MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, adsarebad said:

Colorado took what should have been Seattle's City Connect uniforms!   😔

That green with some silver and navy...... oh yeah 🥰

And Seattle would  probably also have omitted the horrible yellow license plate on the sleeve.

-

Rockies colors: Silver and Purple....  so here is your Connect jersey, white and green....😔 

but don't worry, for some reason the Nike logo is purple!

spacer.png

Colorado license plate history – South Platte SentinelAmazon.com: Colorado License Plate Green numbers on White Mountain :  Automotive

• Like 12

I absolutely hated these originally.  But more and more hearing the reception...  Even the ones I think are objectively terrible are absolutely beloved by the fans of those teams.  So... it's hard to hate them when they're succeeding so much at that.  When I say, "That sucks" and the people say "This isn't your team and this isn't for you, so go away."

That being said, I absolutely don't want it for my team.   Would love doing a copy of what happened with Turn Ahead the Clock and they could just go "Hey, yo, this is our culture."

Also, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Boston seem to all fail hard either way.  Boston's is beloved, but it feels way too narrow in what it's going for.  It's literally based on one singular day and draws from that and that only.  Fortunately, since the win streak they went on with them they seem to have relegated them to a few days here and there every couple months and marathon weekend.  Then again, my team plays in a division with only one team doing them, and it's one of the ones I don't like, so it may be a function of them being a far-off mythical thing.  Also, it's one alt and I would not want it to go beyond where it is, but I can see the fear of this being a slippery slope.

But besides those three teams, everything seems to either fit as a throwback alt (Atlanta, Miami), fit as a regular alt (Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago A.L., Milwaukee), express local culture in a way the fans seem to love (Colorado, Houston, San Diego, Texas, Washington), or just be inoffensive (Chicago N.L., Kansas City).

• Like 5
  • Love 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I absolutely hated these originally.  But more and more hearing the reception...  Even the ones I think are objectively terrible are absolutely beloved by the fans of those teams.  So... it's hard to hate them when they're succeeding so much at that.  When I say, "That sucks" and the people say "This isn't your team and this isn't for you, so go away."

That being said, I absolutely don't want it for my team.   Would love doing a copy of what happened with Turn Ahead the Clock and they could just go "Hey, yo, this is our culture."

Also, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Boston seem to all fail hard either way.  Boston's is beloved, but it feels way too narrow in what it's going for.  It's literally based on one singular day and draws from that and that only.  Fortunately, since the win streak they went on with them they seem to have relegated them to a few days here and there every couple months and marathon weekend.  Then again, my team plays in a division with only one team doing them, and it's one of the ones I don't like, so it may be a function of them being a far-off mythical thing.  Also, it's one alt and I would not want it to go beyond where it is, but I can see the fear of this being a slippery slope.

But besides those three teams, everything seems to either fit as a throwback alt (Atlanta, Miami), fit as a regular alt (Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago A.L., Milwaukee), express local culture in a way the fans seem to love (Colorado, Houston, San Diego, Texas, Washington), or just be inoffensive (Chicago N.L., Kansas City).

Absolutely agree.

Maybe I'd quibble about your Boston discussion.  You aren't wrong. I think it makes sense to focus on a single source of inspiration on it, because it really says Boston and it doesn't muddy the waters by doing too much. 

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

^And we’ll get to see what the hat looks like as well. A blue crown seems inevitable, but I’d love to see a yellow brim:

spacer.png

Here’s a couple other possibilities:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I’m expecting the black bill and blue crown, but the yellow bill really ties it all together. Any chance we could please see these mocked up with tridents on the bill, similar to the collar? 

• Like 1

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Frylock said:

I’m expecting the black bill and blue crown, but the yellow bill really ties it all together. Any chance we could please see these mocked up with tridents on the bill, similar to the collar? 

Here’s a version with crossed tridents on the bill and a standalone M on the front:

spacer.png

Not my favorite, but I could see them doing something like this. 

• Like 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I apologize if this has already been covered.  Chalk this up to something completely annoying:

The White Sox, as of yet, do not have a sleeve sponsorship.  For years on their road grey jerseys and their alternate black jerseys, the diamond-sock logo has been on the right sleeve of the jersey (as you're looking at it), or on the players' left sleeve.  (Sidebar- about 12 years ago, they replaced the diamond sock on the road greys with the old English SOX logo).

