NBA Colored Uniform At Home Games Before 2017

The NBA allowed teams the option to wear their colored uniform at home in recent years, where prior the standard was the home team had to wear white and the visiting team in their colored uniform. This thread is colored uniforms at home in the NBA pre-2017. Lets give all instances where a team wore their colored uniform prior to the current era.

-In the mid 2000s the Lakers and 76ers were both in throwback uniforms. The Lakers were in blue and the 76ers in white.

-In the late 2000s the Nuggets wore a green uniform and the Jazz in their white uniform at the Pepsi Center. That week the NBA was promoting earth green week. There was another team who wore green as the home team, but my memory of it is fuzzy.

-The Heat wore their black uniform on their home court against the Bulls in the late 2000s.

-The Blazers used to wear their red uniforms at the then Rose Garden when they had their games on or near Christmas day during the Brandon Roy era. One of those games was against Denver, and the Nuggets were in white.

I recall a game when the Celtics wore their green uniform at home. I can't remember what game it was, but I think it was in a time when Boston had the big three, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen.

These are the most I can remember. What other NBA games had the home team not in their colors instead of white before 2017? I used to follow the NBA, but don't follow it like before. So I was curious about the instances I don't know of/about.

• Like 1

When the Bobcats were rebecoming the Hornets, I thought it would have been a neat idea for them to wear teal at home against sufficiently clashing teams (viz., teams in red, black, orange, navy) and white against the rest. I'm sorry for what I lathe-of-heavened into being. I couldn't have predicted I Googled Something uniforms.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/29/2022 at 6:28 PM, gothedistance said:

I recall a game when the Celtics wore their green uniform at home. I can't remember what game it was, but I think it was in a time when Boston had the big three, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen.

The Celtics wore their original green alt (pictured above) for Black Friday home games starting the year they unveiled it.

For whatever reason, I also recall a random game in Orlando in 2003-04 - first year of Orlando's ghost piping uniforms, last year of T-Mac - where they wore their regular blues and the Celtics wore white. I can also recall several hard\wood classics games with color at home/white on road but I don't know if those are quite in the spirit of what we're talking about here.

• Like 1

The Lakers and Celtics wore throwbacks in December 1996 making this the only time the Lakers wore a road jersey and blue in The Forum. Also, Kobe didn't play in this game so if you see someone wearing this jersey with the gold NBA logo then it's something he never actually wore.

shaquille-oneal-of-the-los-angeles-laker

041514fox2.jpg?w=620

Also, the Hornets debuted their purple alternate at home against the magic to open the 1994-95 season.

bI1QFoy.png

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

On 7/1/2022 at 6:16 AM, Old School Fool said:

The Lakers and Celtics wore throwbacks in December 1996 making this the only time the Lakers wore a road jersey and blue in The Forum. Also, Kobe didn't play in this game so if you see someone wearing this jersey with the gold NBA logo then it's something he never actually wore.

shaquille-oneal-of-the-los-angeles-laker

041514fox2.jpg?w=620

Also, the Hornets debuted their purple alternate at home against the magic to open the 1994-95 season.

bI1QFoy.png

Technically that was the Hornets' 3rd game of the season - 9th November, 1994. The team had to request permission to wear the road unis at home from both the NBA and the Magic.

2 more occurances - on March 17th 1986 the Jazz wore their old green uniforms at home vs Detroit, who wore their standard blue uniforms. They did the same on March 17th 1987, at vs. the Warriors, who again wore their standard road unis.

Here's a pic from the 1986 game:

spacer.png

• Like 1

g_anthony_vi.jpg

October 30, 2003

Denver Nuggets @ Houston Rockets

mrHPPZE7bctPQNKCu4oxH3lce_ybA4D0HYtmSdOc

January 30, 2012

Chicago Bulls @ Miami Heat

jerry-stackhouse-of-the-philadelphia-76e

November 23, 1996

New York Knicks @ Philadelphi 76ers

derek-fisher-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-m

December 28, 2003

Boston Celtics @ Los Angeles Lakers

chicago-bulls-guard-ron-harper-l-one-of-

February 6, 1999

Chicago Bulls @ Utah Jazz 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johnnysama said:

Personal opinion time, the NBA should have made it color at home from the get-go, like the NHL since 2003 and before 1970.

Nah, colored uniforms blended into the court too much, especially with older TVs. It’s better now but still not ideal

• Like 2

After winning the 2016 chip in the infamous black alternates, Cleveland wore those jerseys for a handful of home games, including the home opener against the Knicks:

spacer.png

…and interestingly, the year before, against Houston on March 29:

spacer.png
(there was another pic from the same date that showed Kyrie in front of the Cavs thin-screen-rim-things that circle the inside arena.

• 2 months later...