NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

14 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I'm pretty sure the Bengals hand-painted their helmet stripes until recently, so there was already precedent for NFL teams doing the same.

They still do hand paint them, to get technical, they tape the stripes on a black helmet and paint it orange and peel the tape off leaving the black shell underneath showing the stripes. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, dont care said:

They still do hand paint them, to get technical, they tape the stripes on a black helmet and paint it orange and peel the tape off leaving the black shell underneath showing the stripes. 

Imagine the decal disasters with all these holes in these modern helmets. 

iq5b7nF.png

I have to say, Arizona's road uniform as looked much better than I anticipated. The one thing I feared was that the shiny material would make the silver sometimes appear as white depending on lighting, but that hasn't been the case in most times I have seen highlights. It's a really nice modern iteration of a classic look -- almost how soccer teams like to re-imagine (well, kind of have to out of necessity) their iconic kit conventions, Arizona did a nice job, in hindsight, of giving us a re-imagined version of their classic look, instead of simply reverting. The choice to keep the grey facemask to bring the combo together was contrarian, but thoughtful. 

Can't say as many nice words about the home. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

9 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I have to say, Arizona's road uniform as looked much better than I anticipated. The one thing I feared was that the shiny material would make the silver sometimes appear as white depending on lighting, but that hasn't been the case in most times I have seen highlights. It's a really nice modern iteration of a classic look -- almost how soccer teams like to re-imagine (well, kind of have to out of necessity) their iconic kit conventions, Arizona did a nice job, in hindsight, of giving us a re-imagined version of their classic look, instead of simply reverting. The choice to keep the grey facemask to bring the combo together was contrarian, but thoughtful. 

Can't say as many nice words about the home. 

I simply cannot consider supporting Arizona's new set until they wear something other than monochrome.

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1

https://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=93782http://nflshop.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productImages/_633000/ff_633365_full.jpg&w=600decals

23 hours ago, dont care said:

6 hours ago, Captain Apollo said:

So a retail helmet, and one done in the 80’s that a believe still is painted just with a latex paint just in the reverse of what it is today. Regardless they don’t use decals today.

On 11/29/2023 at 7:32 AM, BBTV said:

Basically, I'm not even sure if the original uniforms that they were trying to emulate, matched the official color specs - or that they even cared, and only really enforced the color specs for graphics and print.  They changed those uniforms and colors in '96, right around the time when the retail market was starting to explode, more color-reproduction methods were in use, and when teams were having legit branding firms come up with full "systems", rather than Bill the Assistant Equipment Manager drawing a logo on a cocktail napkin and taking it down to the local sporting goods distributer and saying "put this on a green jersey with block numbers - thanks!"

I think there's something to this. There were a few teams that went surprisingly deep on not really managing their branding. The football Cardinals were another. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The only reason I want to see Arizona keep the red pants is for the cold temperature/snow away games to pair with the road jersey. It is a nice look and allows for some level of visibility while watching. That Buffalo game with the Colts in all white was a nightmare to watch. 

jOfO5Rh.pngaYLRFMy.png1FNdgQe.png

I just saw another punter wearing a higher number (than 19). It seems the NFL is quietly allowing this to compensate for the new numbering rules making the lower numbers more sought after.  It also reminded of one of my earliest memories of sports uniform nerdery and thinking how cool it was that Pat McInally and Bob Parsons wore numbers that receivers usually wore.

Speaking of nerdery... McInally is the still the only player in NFL history to score a perfect 50 wonderlic.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• WOAH 1

Eagles have had at least two position players fill in as kicker:

efbd8ix6puxgiqep4xpz

philadelphia-pa-mark-simoneau-of-the-phi

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."