So, just noticed that on the alternate blacks that they've moved the sleeve logo diamond sock to the left sleeve of the jersey (right sleeve for the player) if they bat right handed so that the other sleeve is more visible to the CF camera when they're batting.  This is obviously setting the jerseys up for eventual sponsor logo.  

For someone who's watched thousands of games, the change is glaring.  

1 minute ago, Whitesox572 said:

I apologize if this has already been covered.  Chalk this up to something completely annoying:

The White Sox, as of yet, do not have a sleeve sponsorship.  For years on their road grey jerseys and their alternate black jerseys, the diamond-sock logo has been on the right sleeve of the jersey (as you're looking at it), or on the players' left sleeve.  (Sidebar- about 12 years ago, they replaced the diamond sock on the road greys with the old English SOX logo).

So, just noticed that on the alternate blacks that they've moved the sleeve logo diamond sock to the left sleeve of the jersey (right sleeve for the player) if they bat right handed so that the other sleeve is more visible to the CF camera when they're batting.  This is obviously setting the jerseys up for eventual sponsor logo.  

For someone who's watched thousands of games, the change is glaring.  

It’s the same for most every other team, with or without sponsor. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Here’s a version with crossed tridents on the bill and a standalone M on the front:

spacer.png

Not my favorite, but I could see them doing something like this. 

Hey, thank you for taking the time to make that for me/us! I don’t know if I love it or hate it, but it seems like the sort of gimmick we’d see with the City Connect series. In a way, it kind of reminds me of a Civil War-era Cavalry hat the way the tridents cross over. 

• Like 2

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

More leaks of the Mariners (in a woman’s cut). I’m really liking this and think it has the potential to be one of the better City Connects.

What’s the significance of the “My Oh My?”

spacer.png

spacer.png

One thing that I think could be improved is using navy between the yellow stripes. It would give it a bit more pop. Also, it would match the socks that leaked. In fact, it’s surprising that the stripe style is different.

spacer.png

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

What’s the significance of the “My Oh My?”

Catchphrase of the voice of the team from inception to 2010 Dave Niehaus. 

Their equivalent to "Hey, hey/Holy cow!/How about that?/It's time for Dodger baseball/You can put it on the board yes!"

EDIT: Curses.  Ninja'd.  This is what happens when you spend time looking for a good clip. 😂

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 4/24/2023 at 1:15 PM, McCall said:

Colorado license plate history – South Platte SentinelAmazon.com: Colorado License Plate Green numbers on White Mountain :  Automotive

yes, but a yellow blob on a license plate, does not it mean it looks good on a MLB jersey!!

And on this plate the yellow sticker is small, on the jersey it's huge.

It's the same thing as the ads we all hate , both those ads and this yellow patch stick out like a sore thumb! 

3 hours ago, BMoreBlackBirds said:

Orioles - I've tried searching, and can't find anything.  Has anyone heard what happened to the orange jerseys?  It's been a Saturday jersey since around 2011 and hasn't made an appearance yet this season.

The Orioles have worn the orange jerseys once this year. It's a Saturday only jersey. The only real outlier on the schedule is last Saturday, when they didn't wear them at home. Otherwise, it's been a fairly standard run (I think Boston asks that the Orioles not wear orange when the Red Sox wear red, and 04-15 was JRD).

04-01-23: Orioles in black / Boston in red (R)

04-08-23: Orioles in orange / New York in gray (H)

04-15-13: Orioles in gray / Chicago in white (R) Jackie Robinson Day

04-22-13: Orioles in white / Detroit in gray (H)

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 9:39 PM, coco1997 said:

I'm going to assume (based on the neck tag) that this is a retail jersey. Placket seems very narrow and fabric doesn't appear to be flex base.

5 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

yellow blob on a license plate, does not it mean it looks good on a MLB jersey!!

And on this plate the yellow sticker is small, on the jersey it's huge.

And exactly the same thing as the ads, they now stick out like sore thumbs! 

I also hate the yellow patch, but it has nothing to do with the license plate. It was inspired by a Double Black Diamond ski warning sign. My big problem with the Rockies city connect is that horrendous hat logo. They described it as a tourist sticker, which is literally the opposite of connecting with the local community. spacer.png

• Like 1

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

31 minutes ago, JTernup said:

I also hate the yellow patch, but it has nothing to do with the license plate. It was inspired by a Double Black Diamond ski warning sign. My big problem with the Rockies city connect is that horrendous hat logo. They described it as a tourist sticker, which is literally the opposite of connecting with the local community. spacer.png

Experts only.... hey, that's us here on the forum! 😁 😅

• Like 1
  • LOL 1