set in the league. 

• Like 5

The KG uniforms have a lot of very nice things about them, the trees and font fit very well, they aren't obnoxious in a way I find a lot of 90s jerseys, but the color balance of them I've always found a little confusing. There's not really a lot of blue on the home or the alternates, honestly, I find that shade of blue butt ugly but maybe that's because most pictures of it their soaked in KG's sweat. I agree with the sentiment that the Wolves are ultimately 90s expansion team that has had 0 like, identifiable identity besides being bad and losing 5 years of first round picks twice, so I think they can play outside the box of their Known Color Scheme. 

• Like 2
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

54 minutes ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

Boston Celtics bringing out marathon-inspired warmup shirts today. It's 10 years to the day since the tragic bombing at the 2013 Marathon.

image.png

When Nike first unveiled the City program I assumed this would be what the Celtics got (in jersey form, obviously).

Can’t lie, the more and more I see the Cavs jersey set I love them. Because I sure as hell thought they looked like practice jerseys at first. 

the only thing I’m not a huge fan of is wordmarks on jerseys that don’t have an arch on them. 

and I don’t love the all maroon jersey & accessories combo.