MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

You know, I see a ton of grey White Sox jerseys around, so it's not as if they all sell poorly. The Mariners' identity problems run deeper than having a grey jersey.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, hormone said:

I’m wondering if mlb for merchandise purposes doesn’t actually mind teams like the rays or mariners dropping gray because I’d have to think the gray jersey is the least purchased. I’d think the general fan would grab the home uniform to wear to the park or the colored uniform. Also using the rays and mariners example, this will allow for 3 hats to be purchased (standard cap, Sunday throwbacks, new city connect).

So here's the million-dollar question, for the teams that don't have more than one alt (and I honestly don't keep up with who has what, so I don't know): say some team, in this case hypothetically the Mariners—and let's pretend they only have the navy blue alt, now away—goes to play, say, the Twins, who choose to play in their navy blue alts. What they would the Mariners (or whatever team) do if they don't have another alt? Play in their City Connect? (See what I'm getting at?)

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I guess this means the old wordmark will still be above the scoreboard? If they were going to the trouble to renovate the scoreboard, I don't understand why they wouldn't have just slapped the new wordmark on there, too.

Interesting. I definitely would have dropped the cream fauxback first, but this isn't the worst move. I'd rather have seen other teams drop their gray jerseys before the Mariners, since silver is actually a team color for them, but I can see why they did it. Hopefully teal gets more games as a road alternate now.

A lot of people online seem to be criticizing the 4-jersey + City Connect limit, but I applaud the move in general. No team really needs any more than that.

I agree; I think 3 really is a good number to cap it at—a home, away, and an alt at baseline. Some teams due to history or something unique about their locale may have another alt in their rotation, and I'm cool with that, too. But I think a lot of people are criticizing the 4+1 because they/we see it for what it is: Nike's baked-in way to promote their own stuff. 

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

31 minutes ago, tBBP said:

So here's the million-dollar question, for the teams that don't have more than one alt (and I honestly don't keep up with who has what, so I don't know): say some team, in this case hypothetically the Mariners—and let's pretend they only have the navy blue alt, now away—goes to play, say, the Twins, who choose to play in their navy blue alts. What they would the Mariners (or whatever team) do if they don't have another alt? Play in their City Connect? (See what I'm getting at?)

The article said that if the Mariners play on the road against another team that decides to wear their navy alt, that they would wear teal. 

Presumably, any team that drops their gray jersey would have another color to wear in the case of clashes. At the very least, the home team can always wear white.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

Love it, love it, LOVE IT! Glad they're staying. Now if only they were on the Jersey sleeves.

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

Agreed. But let's not pretend like this has stopped teams before.

The example I always go back to is Angels @ Twins, April 15 2016. Both teams wore their alternate Red Jerseys, AND it was Jackie Robinson day so everyone was wearing #42. Also, I was at that game on that Friday Night, and trust me, it was hard to follow along at times.

spacer.png

https://www.mlb.com/video/recap-laa-4-min-5-c593234383

• Like 1

da0Lbhs.png

4 hours ago, bowld said:

Maybe just me, but I've always purchased road Grey's over home whites. Terrible move Seattle

The gray Phillies jersey is my goto jersey to wear. Always have liked it more than their pinstripes.

Speaking of which, I'm gonna guess the Phillies red jersey goes into hibernation again?

7 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

I actually really don't mind if some teams ditched their greys, but Seattle had some nice greys so I'm bummed

The Cubs need to redo their away jerseys IMO, I've never really liked the current ones. I know the Cubs have not had a perfect batting record when it comes to the away jerseys, but hopefully Nike can do something good within the next few years.

• Like 4

rAUPGPZ.png

10 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Terrible move. Definitely should've gotten rid of the cream set. But if they are gonna do this, I wish they’d bring back this:

1999-2000 Road Alt

Was just gonna say that.  Their fauxback is awful.  I think 4 + 1 is still too much, but in this case, the cream should have gone.

I don't even know which spring jersey they're talking about so no loss there.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, GrayJ12 said:

The Cubs need to redo their away jerseys IMO, I've never really liked the current ones. I know the Cubs have not had a perfect batting record when it comes to the away jerseys, but hopefully Nike can do something good within the next few years.

An Overview Of Cubs Road Uniforms 1958-2015 - Bleed Cubbie Blue

They got close with these throwbacks. I'd go no piping like the Cardinals, though. Thin blue and red together look red or purple, and predominant blue should be what we're after with the Cubs.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, the admiral said:

They got close with these throwbacks. I'd go no piping like the Cardinals, though. Thin blue and red together look red or purple, and predominant blue should be what we're after with the Cubs.

I'm not a Cubs historian, but how would people feel if they were MLB's version of the NY Giants - blue caps, but a road jersey that featured red?  Or would that by flying a little too close to Cardinals territory?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They've been doing that for about 25 years now and I've never liked it for precisely that reason: Cubs blue, Cardinals red. And besides, I hate the New York Giants' color split.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

I wonder if they could thicken up the stripes akin to the 80's blue away.  Keep the slightest bit of red on the away gray and it would read better from a distance without bleeding.  Similar aspects have been bleeding in a bit.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

One tweak I'd make to those throwbacks: front numbers. Maybe the only thing I've always liked about the Cubs' current road set is the contrasting wordmark and TV numbers. Also, the red billed cap needs to make a comeback:

Cubs-2023-Road-Concept.png

And here's a trim-less version as you suggested:

Cubs-2023-Road-Concept-no-piping.png

It's a bit surprising the Cubs' current road set and alt have gone unchanged for as long as they have. I wonder if the team finally winning it all in 2016 postponed any plans for a uniform overhaul they may have had. I remember reading stories pre-2016 about the Cubs holding focus groups to evaluate new uniforms and logos. 

• Like 4

I think a Chicago script - sorta like the late-80s White Sox and early-80s Bulls - would look really good, whether solid blue or blue with a red stroke.  Front number optional.

With all its curvy letters, Chicago is a name that looks flat-out beautiful in a script.  Someone should use it.