NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

9 minutes ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

Has it been mentioned that the Panther is facing backwards here? It's not like that on the current jersey.

That’s the left sleeve you’re looking at, from behind. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

D1RTGM2.png

I made a fast and dirty version. I think this looks pretty good personally. All the inner most stripes are blue and the outer stripes are either black or silver depending on the backdrop.

I prefer the contrast collar, for sure.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

Has it been mentioned that the Panther is facing backwards here? It's not like that on the current jersey.

36 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

What do you mean? The Nike swoosh always faces towards the front of the jersey and so is the Panthers logo. That’s the same as the current jersey.

You can also see the players facemask blurred in the background, meaning this is the players back left shoulder.

20 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

The Buckeyes could easily fit a contrasting collar with the new template, even accounting for the shoulder numbers.

Ohio State doesn't need the contrasting collar, they've never had one. I would like to see a wider set of TV numbers on the uniforms though. 

Ohio State face of the position: What running back do you think of?

• Applause 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Ohio State doesn't need the contrasting collar, they've never had one. I would like to see a wider set of TV numbers on the uniforms though. 

Ohio State face of the position: What running back do you think of?

I wasn’t suggesting they add one. My comment was in response to the other poster suggesting there wasn’t enough room to add a contrasting collar on the new template if shoulder numbers were present. He later clarified that they probably don’t have enough room to do all design features currently present (contrasting collar, numbers, stripes, swoosh, and logo), which I agree with.

Mike Florio posited a great question in an article today on his Pro Football Talk website:

"Will new owner rebrand the Commanders?"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/08/will-new-owner-rebrand-the-commanders/?unapproved=8347931&moderation-hash=cb87ba6894e07a77037a8647cf27821b#comment-8347931

Since we're waiting on Arizona Cardinals news and we know we'll see the minor update to the Panthers on draft night in 19 days, I thought it would fun to drum up some conversation on the following "what if" scenarios:

A).  What if the new owner(s) of the Washington Commanders decide to REBRAND the team?  

1.  What would the new primary name of the team be?  

- Washington
- DC

- Virginia (where team is HQ'd and likely to build a new stadium)

- Other

2.  What would the new primary nickname & logo be?

3.  What would the new team colors be?

B).  What if the new owner(s) of the Washington Commanders decide to RELOCATE the team?  

1.  What city or cities would most likely qualify for a new team?  What city/state name would you choose for them?

- St. Louis
- San Diego

- Other (Orlando, San Antonio, Austin, Salt Lake City, Portland, Columbus, Memphis, Oakland, Birmingham, Sacramento, Hawaii or ?)

2.  What would the new primary nickname & logo be?

3.  What would the new team colors be?

The topic itself is a fun one to ponder, given that the franchise will be sold and their lease at FedEx Field expires in 2026, which would just happen to be the 5th year in the current uniform design (a relocated team could rebrand before the 5-year window). 

The Commanders identity has been a flop and the uniforms are abysmal.  This would allow the new owners and/or the league to make a correction and capitalize on the potential of a new stadium, maybe in a new city. 

From an investment perspective, if you bought the Washington Commanders for $7 billion and had the option of keeping that investment as the Washington Commanders, rebranding the team but keeping it in Virginia/MD, or moving to a new city with an entirely new identity in an effort to maximize your investment, what would you do?

Washington intends to build the smallest stadium in the NFL, at 55,000 capacity.  Do you try to correct, or move it to a place like St. Louis, which is getting 35,000 fans to show up for an XFL game? 

Or San Antonio, which is the 7th largest city by population in the country with 1,579,504 residents? 

Or Orlando, who is bigger than Cincy, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Buffalo, and Glendale (AZ),  is one of the fastest growing regions in the country, has an NFL-sized stadium in the Citrus Bowl/Camping World Stadium, and was the largest travel & tourism destination in the country in 2022?

Sound off.  Might not be the right thread for it but maybe will give us a break on the Cardinals/Panthers/White Broncos Helmet for a few days until we get some real news.

