2022 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVII

canzman

9 minutes ago, VikWings said:

On Thanksgiving my mom said the Lions "look like they're wearing pajamas." It's flat out baffling how they didn't wear the throwbacks. Air balled a layup.

More like they shot at the wrong goal then got blocked by the rim...

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 11/24/2022 at 6:29 PM, Cujo said:

I've truly never understood why people think these are so great.

As mentioned above the socks have a lot to do with it but I'd like to highlight a few details.

1. The Lions all wore black footwear, which was unheard of in 1994. Nobody did that. The universal opinion of black cleats at the time was that they were old fashioned, grindy, three yards and a cloud of dust. To see Barry Sanders rock them while darting through a defense was mind blowing.

2. The Lions wore them a lot. The Lions were one of the teams who really leaned into the throwbacks so we got a lot of games on national TV with them, including THANKSGIVING, the one time of the year when every eyeball was on the Lions. To show up and rock a very clearly old school look on a day associated with traditions, was pretty spot on.

3. The Lions regular unis were not well regarded. The early 90's template was not kind to the uniform the Lions had been wearing since the 70's. It looked a lot like the Cowboys (who were just bleeping everywhere in 1994) and the blues was quite a bit too light. These were darker in shade and had the plain silver numbers and nothing (not even TV numbers) on the sleeves. It was a big breath of fresh air.

4. So they entered into legend for awhile and then suddenly in 2001, bang they're back! The legends return and against the Packers on Thanksgiving, deeper blues, black cleats, and solid socks. There weren't really any alternates at the NFL level. The uniform community wasn't what it is now.  A lot of this was still word of mouth. So it was a big deal that this set that had only been a memory for 7 years to suddenly be on national TV.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

6 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

As mentioned above the socks have a lot to do with it but I'd like to highlight a few details.

1. The Lions all wore black footwear, which was unheard of in 1994. Nobody did that. The universal opinion of black cleats at the time was that they were old fashioned, grindy, three yards and a cloud of dust. To see Barry Sanders rock them while darting through a defense was mind blowing.

2. The Lions wore them a lot. The Lions were one of the teams who really leaned into the throwbacks so we got a lot of games on national TV with them, including THANKSGIVING, the one time of the year when every eyeball was on the Lions. To show up and rock a very clearly old school look on a day associated with traditions, was pretty spot on.

3. The Lions regular unis were not well regarded. The early 90's template was not kind to the uniform the Lions had been wearing since the 70's. It looked a lot like the Cowboys (who were just bleeping everywhere in 1994) and the blues was quite a bit too light. These were darker in shade and had the plain silver numbers and nothing (not even TV numbers) on the sleeves. It was a big breath of fresh air.

4. So they entered into legend for awhile and then suddenly in 2001, bang they're back! The legends return and against the Packers on Thanksgiving, deeper blues, black cleats, and solid socks. There weren't really any alternates at the NFL level. The uniform community wasn't what it is now.  A lot of this was still word of mouth. So it was a big deal that this set that had only been a memory for 7 years to suddenly be on national TV.

2  -- the Lions were only on TV on Thanksgiving. 

3  -- their uniforms have never been confused with the Cowboys. Neither their blue nor their silver were the same.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

Just now, Sec19Row53 said:

2  -- the Lions were only on TV on Thanksgiving. 

3  -- their uniforms have never been confused with the Cowboys. Neither their blue nor their silver were the same.

2. In Barry's prime? They debuted them on MNF against the defending champ Cowboys. Of the 5 times they wore them, they were in a featured time slot 4 times (1 MNF, 1 SNF, Thanksgiving, and a Saturday showcase).

3. To the casual observer at that time, yes there was confusion. The shades were much closer together and they both used the Brasier striping.

755881147-dallas-cowboys-vs-san-francisc

690367830.0.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Granted they had stopped by 1994, but Buddy Ryan's Eagles wore black cleats too.  I believe this is from 1990.

2717181_original.jpg?1308691899

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

2. In Barry's prime? They debuted them on MNF against the defending champ Cowboys. Of the 5 times they wore them, they were in a featured time slot 4 times (1 MNF, 1 SNF, Thanksgiving, and a Saturday showcase).

3. To the casual observer at that time, yes there was confusion. The shades were much closer together and they both used the Brasier striping.

755881147-dallas-cowboys-vs-san-francisc

690367830.0.jpg

Were you around then? No, they weren't confused.

It's where I sit.

I don't recall ever turning on a game and confusing the Lions and Cowboys, even if those photos exploit the obvious similarities.  Context is important, and IMO it was always instantly obvious which team was playing.  Of course, we didn't have Red Zone or internet or the ability to flip between 50 games at once, so chances are you knew exactly who was playing when you turned on the TV.  But even in highlights, I don't think they were ever confusable.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

As mentioned above the socks have a lot to do with it

I stopped reading immediately after this.

If mother:censored:ing SOCKS are the highlight of why a uniforms is great.. Just stop. Stop. Delete. Deactivate your account.

• Huh? 1
  • Dislike 6
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 2

6uXNWAo.png

18 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

It’s a shame that the Dolphins are back to wearing white at home so late in the season after several years of switching to aqua by November. I hate the way they keep trying to hype up this look. Are they not wearing the white throwbacks this year?

There should be rule for wearing white at home more than 2 times per season. Either have white as primary home color or wear home uniform

8 hours ago, Cujo said:

I stopped reading  immediately after this.

If mother:censored:ing SOCKS are the highlight of why a uniforms is great.. Just stop. Stop. Delete. Deactivate your account.

This is silly.  When they debuted, none of us (meaning people who were of a meaningful age back in '94) had seen an NFL game where the socks were solid from knee to shoe.  It was a novelty, and absolutely one of the reasons that they were noteworthy.  Whether the socks alone made them "great" is certainly debatable, but they were different and something really neat to see.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1