NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

11 minutes ago, dont care said:

Because cars are the first things you think of when you think of Houston, or Texas. Much less stupid looking low riders with stupid looking knee cappers for rims. You don’t see jacksonville making designs after the stupid squatted truck fad that is a thing here. Because it’s just that a fad, and a stupid one that only fits a small portion of the local population and has no relevancy outside of it.

Thank you.  Being here in KC this weekend, the people are all extremely nice, which is what I expected out of the midwest, but I didn't realize smoking weed was legal here, and it's so ungodly obnoxious smelling everywhere.  I suppose that's part of the urban culture, too, but like custom low riders, I don't think that's something you brand a professional sports team after.  Be better, Houston.

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

The whole “Texans using red a lot so that must mean…” angle could just be that red pops and gets people’s attention more than dark blue.

Perhaps, but the helmet is the most important part of a team’s brand. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Because cars are the first things you think of when you think of Houston, or Texas. Much less stupid looking low riders with stupid looking knee cappers for rims. You don’t see jacksonville making designs after the stupid squatted truck fad that is a thing here. Because it’s just that a fad, and a stupid one that only fits a small portion of the local population and has no relevancy outside of it.

You know, you don’t HAVE to be an :censored:. 

• Applause 4
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The whole “Texans using red a lot so that must mean…” angle could just be that red pops and gets people’s attention more than dark blue.

If that’s their thinking, then that would still seem to be a good enough reason to change the uniforms to go in that direction, as well.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dont care said:

Way to be obnoxious about it. I don't think Houston's urban culture is a fad, it's been around for about 20+ years much like Memphis and Atlanta. If you don't like it then great but to act like it doesn't matter is stupid. What do you think team branding is suppose to be? If you can't pull inspiration from the people you play in front of then what is the point?

If the team wants to embrace something other than the outplayed space theme then I welcome it.

3 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Thank you.  Being here in KC this weekend, the people are all extremely nice, which is what I expected out of the midwest, but I didn't realize smoking weed was legal here, and it's so ungodly obnoxious smelling everywhere.  I suppose that's part of the urban culture, too, but like custom low riders, I don't think that's something you brand a professional sports team after.  Be better, Houston.

You just reminded me that the Fresno Grizzlies have a Lowriders alternate uniform.

Fresno-Lowriders-Logo-copy1.png

Fresno-Lowriders-Uniform.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 1

bSLCtu2.png

8 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Way to be obnoxious about it. I don't think Houston's urban culture is a fad, it's been around for about 20+ years much like Memphis and Atlanta. If you don't like it then great but to act like it doesn't matter is stupid. What do you think team branding is suppose to be? If you can't pull inspiration from the people you play in front of then what is the point?

If the team wants to embrace something other than the outplayed space theme then I welcome it.

You just reminded me that the Fresno Grizzlies have a Lowriders alternate uniform.

Fresno-Lowriders-Logo-copy1.png

Fresno-Lowriders-Uniform.jpg

About what percentage of Houstonians or Texans do you think would be accurately represented by lowriding urban culture?  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JustABallCoach said:

You know, you don’t HAVE to be an :censored:. 

I didn’t revert to personal attacks but somehow that makes me the :censored:. Sorry you like a fad that is anesthetically pleasing and provides no purpose, but others calling it stupid is an opinion that doesn’t deserve the name calling.

• Yawn 1

3 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

About what percentage of Houstonians or Texans do you think would be accurately represented by lowriding urban culture?  

The fact that they only showed the same 3 cars during the video tells me it’s not a large percentage.

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

The fact that they only showed the same 3 cars during the video tells me it’s not a large percentage.

Not only that, it's just not a respectful representation of any professional sports team, let alone an NFL team, and one named the Texans.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

NFL teams are too lowercase-c catholic for such a branding strategy. If you want the Rockets to pay tribute to the Geto Boys, that's one thing, if you must, but the NFL should be a common denominator, and how much more of a common denominator than "Texans" can you get?

• Like 9

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

Not only that, it's just not a respectful representation of any professional sports team, let alone an NFL team, and one named the Texans.

It’s obvious if you look at what has happened in the NFL, NBA, and MLB since Nike partnered up, all the major sports consider “branding” to be a pretty fluid thing these days.  If they can hit on something today and sell a lot of merchandise, they can always reel it back after a fairly short time, and sell even more with some return to basics ploy.  That’s the entire purpose of baseball’s City Connect nonsense, football’s alternates, and whatever the NBA calls their ugly uniforms.  It does absolutely nothing for me, but I’m an old guy with, frankly, much better taste than anyone under the age of 25 😜

Also, I don’t care how many jerseys my favorite teams sell.  I just want them to look good. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 3

Am I missing something or did this thread immediately turn into a giant whine fest because one poster mentioned the candy red paint on the Texans helmets reminding him (...or her...) of slabs in a positive light and since slabs apparently now equate to lowriders which now equates on a 1 to 1 basis to "rap culture" then the whole thing is bad and deserves immediate and overt derision?

The red could also remind one of the Houston Cougars or the Rockets shiny 00s jerseys or the Republican party (lol) but heaven forbid someone who is proudly 30 years out of touch with American culture misses a chance to complain about it and  ironically like the typical twitter enthusiast.

With that said, I personally prefer the red helmet only with the blue jersey otherwise its too much red for me but then again I'm not a Texans fan nor a Houston/Texas native so the aforementioned connections mean nothing to me. 😏

• Like 16
  • Huh? 2

2 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Respectful, really? It’s the direction the Texans are going and I gave the reason. You can think whatever you want but your idea of Texans is different than what we have down here in H-Town. 

• Like 1
  • Meh 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, JustABallCoach said:

Respectful, really? It’s the direction the Texans are going and I gave the reason. You can think whatever you want but your idea of Texans is different than what we have down here in H-Town. 

I'm glad you gave me permission to think whatever I want.  I think it's trash.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

54 minutes ago, Saturn said:

Am I missing something or did this thread immediately turn into a giant whine fest because one poster mentioned the candy red paint on the Texans helmets reminding him (...or her...) of slabs in a positive light and since slabs apparently now equate to lowriders which now equates on a 1 to 1 basis to "rap culture" then the whole thing is bad and deserves immediate and overt derision?

It wasn't immediate! We've been gradually keeping an eye on the Texans trying to pander to black people and the white people who larp as them.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
  • Dislike 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