2022-23 International Club Soccer Kits

officeglenn

On 10/3/2022 at 8:54 PM, aawagner011 said:

Another special edition kit for Bayern releasing some time later this month.

The pattern and colors are taken from the 1972 Olympics for which the stadium was named. It looks like the inspiration is mostly just from the Olympics and doesn’t seem to pull much from the unique architecture of the building (which was inspired by the Alps).

spacer.png

Bayern played at the Olympiastadion from the early 1970s until 2005 when the Allianz Arena opened.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I tend to prefer the color scheme of the light blue and white (like the Bavarian flag) but I don’t think you’ll see that combination for a long time as many fans only associate it with rival 1860 Munich. 1860 has been irrelevant for at least 15 years but the fans still hate them and it’s a rivalry when the two teams play in the lower divisions (with Bayern’s second team).

Official images have hit the FC Bayern shop so I’d expect this to be unveiled tomorrow. This looks like a banger. I’d say it’s one of the top kits of the year in terms of creativity and color. The colors absolutely evoke that era. This is the second Bayern kit this year with the new Deutsche Telekom logo (the first being the Oktoberfest design, they’ve also used the new logo on training wear). Lastly, if you’ve been keeping track, this makes five kits for the club this year, which surely must be a record.

spacer.png

The number font really grabs your attention with the color and detail.

spacer.png

Full kit:

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

8 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Newcastle 130th anniversary kit:

front-1.jpg

The Newcastle crest is one of those that doesn't look all that nice monotone, but otherwise it's not bad. Having said that, Newcastle United were founded in 1881, not 1992, which is the date the team moved to St James' Park and has been acknowledged by the club itself.

It should be "130 years at St James' Park"

STOP CENTERING CRESTS IT LOOKS AWFUL 🤬

Meanwhile Nike just continues their run of producing hot garbage for football. The templates are bad, the designs are bad and their fixation on minimalism for several kits screams “why even try since the supply chain is broken”.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Huh? 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 10/13/2022 at 6:25 PM, aawagner011 said:

Official images have hit the FC Bayern shop so I’d expect this to be unveiled tomorrow. This looks like a banger. I’d say it’s one of the top kits of the year in terms of creativity and color. The colors absolutely evoke that era. This is the second Bayern kit this year with the new Deutsche Telekom logo (the first being the Oktoberfest design, they’ve also used the new logo on training wear). Lastly, if you’ve been keeping track, this makes five kits for the club this year, which surely must be a record.

spacer.png

The number font really grabs your attention with the color and detail.

spacer.png

Full kit:

spacer.png

Weird situation developing with the debut of these kits. Bayern is set to wear them in the cup game against Augsburg in a few minutes. However, it looks like the match kits have dark navy numbers to match the collar and cuffs instead of the orange numbers that were previously shown. It’s unclear why. Maybe there are some rules regarding what can and can’t be worn in the DFB Pokal.

21 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Weird situation developing with the debut of these kits. Bayern is set to wear them in the cup game against Augsburg in a few minutes. However, it looks like the match kits have dark navy numbers to match the collar and cuffs instead of the orange numbers that were previously shown. It’s unclear why. Maybe there are some rules regarding what can and can’t be worn in the DFB Pokal.

Probably an issue of legibility on TV and phone screens. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/19/2022 at 9:12 AM, MJWalker45 said:

For some reason, (money), Spurs will be wearing their ugly away kit vs Manchester United today. 

Tottenham Hotspur 2022/23 Nike Away Kit - FOOTBALL FASHION

Someone was complaining United never wears their home socks. Looks like they will today!

I was wrong. Forgot they had highlighter yellow socks. 

Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2022/10/adidas-x-lego-home-away-kits.html

Not an actual team, but adidas and Lego have a collaboration. 

adidas adidas Tiro x LEGO® Away Jersey - Grey | adidas SA

Men's Jerseys | adidas USadidas adidas Tiro x LEGO® Away Jersey - Grey | adidas SA

One Love, United

The adidas EPL teams are all releasing a Love Unites line. Much like the MLS, they are all using the same designs instead of getting their own designs like previous years.  Unlike MLS, each team has whole training kit layout instead of just the jersey. 

adidas launch Love Unites range - Leeds United

Arsenal and adidas unveil Love Unites training kit | Partner Activation |  News | Arsenal.com

Arsenal Love Unites Track Top | Official Online Store

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Arsenal at PSV today... obviously can't use the standard kit and the pink one wouldn't work either (stupid clash kit choice this year), the black one works but UEFA apparently doesn't like shorts clashes so they had to get one-off white shorts. Looks like no Adidas stripes of any color, which looks weird.

Personally I think this is where UEFA is acting counter-productively ... teams in light-dark inverse of one another are harder to discern by my eye. I don't mind the same color shorts if their shirts and socks are heavily contrasted.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• 2 weeks later...

They've used both a shield and a roundel before so there's some historic significance for the two (the right logo is nearly identical to one they used in the past).

I like the shield, but the roundel looks a little better on merch. Let's see what their fans want.

• Like 1

The Roundel was always going to win the vote, Villa fans have been wanting the return of the roundel crest for a good while now and the team did wear a roundel crest when they became champions of Europe, so not surprised in the least that the fans voted for the roundel.

On 2022-11-07 at 11:35 PM, VikWings said:

One on the right looks too much like Chelsea.

Aston Villa wore a similar roundel to their new logo between 1973 and 1992, Chelsea adopted their current logo for their centenary in 2005.

480px-Chelsea_FC.svg.pngspacer.png

Side by side, there are a lot of differences, in the lion, Aston Villa have a star on their crest, the differences in font, the Footballs and Roses on the Chelsea crest, the date of foundation on the Aston Villa crest and "Football Club" on the Chelsea crest. 

Both are roundels and both have  (very differently styled) lions as the centerpiece, but thats where the similarities end.