MLS kits 2023

gosioux76

Here’s my stab at this week’s matchups, with a few teams having already confirmed their kit choices.

Chicago (navy/navy/red) vs. St. Louis (all-gray)

*Atlanta (stripes/black/red) vs. *Charlotte (blue/white/blue)

Columbus (all-yellow or y/b/y) vs. Orlando (all-purple)

DC (all-black) vs. Nashville (all-yellow)

*Miami (all-pink) vs. *New England (all-navy)

Montreal (all-gray) vs. Toronto (gray/red/gray)

NYRB (all-red) vs. NYCFC (all-city blue)

Austin (green/black/black) vs. Dallas (all-white)

Houston (all-orange) vs. *Seattle (green/blue/green)

SKC (all-sporting blue) vs. Minnesota (all-black)

Colorado (burgundy/light blue/burgundy) vs. Philly (tan/light blue/tan)

*RSL (red/navy/red) vs. *LAFC (all-smog green)

Portland (all-green) vs. Vancouver (all-white or w/b/w)

LAG (all-white) vs. San Jose (all-black)

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Delayed CF Montréal primary kit spotted for sale ahead of official launch -- pics confirm earlier leaks:

I don’t mind it still. Wish that the stripes were a bit darker, but it’s still significantly better than the black kits last year.

12 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

Also with Messi joining Miami, any odds that they do tonal pink stripes ala Argentina for a home kit next year 🤣

It'll be a really, really, really light pink with sky blue stripes. Hahahahahaha!!!!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Delayed CF Montréal primary kit spotted for sale ahead of official launch -- pics confirm earlier leaks:

CF Montreal v Vancouver Whitecaps

They should have worn it last night instead of this combo. 

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1
  • Dislike 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Montreal has now (finally) officially revealed the new kit:

spacer.png

Black shorts and black-topped blue socks. I actually like it quite a bit, though I do still wish the stripes were darker. Sure seems like they could’ve revealed it earlier this week and worn it last night in Vancouver instead of going gray vs. white.

• Like 5

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Maybe Montreal should have gone with white numbers, letters and stripes instead of gray/silver. I think it would have visually popped more against the blue and black.

CF Montréal

• Like 3

Hotter Than July > Thriller

21 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Maybe Montreal should have gone with white numbers, letters and stripes instead of gray/silver. I think it would have visually popped more against the blue and black.

That would have made the most sense so, in a weird way that only makes sense with this club, it makes sense that they didn't do that.

• LOL 1

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

5 hours ago, Jer15 said:

That would have made the most sense so, in a weird way that only makes sense with this club, it makes sense that they didn't do that.

Since the CF rebrand, and even with the emergency re-rebrand, they've been very insistent about silver (not white!) as the trim color. I guess it at least separates their look from San Jose a little bit. But it mostly just reads as the common annoying try-hard effort to give yourself a trademark "thing".

• Like 1

Per this Tweet by Doug Roberson of the AJC, Atlanta United will be getting 3rd kits in August: 

Atlanta United has put up advertising / street art in town indicating it will be in collaboration with AIE (Atlanta Influences Everything) that suggests the direction the 3rd kits will go: 

For reference, the colors appear to be influenced by Outkast's ATLiens album cover. 

Outkast-atliens.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ATLJ said:

Per this Tweet by Doug Roberson of the AJC, Atlanta United will be getting 3rd kits in August: 

Atlanta United has put up advertising / street art in town indicating it will be in collaboration with AIE (Atlanta Influences Everything) that suggests the direction the 3rd kits will go: 

For reference, the colors appear to be influenced by Outkast's ATLiens album cover. 

Outkast-atliens.jpg

So is this a part of that whole 100,000 units of jerseys sold or is it because Atlanta is by far and away one of the more popular MLS teams? Because it’s mind boggling to me that Portland, LAFC, Austin and other teams aren’t getting 3rd kits seeing how successful they are/the number of jerseys sold to qualify for this.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

So is this a part of that whole 100,000 units of jerseys sold or is it because Atlanta is by far and away one of the more popular MLS teams? Because it’s mind boggling to me that Portland, LAFC, Austin and other teams aren’t getting 3rd kits seeing how successful they are/the number of jerseys sold to qualify for this.

Is it really mind boggling, though? Austin’s stadium seats ~21k, LAFC 22k, and Portland 25k. Atlanta in its small configuration seats 42.5k and regularly hosts several full capacity games of 65-70k. That’s a lot more people coming through the gates who can buy more shirts.

25 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

Have we ever gotten or seen any confirmation of the 100,000 kit number?  I believe all we have on that is a quote from Merritt Paulson, so that hurdle should probably be taken with a grain of salt. We also don't know if that is over a certain time period, does it count home and aways, etc.   I assume at some basic level that Adidas wants to see a team's ability to sell a decent number of kits consistently over a consitent amount of time before investing in a 3rd run. 

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams get 3rd kits in the future. As to which teams, I don't know, I'm not sure how many kits teams like LAFC sell. Atlanta is a large metro and living here, you see a ton of Atlanta United gear in the city and suburbs.

4 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Is it really mind boggling, though? Austin’s stadium seats ~21k, LAFC 22k, and Portland 25k. Atlanta in its small configuration seats 42.5k and regularly hosts several full capacity games of 65-70k. That’s a lot more people coming through the gates who can buy more shirts.

1 minute ago, ATLJ said:

Have we ever gotten or seen any confirmation of the 100,000 kit number?  I believe all we have on that is a quote from Merritt Paulson, so that hurdle should probably be taken with a grain of salt. We also don't know if that is over a certain time period, does it count home and aways, etc.   I assume at some basic level that Adidas wants to see a team's ability to sell a decent number of kits consistently over a consistent amount of time before investing in a 3rd run. 

Seattle matches those numbers as well, but I think that most teams can probably hit the 100,000 number of jersey sales. I genuinely think adidas wants to do the bare minimum amd MLS doesn't care enough to argue over it. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Seattle matches those numbers as well, but I think that most teams can probably hit the 100,000 number of jersey sales. I genuinely think adidas wants to do the bare minimum amd MLS doesn't care enough to argue over it. 

I'm sure Seattle and some other teams sell over 100,000 per year, but I highly doubt half of MLS teams or even a 3rd are hitting that number annually. When the Athletic did an article on kits in 2020 and quoted people with knowledge, they mentioned many of the teams only sell 5,000 - 10,000 kits in a two-year cycle. 

I just think it’s weird that quote came out what 2, 3 years ago and no other team has pushed for a third kit. Some teams would benefit greatly from it (like Seattle & Portland) but i could see many teams getting them. So is it just they need to ask Adidas?

On 2023-06-12 at 2:24 PM, Jer15 said:

Guess they were trying to make an impact by not making an impact.

• LOL 1

MLS and Adidas have launched a collaboration with Marvel. The first of three parts includes a match ball and warmup gear for the MLS All Star Game on July 19:

ball.jpg

warmups.jpg

There will also be Captain America-themed warmup jerseys for Independence Day and Avengers-themed warmup jerseys for Kick Childhood Cancer month in September. More details on the mothership.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Facepalm 1