2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

18 hours ago, Cujo said:

Alts should be forbidden from series clinching games and the entire Finals.

EXHIBIT A:

Kevin Love needed to step up in Game 7, and he did

That's a good principle.  But there should be room for an exception in the case of throwbacks.  To wit:

Jason Kidd of the New Jersey Nets shoots over Tony Parker of the San Antonio Spurs during game five of the 2003 NBA Finals at the Continental...

Indeed, the first NBA Finals contested by two former ABA teams should have seen both teams wearing ABA uniforms in honour of their shared history.

Nets-Spurs-2003-Erving-Gervin.png

Unfortunately, the Spurs did not play along.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Good, Heritage Night for a 30 years dead league is fine but that’s no better in the actual Finals than Pretending To Still Have Oakland Street Cred Night.

All of these are fundamentally marketing promotions, which i’m not opposed to (gives the design nerd stuff to talk about) but ought to be saved for when you need the marketing promotion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

The thing I find odd about the Nuggets current uniforms is that I can't really get a sense of what their actual colors are. Are they a primarily navy+yellow team? Navy + white with touches of yellow and maroon? Navy with imbalanced amounts of dark red/yellow/white? And then for good measure, they thrown in a royal blue alt that doesn't fit in at all. 

The way to think of the Nuggets' color scheme is blue and gold. They have always worn primarily blue uniforms with gold as a secondary and various tertiary colors (often red).  It's definitely a unique way to handle a color scheme but I think it is much more consistent than what we've seen with the Jazz for example. 

As a Nuggets fan, I think that this idea that the powder blue was beloved is a bit wrong though. To a lot of Nuggets fans that almost feels like an era of Nuggets basketball rather than the basis of our core identity. The real issue is that they refuse to embrace the rainbows fully, which would really solve all of their identity problems in my opinion.

• Like 4

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

23 hours ago, kimball said:

I agree. City and Classic Editions shouldn't be used. Stick to the Association, Icon and Statement Editions. Road teams should never wear their Association jerseys on the road.

I feel like this statement should go into a time capsule...and 50 years from now when our grandchildren dig it up and read this, and be like, "what kind of uniforms did they wear?", I'll look at them and be like, "I ain't know then, either."

1 hour ago, JTernup said:

As a Nuggets fan, I think that this idea that the powder blue was beloved is a bit wrong though. To a lot of Nuggets fans that almost feels like an era of Nuggets basketball rather than the basis of our core identity. The real issue is that they refuse to embrace the rainbows fully, which would really solve all of their identity problems in my opinion.

That may be all and good, but now thanks to the Utah red rock and Phoenix rainbow-esque alternates (that's what I'm referring to them as--bump all that mess up above), not to mention the other NBA team that made rainbow-esque motifs part of their identity (that'd be the deer), it wouldn't even be all that unique to Denver anymore.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

20 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

The NBA feels like the only sport teams consistently change their primary colors.  NFL you will see shade changed ie the Chargers but never like the NBA where teams like the Jazz, Nuggets, Hawks, and Cavs have changed their overall identity multiple times.

Maybe you're right about the NFL but I can think of plenty of pretty significant color scheme changes in the NHL and MLB. Often multiple ones by the same team, not that far apart either.

7 hours ago, JTernup said:

As someone who lived in Denver in the 90s, damn near the whole city was ecstatic that the Nuggets finally had three main colors in 1993 rather than six colors.  Royal, yellow and red can work while going back to a classic skyline-mountain look.  Then again, nothing wrong with turning the current navy Jerseys to royal with a yellow wordmark outlined in red. 

• Like 6

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, tBBP said:

That may be all and good, but now thanks to the Utah red rock and Phoenix rainbow-esque alternates (that's what I'm referring to them as--bump all that mess up above), not to mention the other NBA team that made rainbow-esque motifs part of their identity (that'd be the deer), it wouldn't even be all that unique to Denver anymore.

I mean there has definitely been some infringement (Dallas skyline alternate comes to mind as well) but as the basis for an identity it would still be pretty unique. The red rocks and valley uniforms read as much more of a gradient than a rainbow to me.

