NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

7 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

Has it been explained why so many teams that fully paint their end zones are leaving a small strip just inside the goal line and out-of-bounds lines unpainted this year? Design trend? League request?

The Rams/Chargers started doing it a couple years ago when SoFi opened, but I’ve noticed a lot more fields with it that way this year.

The only possible explanation I could come up with was that the NFL wants a consistent high-contrast surface to make it easier for officials to rule whether players are inbounds on close plays. I figured it had to be for functional reasons because, aesthetically, it’s clearly worse than painting all the way to the boundary.

My thinking is that the strip is a buffer zone of sorts to prevent overspray onto the white endlines/boundary lines when painting and then also to prevent smudging the paint into the endlines/boundary lines when cleaning the paint off.

It appears to be used in the stadiums where the endzones need to be changed (SoFi, MetLife) and then some teams who are just doing single game designs.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

8 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Safe to assume Rice will get the cease and desist too?  Theirs does include navy and silver, but we all know what they were doing.

RiceOilersUniformsX.jpg

With the silver helmets they look more like the early-1970s Oilers. I’m not sure the Titans want to draw attention to that time period. Those teams were baaaaaaaad. 

As an UH alum, had to do double take when the uniform were announced.  I was shocked that these were able to take the field. But if more Houston teams want to wear that blue, go right ahead. Was ok when the Rockets did it. Always wanted the Dynamo to do it back when they had it as an active accent color (their sister team the Dash did it but still). Houston should have that color. 

But do in a way that is complementary to the brand. Like y'all, I am worried on what will be revealed by the Texans in April and after that, the current jerseys will officially be throwbacks. Depending on performance, maybe comparing the past and the future will be like comparing Bucco Bruce and the Red Jolly Roger, or the Royal, Kelly and Silver to the Beastquake and the Legion of Boom sets. 

But whatever the case, I hope it looks good and not too much of an Oilers' cosplay.

And please have Battle Red as the primary.  

On 10/28/2023 at 11:22 AM, the admiral said:

No better evidence of Chicago's weakness as a college football town than the Bears having to schlep all the way out to Missouri: The Director's Cut to find a marginally acceptable interim venue.

Trying to do a few games at Wrigley Field would have been fun, but that was when the Tribune owned the Cubs and wasn't keen on using Wrigley for anything but baseball, which actually may have been the right move, in retrospect. Another right move might have been building a combined Bears/Northwestern stadium in Evanston. Oh well.

Champaign is more Western Indiana than Missouri. Going from the Blue and Orange of Champaign to the Cream and Crimson of Bloomington isn't that much of a shift.

The real move in 2002 would've been to play in South Bend, which Chicago has always treated like their team. But the Bears and Fighting Illini have a connection because of Halas and Grange, plus I bet it would've opened up a political can of worms to play out of state.

37 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Champaign is more Western Indiana than Missouri. Going from the Blue and Orange of Champaign to the Cream and Crimson of Bloomington isn't that much of a shift.

The real move in 2002 would've been to play in South Bend, which Chicago has always treated like their team. But the Bears and Fighting Illini have a connection because of Halas and Grange, plus I bet it would've opened up a political can of worms to play out of state.

Illinois state officials would've been apoplectic over them playing in Indiana for a year.

• Like 2

NSFW LANGUAGE: I found a YouTube Short of some former NFL players talking about their interactions with their uniform inspector during pregame. If nothing else, it provides perspective of the players’ point-of-view that we’ve often speculated on. 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rs-RZLNQJX4

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

18 hours ago, Chawls said:

NSFW LANGUAGE: I found a YouTube Short of some former NFL players talking about their interactions with their uniform inspector during pregame. If nothing else, provides perspective of the players point of you that we’ve often speculated on. 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rs-RZLNQJX4

I recommend not watching that unless you want to lose 20-30 IQ points.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I get his point.

Hell we are seeing it with the Buffalo Sabres, in the late 2000s when they brought back the blue & yellow with the Buffalo & sabres, yes that is what they should always wear! But now they have the goathead throwback alts and you're hilariously seeing the nostalgia cycle for that.

Like for the Eagles, I think the Kelly Green's should always be an alt, but what I would like to see if them change the current uniforms as well to have the simpler numbers without the junky charcoal & black outline with a drop shadow.  And I still would like there to be a black alt option as well (Tho if they wanted to have Kelly green in that instead of midnight, it would be much better)

So I am always for a modernization of an old look coming back, the Blue Jay's & Brewers being the best examples.

• Like 1

Well I guess we now know Kyle Brandt’s views on relationships. “Hey toots, get out of the way, I’m playin’ my game.”

He just doesn’t think like us. “Hey those [fill in the blank]  throwbacks are a much better uniform than the over-designed nonsense they’re wearing now.” Just doesn’t occur to him. Look at how good the Titans could look as opposed to….whatever they’re wearing now? “Who cares? Leave the past in the past.”

• Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 5:26 PM, monkeypower said:

My thinking is that the strip is a buffer zone of sorts to prevent overspray onto the white endlines/boundary lines when painting and then also to prevent smudging the paint into the endlines/boundary lines when cleaning the paint off.

