NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

6 hours ago, timjameskohler said:

I think I figured out what gets people riled up about the Titans/Oilers discussion.

They threw it back to the very last set of Oilers uniforms. In 2009 they wore ‘61 (I think) uniforms for the AFL celebration, but this past Sunday they wore the very last set that they wore before they bucked off to Tennessee(Yes I know that they wore WAH as the Tennessee Oilers, but you get my drift). 

It evokes the memories of an empty Astrodome, the Bud Adams demands, the sadness of Houston fans. I don’t think the discussion would be as fraught if they threw back to the 60s again. It’s like “remember these uniforms? This is what you could have if you just gave Bud what he wanted.” People  outside of Tennessee probably aren’t thinking “this is paying homage to our history in Houston.” 

I simply can't get over the fact that they decided to wear this uniform against the Texans. Honestly, it's just a ridiculous troll job that you almost have to respect it.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ruttep said:

I simply can't get over the fact that they decided to wear this uniform against the Texans. Honestly, it's just a ridiculous troll job that you almost have to respect it.

If there was any way to get into the other team's heads with your choice of uniform, that is it. I doubt it actually affected anyone but it's an attempt. Maybe it would affect players from Houston, but even then most players now probably don't remember the Houston Oilers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

the current wings are better

Disagree there.  I grew up watching Seth Joyner, Jerome Brown, Reggie White, Eric Allen, Clyde Simmons, Andre Watters, Randall, Heath goddam Sherman, Keith Byers / Jackson, Jimmy freaking Giles, Arkansas Fred, and so on and so forth.  So those were the uniforms of my youth and I originally hated the switch to midnight green.  Not that they're perfect by any measure, but I think the 2003 update fixed all of the major issues, and I now find them superior, with one exception:  The helmet wings.

The current wings are too cartoony, and would look better either being solid silver inside the black, and going back to the angled style.  The white and silver combo inside the rounded wing outlined in black is just too much.

I'm fine with them going back to kelly green (though their older shade, not the oversaturated version they wore last week) but with a different look.  Simple... but different.  Minimal black, just silver, green, and white.  Something like the Chargers, but with silver and white numbers (or green and silver on the white jersey) and no lightning bolt (duh.)

This helmet is better than both the current and the 80s.  There's a second photo which is the same helmet (mini version) but the lighting is different so it looks like it would if they put those awesome wings on a midnight green helmet.

Silver-only wings on a midnight-green helmet would look great.  Either way, just get me the same deep green as before.

2010-philly-v2.png?1600396252  s-l1200.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Disagree there.  I grew up watching Seth Joyner, Jerome Brown, Reggie White, Eric Allen, Clyde Simmons, Andre Watters, Randall, Heath goddam Sherman, Keith Byers / Jackson, Jimmy freaking Giles, Arkansas Fred, and so on and so forth.  So those were the uniforms of my youth and I originally hated the switch to midnight green.  Not that they're perfect by any measure, but I think the 2003 update fixed all of the major issues, and I now find them superior, with one exception:  The helmet wings.

The current wings are too cartoony, and would look better either being solid silver inside the black, and going back to the angled style.  The white and silver combo inside the rounded wing outlined in black is just too much.

I'm fine with them going back to kelly green (though their older shade, not the oversaturated version they wore last week) but with a different look.  Simple... but different.  Minimal black, just silver, green, and white.  Something like the Chargers, but with silver and white numbers (or green and silver on the white jersey) and no lightning bolt (duh.)

This helmet is better than both the current and the 80s.  There's a second photo which is the same helmet (mini version) but the lighting is different so it looks like it would if they put those awesome wings on a midnight green helmet.

Silver-only wings on a midnight-green helmet would look great.  Either way, just get me the same deep green as before.

I always liked the outline on the wing if it's going to be that look.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

I think it also depends on the current uniforms as well.

I would argue, yes the Buccaneers current identity should be their primary look.

Yeah, I moreso meant that I'd be "fine" at minimum with any of the throwbacks being full-time. Some are better than the current look and some are worse. For what it's worth, I think the creamsicles are only worse than their currents because the logo drags it down so far. Same thing with New England.

Side note: It's crazy to me that while uniforms go up and down in quality so heavily, NFL logos have almost exclusively gotten better and better. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the Rams and the Buccaneers are the only two teams not using their all-time best logo as their current primary logo. 

6 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I agree that the jersey design and the helmet wing design are both better now than before. The real problem to me is they keep shoehorning black in there, and the midnight green is too dark to contrast properly. That, plus their insistence on wearing tacky plain white socks. 

I actually don't mind the black as accents on the green and white jerseys. Same as the Jets. I think a 2-color scheme works better than a 1-color scheme in most cases so I don't mind black being that color when used sparingly. I think both the Eagles and the Jets primaries would look worse without black. Where it goes off the rails is when they decided they needed to have black helmets, jerseys, pants, etc... Those are complete trash for both teams.

• Like 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

21 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

I am always for a modernization of an old look coming back, the Blue Jay's & Brewers being the best examples.

To me, this is the perfect solution to maximizing a franchise’s best and most defining look. The Bills are also examples of this design philosophy. 

• Like 5

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

9 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Yeah, I moreso meant that I'd be "fine" at minimum with any of the throwbacks being full-time. Some are better than the current look and some are worse. For what it's worth, I think the creamsicles are only worse than their currents because the logo drags it down so far. Same thing with New England.