• Like 3

I say just give them the Washington Football Team identity again and the old uniforms and call it a day. There was nothing wrong with that in my mind and the change away from it seemed short sighted.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Meh 1
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 1

Catching up a bit on all this news:

Cardinals

• It’s wild that this seems to finally actually be happening.
  • The rumors of a more maroon and orange color scheme sound incredibly intriguing, I honestly wouldn’t be upset if they go for it.
  • It does make me wonder why they would release the draft cap with the current (possibly outgoing) scheme though: are they manufacturing some with the red & yellow, & then more caps with maroon & orange after the rebrand is unveiled? Or, will they just send fans who ordered one already the maroon one once it’s released? I guess we’ll see what happens.
  • The concept above is pretty nice, too, I think it shows that at minimum Arizona could afford to add prominence to some sort of secondary color, be it gold, blue, copper, desert gray, whatever.

Panthers

• It’s a bit disappointing that they aren’t going for a full redesign, to be honest. However, I do think they could have afforded to just get a custom number font & call it a day. Dropping silver would be an added bonus.
  • It seems like they are doing neither of those though, and just changing the blue. I’ll wait to see a better comparison, but if the rumors are any indication, I honestly think Nike’s blue looks better than Carolina’s “Process Blue.” It’s brighter and pops off of the black better. This change looks like it may be a downgrade. 
  • I was a proponent of them dropping the contrasting collar, but after seeing the mockup, I’m not so sure anymore. I don’t think they’ll end up doing it though.

35 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Panthers

• It seems like they are doing neither of those though, and just changing the blue. I’ll wait to see a better comparison, but if the rumors are any indication, I honestly think Nike’s blue looks better than Carolina’s “Process Blue.” It’s brighter and pops off of the black better. This change looks like it may be a downgrade. 

I agree on this part.  The current Nike blue that the Panthers have been using is bright & vibrant and I loved it.  I think the new shade will result in a darker, duller overall appearance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TGroce said:

Stumbled upon this design on Twitter, I like a lot of what's happening here

The only issue I have with these types of concepts—and I see them all the time—is that by incorporating so much Arizona flag into the uniform, it may as well become a uniform for Arizona State or a team called the Arizonans. Now, if (when?) Nike tries to impose a "City" uniform on the NFL—and I wouldn't be the slightest bit shocked if they're working on roping the NFL into that in their back lab right now—then such flag-inspired design could really take off. As is, it doesn't say "Cardinals" as much as it says "Arizona". (And yes I see the birdhead logo on the helmet; but that's it.) 

Having said that...dude that did those may very well be onto something with that triple/gradient stripe designe he used for the pants. Oh, and he used the blue I've been wanting the Cardinals to reemploy for the longest time. 

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

The Football Team Stockholm Syndrome is weird.

The only that was awful about the WFT identity (other than the generic name) was the stripeless helmet with the numbers. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, tBBP said:

The only issue I have with these types of concepts—and I see them all the time—is that by incorporating so much Arizona flag into the uniform, it may as well become a uniform for Arizona State or a team called the Arizonans. Now, if (when?) Nike tries to impose a "City" uniform on the NFL—and I wouldn't be the slightest bit shocked if they're working on roping the NFL into that in their back lab right now—then such flag-inspired design could really take off. As is, it doesn't say "Cardinals" as much as it says "Arizona". (And yes I see the birdhead logo on the helmet; but that's it.) 

Having said that...dude that did those may very well be onto something with that triple/gradient stripe designe he used for the pants. Oh, and he used the blue I've been wanting the Cardinals to reemploy for the longest time. 

The Cowboys uniform has nothing that says “Cowboys”. The star is for Texas. With the Arizona flag on the unis in late 80s/00s, a new design with the flag is not totally off base. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The only that was awful about the WFT identity (other than the generic name) was the stripeless helmet with the numbers. 

Had they used the R-skins uniform and replaced the logo on the helmet with the White/Athletic Gold version of the current "W", they probably would've been fine.

• Like 5