It appears to be used in the stadiums where the endzones need to be changed (SoFi, MetLife) and then some teams who are just doing single game designs.

According to J.Sprays its to keep the permanent white border from getting stained. 

iq5b7nF.png

I think I figured out what gets people riled up about the Titans/Oilers discussion.

They threw it back to the very last set of Oilers uniforms. In 2009 they wore ‘61 (I think) uniforms for the AFL celebration, but this past Sunday they wore the very last set that they wore before they bucked off to Tennessee(Yes I know that they wore WAH as the Tennessee Oilers, but you get my drift). 

It evokes the memories of an empty Astrodome, the Bud Adams demands, the sadness of Houston fans. I don’t think the discussion would be as fraught if they threw back to the 60s again. It’s like “remember these uniforms? This is what you could have if you just gave Bud what he wanted.” People  outside of Tennessee probably aren’t thinking “this is paying homage to our history in Houston.” 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/18/2023 at 10:14 AM, Sport said:

For my money those are the worst uniforms in NFL history. There isn't a single good decision anywhere in that steaming pile. 

I'd agree with this. I don't think the current Titans are far behind though. The Cardinals previous set, the Bills Losman set and the Commanders black alt are all honorable mentions.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

2 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

I get his point.

Hell we are seeing it with the Buffalo Sabres, in the late 2000s when they brought back the blue & yellow with the Buffalo & sabres, yes that is what they should always wear! But now they have the goathead throwback alts and you're hilariously seeing the nostalgia cycle for that.

Like for the Eagles, I think the Kelly Green's should always be an alt, but what I would like to see if them change the current uniforms as well to have the simpler numbers without the junky charcoal & black outline with a drop shadow.  And I still would like there to be a black alt option as well (Tho if they wanted to have Kelly green in that instead of midnight, it would be much better)

So I am always for a modernization of an old look coming back, the Blue Jay's & Brewers being the best examples.

I basically have the opposite view from him. I'd be fine seeing any of these throwbacks (except the Oilers) coming back full-time. But until then, I don't want to see them. Trying to use two brands simultaneously inherently waters down your primary brand. I want to see teams pick one brand/uniform and stick to it. I'd much rather see alts that are just recolors and stay within the same brand.

1 hour ago, timjameskohler said:

He just doesn’t think like us. “Hey those [fill in the blank]  throwbacks are a much better uniform than the over-designed nonsense they’re wearing now.” Just doesn’t occur to him. Look at how good the Titans could look as opposed to….whatever they’re wearing now? “Who cares? Leave the past in the past.”

The Titans previous look was much stronger than the Oilers look. Especially considering that all of their history occurred in it and none of their history occurred in the Oilers look. Yeah, practically anything would be better than their current primaries. But that says more about those than it does about the Oilers look or any other look. They should just go back to their original Titans set and leave them forever.

Another unpopular opinion: I much prefer the Eagles' midnight uniforms to the kellys. Yes, I am younger, so I never saw them play in the kellys. So to me, the midnight is just what the Eagles look like. But beyond that, the kellys are way too plain looking. Something about the block numbers, the horrible wing design, and the way too detailed sleeve logo just don't go together. I actually really like the number font and the sleeve logos on their current uniforms and the helmet design is 100x better. Maybe if they just recolored that one kelly, I'd prefer it.

• Like 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

1 hour ago, throwuascenario said:

I basically have the opposite view from him. I'd be fine seeing any of these throwbacks (except the Oilers) coming back full-time. But until then, I don't want to see them. Trying to use two brands simultaneously inherently waters down your primary brand. I want to see teams pick one brand/uniform and stick to it. I'd much rather see alts that are just recolors and stay within the same brand.

The Titans previous look was much stronger than the Oilers look. Especially considering that all of their history occurred in it and none of their history occurred in the Oilers look. Yeah, practically anything would be better than their current primaries. But that says more about those than it does about the Oilers look or any other look. They should just go back to their original Titans set and leave them forever.

Another unpopular opinion: I much prefer the Eagles' midnight uniforms to the kellys. Yes, I am younger, so I never saw them play in the kellys. So to me, the midnight is just what the Eagles look like. But beyond that, the kellys are way too plain looking. Something about the block numbers, the horrible wing design, and the way too detailed sleeve logo just don't go together. I actually really like the number font and the sleeve logos on their current uniforms and the helmet design is 100x better. Maybe if they just recolored that one kelly, I'd prefer it.

I think it also depends on the current uniforms as well.

I would argue, yes the Buccaneers current identity should be their primary look.

But again, I am the opposite with you on the Eagles.

It is about time they should be updating their uniforms, and yes the current wings are better and could have some current elements, but simplified numbers in their current font (Though they could alter the serifs a little).

And the Titans current's are complete garbage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I agree that the Randall Cunningham-era uniforms were too plain…as were the early-sixties look and the late-sixties/early-seventies look where they dropped silver and changed their helmets between home and road. By contrast, their Ron Jaworski-era uniforms had too many sleeve stripes. 

I agree that the jersey design and the helmet wing design are both better now than before. The real problem to me is they keep shoehorning black in there, and the midnight green is too dark to contrast properly. That, plus their insistence on wearing tacky plain white socks. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1