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

As someone who lived in Denver in the 90s, damn near the whole city was ecstatic that the Nuggets finally had three main colors in 1993 rather than six colors.  Royal, yellow and red can work while going back to a classic skyline-mountain look. 

I totally believe that. It was honestly pretty far ahead of its time and the 90’s aesthetic was so dark and drab compared to the rainbows. FWIW I do think the recent black and white rainbow city jerseys of recent years nailed the color balance needed to really let the rainbow shine. The old school gold cuffs and Royal base were very busy alongside the rainbow.

The Nuggets have had two iconic & identifiable uniforms: The rainbow skyline and Melo powder blues. The 90's unis (navy, bronze, red) were a breath of fresh air when they came out. The skyline unis and logo had grown pretty old and outdated. Unfortunately, their 90s look became rather forgettable because they were associated with some very awful teams -- Which is why the Melo unis were so beloved. Those ushered in a new era of winning (for Nuggets standards) basketball. But it's time came too. What they have now it pretty basic. Unis are modern and they're using colors that have mostly been a franchise constant over the years. 

• Like 6

6uXNWAo.png

9 minutes ago, JTernup said:

I mean there has definitely been some infringement (Dallas skyline alternate comes to mind as well) but as the basis for an identity it would still be pretty unique. The red rocks and valley uniforms read as much more of a gradient than a rainbow to me.

I totally believe that. It was honestly pretty far ahead of its time and the 90’s aesthetic was so dark and drab compared to the rainbows. FWIW I do think the recent black and white rainbow city jerseys of recent years nailed the color balance needed to really let the rainbow shine. The old school gold cuffs and Royal base were very busy alongside the rainbow.

The recent white jerseys used navy as the main accent color, then for whetever reason they switched to black the next year. Not sure they should have white and black unis now. 

The rainbow “Atari Breakout” look was definitely not ahead of its time. It was definitely a product of the 80s and extremely dated in the 1990s

Everyone knows the navy gold and crimson were dripped because of awful basketball after 1995 and Kiki wanted UCLA colors. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The recent white jerseys used navy as the main accent color, then for whetever reason they switched to black the next year. Not sure they should have white and black unis now. 

The rainbow “Atari Breakout” look was definitely not ahead of its time. It was definitely a product of the 80s and extremely dated in the 1990s

Everyone knows the navy gold and crimson were dripped because of awful basketball after 1995 and Kiki wanted UCLA colors. 

They nailed the color balance, not necessarily the colors. Outside of the rainbow itself both the black and white city rainbows were essentially two color designs with no outlined numbers, very minimal adornment, and minimal one color trim. Compare that to the classic rainbows which had a bright base color, three color twill, and bright gold trim. The new uniforms let the rainbow shine with a simplistic base while the old ones (as much as I love them) had a lot competing for visual interest.

It can be of its time for general design and culture but still ahead of its time for an NBA uniform. Nobody else did anything approaching that level of detail and unique design for another decade. I wasn't around for the switch but if it were "dated" I'd say that is mostly a result of the general business I described above.  Looking back on it now from a marketability, nostalgia, and memorable perspective it is clear that they dropped something that was great and could have continued to be with some updates for something that was completely forgettable and drab. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 2:28 PM, kimball said:

I need to see these side by side ... I didn't even realize they changed them. Huh.

4492bb0803cc4aeaaf97bdab95fd8f5c.jpg?w=1timberwolves-nuggets-basketball.jpeg

And, yeah, the older versions are better. The red on the shorts is too gaudy and the red outline on the gold print is too much. 

Dumb change.

Wow I never noticed that. No wonder I was thinking they looked like the Globe Trotters. 

My god that looks bad. 

On 5/2/2023 at 7:43 PM, BBTV said:

Melo-era colors with the alt wordmark from the navy jersey could have been their forever jersey. 

I have never agreed with something more. The Nuggets' look has gone downhill ever since they slightly altered the design ahead of the 2010-11 season alongside the move to the Rev30 template, and especially since they moved away from powder blue.