Side note: It's crazy to me that while uniforms go up and down in quality so heavily, NFL logos have almost exclusively gotten better and better. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the Rams and the Buccaneers are the only two teams not using their all-time best logo as their current primary logo. 

I actually don't mind the black as accents on the green and white jerseys. Same as the Jets. I think a 2-color scheme works better than a 1-color scheme in most cases so I don't mind black being that color when used sparingly. I think both the Eagles and the Jets primaries would look worse without black. Where it goes off the rails is when they decided they needed to have black helmets, jerseys, pants, etc... Those are complete trash for both teams.

1. I don’t think the Aquafresh Miami Dolphins are currently using their best logo. Nor the Washington Commanders - I understand the dislike for the logo of the side-facing indigene, but their various logos involving feathers and/or spears (but no actual humans) would all be better than the current. I also think the Jets’ best logo was the 1978-97 script. 

2. The Jets’ shade of green is (gorgeous and) juuuuuust light enough that it can contrast properly with black. The Eagles’ shade, actually a dark teal, does not contrast well with black. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

I want to see the Eagles throw back to the white helmet uniform.

spacer.png

These are beautiful.

replace white with silver on the helmets and pants and we’re talking!

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, BBTV said:

What if they just change their unis to straight up Midnight Gree/Grey? Use white or black for an outline on the numbers and names and call it a day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chawls said:

To me, this is the perfect solution to maximizing a franchise’s best and most defining look. The Bills are also examples of this design philosophy. 

I agree in general, although I hate the Brewers' current brand. I never liked the ball in glove logo, and the navy and yellow is easily their worst color scheme in franchise history. Both the royal/yellow and navy/gold blow it out of the water. I loved the scheme and logo of their preivous set. The wordmark was too busy, but the brand just felt "brewers" in a way their current one doesn't. Instead of a modernization, it feels like they're trying to mash eras together which isn't the same thing at all.

And if they were going to mash eras together, I think they picked the wrong elements from every era. It should've been royal and gold, with the previous M logo and a simplified wordmark.

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

1. I don’t think the Aquafresh Miami Dolphins are currently using their best logo. Nor the Washington Commanders - I understand the dislike for the logo of the side-facing indigene, but their various logos involving feathers and/or spears (but no actual humans) would all be better than the current. I also think the Jets’ best logo was the 1978-97 script. 

2. The Jets’ shade of green is (gorgeous and) juuuuuust light enough that it can contrast properly with black. The Eagles’ shade, actually a dark teal, does not contrast well with black. 

1. I would prefer the Dolphins to have a helmet-wearing logo to what they have now. But I don't think any of the incarnations that they've used actually executed it well enough to be considered better than their current logo. The 90s one was too cartoony and all previous versions are completely outdated, over-designed relics. And I considered the Commanders to be separate from their previous brands, so their current logo would be their best as their only logo so far. I don't think the Jets have ever had a good logo. Maybe their first logo they used for one season? I don't think script logos work for NFL teams at all, and all of their logos have used them in one way or another. But anyways, I think containing it in the oval is still better than it just being a script on its own.

2. The Eagles shade may not contrast well with black, but I don't think it needs to. It still serves the purpose of making the look crisper while being subtle. I much prefer it to just dropping it and using midnight on its own. The only color that might replace it more effectively is silver.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

2 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

I agree in general, although I hate the Brewers' current brand. I never liked the ball in glove logo, and the navy and yellow is easily their worst color scheme in franchise history. Both the royal/yellow and navy/gold blow it out of the water. I loved the scheme and logo of their preivous set. The wordmark was too busy, but the brand just felt "brewers" in a way their current one doesn't. Instead of a modernization, it feels like they're trying to mash eras together which isn't the same thing at all.

1. I would prefer the Dolphins to have a helmet-wearing logo to what they have now. But I don't think any of the incarnations that they've used actually executed it well enough to be considered better than their current logo. The 90s one was too cartoony and all previous versions are completely outdated, over-designed relics. And I considered the Commanders to be separate from their previous brands, so their current logo would be their best as their only logo so far. I don't think the Jets have ever had a good logo. Maybe their first logo they used for one season? I don't think script logos work for NFL teams at all, and all of their logos have used them in one way or another. But anyways, I think containing it in the oval is still better than it just being a script on its own.

2. The Eagles shade may not contrast well with black, but I don't think it needs to. It still serves the purpose of making the look crisper while being subtle. I much prefer it to just dropping it and using midnight on its own. The only color that might replace it more effectively is silver.

Oh, I wouldn’t want the Eagles to be just teal-and-white. I want silver as the secondary, whether the primary is teal or kelly. 

On 11/2/2023 at 12:17 AM, throwuascenario said:

If we're counting Oilers/Titans, that's a downgrade. Also not sure how we're counting the Bears flipping primary and secondary in an effort to not be from Chicago, but that's a downgrade, too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 11/2/2023 at 12:17 AM, throwuascenario said:

Eh... Dolphins, Jets, Bengals. And the Comms, but that's due to extenuating circumstances. Ratio wise I think the league is about on par with MLB and the NHL when it comes to this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ruttep said:

The Patriots would benefit from any component of their uniform not being navy when wearing all navy

Let’s be honest…the Patriots would benefit from less navy in general. Blue should still be their primary color (they’re not the Redcoats), but they need better balance in their colors. Less blue, more red, more silver.