NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

The NFL needs to stand their ground. The rule is that teams can only wear alternates helmets with alternate jerseys. Shouldn't be any exceptions. Do we really want the Cardinals or Commanders wearing a black helmet with red jerseys, Bears orange helmets with navy jerseys, Browns wearing white helmets with brown jerseys, etc? If the Bengals are insistent on wearing white helmets, then either use the old white CR set or make a new alternate. 

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

I think the Panthers denote the black jersey/black pants paired with the black helmet as an alternate, so there seems to be precedence.

The issue is presumably the white uniform is demoted to alternate. Would that mean the orange jersey is promoted to away?

Or is this a situation where the Bengals want to use the regular white uniform as both away and alternate?

5 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The issue is presumably the white uniform is demoted to alternate. Would that mean the orange jersey is promoted to away?

Or is this a situation where the Bengals want to use the regular white uniform as both away and alternate?

The Carolina Panthers all-black is considered an "alternate uniform" despite using the home black jersey.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

The NFL needs to stand their ground. The rule is that teams can only wear alternates helmets with alternate jerseys. Shouldn't be any exceptions. Do we really want the Cardinals or Commanders wearing a black helmet with red jerseys, Bears orange helmets with navy jerseys, Browns wearing white helmets with brown jerseys, etc? If the Bengals are insistent on wearing white helmets, then either use the old white CR set or make a new alternate. 

Yes, because limiting those helmets to one set uniform is a bad idea. Denver would look better if they could go WBW/WOW/ or any other combo than WOO. 

UTSA football: 5 things to watch as preseason camp begins

This is a better look than this, any day of the week.

UTSA Roadrunners 2019 Season Preview - Schedule Breakdown - Underdog Dynasty

MoreForYouCleveland on Twitter: "#Browns alternate white helmets… what do  you guys think? https://t.co/m3MwxtYmAR" / Twitter

I'd prefer the orange lids, but for a change of pace vs Cincinnati, this wouldn't be a bad idea. The caveat being, they have to wear white pants as well. 

Preview: Louisville Cardinals Football vs. UCF Knights - Sports Illustrated Louisville  Cardinals News, Analysis and More

This is a better look than the all black uniform.

Arizona Cardinals reveal new uniforms in live video

The Top 10 Illinois Football uniforms of all-time, ranked - The Champaign  Room

I would prefer the BEars not use an orange helmet at all, but if it were similar to these, just with a darker blue, would it be that bad? 

9 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I think this is the case where they are choosing to use that white jersey in two roles, but wanting to keep the orange jersey as an option. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I dont think that the NFL really needs to work in absolutes like this. The Commanders shouldn't wear the black helmet with their regular home uniforms because it just wouldn't make sense (or look good). The Bengals needing two separate white jerseys just to use their color rush helmet is also silly and doesn't make sense since the regular white jersey would accomplish the task just as well as the color rush would. Each alt uniform designation should instead be determined on a case by case basis. I cant imagine that it'd be all that difficult. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

13 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Does this upset you?

About Fred – Biletnikoff Wines

This is a tired straw man argument. This was before the NFL came up with their uniform number rules. Seeing players in numbers that have been historically used for other positions for 40ish years looks wrong to me.

• Like 5
  • Yawn 2

2 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Yes, and it’s just a dated 90’s font.  Ravens have the same issue.  The uniform itself is fine, though not quite iconic, but updating the font would really make a dramatic difference.

Curious: what specifically about the Eagles' and Ravens' respective number fonts is/looks "dated" to you? (Anyone else can respond to this, too.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

35 minutes ago, dont care said:

This is a tired straw man argument. This was before the NFL came up with their uniform number rules. Seeing players in numbers that have been historically used for other positions for 40ish years looks wrong to me.

You must not be a college football fan.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Curious: what specifically about the Eagles' and Ravens' respective number fonts is/looks "dated" to you? (Anyone else can respond to this, too.)

Idk how else to describe it other than Microsoft Word default font numbers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

I doubt these teams would do these things given the three game limit and would probably just stick with their monochrome uniforms that they are already obsessed with.

56 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

You must not be a college football fan.

It is possible to like two different things that don't share the same aesthetic. I like the more limited number ranges allowed under the previous numbering system. I also realize that the NCAA and CFL don't share those systems.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

First, the fact that absolutely no one would choose those fonts if they were designing new uniforms today.

Secondly, you know how when you're scrolling down the fonts list in Microsoft Word or Adobe Photoshop, and you can't scroll past fonts like Cooper, Engravers MT, and Mistral fast enough?

Or when you're driving down the highway and you see that run down strip mall business sign using Comic Sans or some  poster or flyer that someone with no artistic ability made using Papyrus?  

That's how I feel when I see the Eagles or Ravens number fonts.

• Like 4

Forcing a team to wear a separate all-white uniform instead of the primary one with the white helmet seems like a totally arbitrary place to draw the line. Seems obvious to me that if the Bengals are allowed to have a white-out look, they shouldn't be forced to wear a completely different white uniform than the one they wear most games. 

I feel like the real solution to the whole alternate helmets/alternate uniforms thing is just to put a cap on the number of different combinations a team can wear in a season. Limit teams to like four or five different uniform sets from head to toe and you probably won't have any issues. The teams that want their alternate helmets can get them, and you won't have teams going crazy with the number of mix and match options they have. Teams have to designate primary dark and light combinations and all others can be worn a max of three games like now. 

• Like 6

The real problem with the Bengals is that they made their default white uniform the "white tiger" look. Now, I don't like the look no matter what, but they should've made the road uniform include every color, then have an all-white look as an alternate. A remnant of unfortunate timing as the Bengals redid their set right before alternate helmets became a forgone conclusion. I'm not sure if they had done it now they would've made the road uniform just black and white.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

the user formerly known as cdclt