2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

13 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Don't forget the most notorious one-ring winner of them all: Mark Rypien... 

Phil Simms and him have so much in common.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

56 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The top free agent QBs are Teddy Bridgewater, Carson Wentz, Joshua Dobbs and.....Matt Ryan?

Speaking of FAQBs, does Mariotta have anything to offer if he has to play?  I remember the Eagles (more specifically, Chip Kelly) trying real-ass hard to draft him back in the day, so I think it was almost destiny that he'd end up here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

37 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Speaking of FAQBs, does Mariotta have anything to offer if he has to play?  I remember the Eagles (more specifically, Chip Kelly) trying real-ass hard to draft him back in the day, so I think it was almost destiny that he'd end up here.

From some of the Atlanta games that I saw, he did a lot of dink and dunk passes, but is mobile enough.  Minshew is better, but he's in Indy now.  

His replacement, Taylor Heinicke says that Atlanta told him when he was talking to them that he was to be the backup to Desmond Ridder.  

Also, I could see Kansas City signing a veteran free agent.  They need to replace two time Super Bowl Champion Chad Henne.  Matt Ryan seems like an Andy Reid type of QB, but he may not want to play anymore.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BBTV said:

An ability to move when the pocket breaks down, and he's big enough to still knock defenders over. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

I thought it was lame when Packers fans disowned Favre and pretended that he was never that good anyway and that Rodgers was the real GOAT, Packers and maybe ever. That's not the way I remembered the Favre years. But now it's happening again, where Rodgers is somehow being framed as an encumbrance to the team. It's a 180 from when it was all the coaches and office men who were the ones making the least of their HoF quarterback.

Me, I'm placing the Packers' underachievement squarely on the shoulders of one man: a Mr. Ron Diertzke of Menomonee Falls. He knows what he did. 

I tend to agree with this. The Packers are essentially just another organization that happens to have had hall-of-famers under center for 30 years. Nothing else (coaching, player personnel, etc.) was anything special.  Favre and Rodgers were the reason that they went into every season with a chance to come out as champs. If they start to have the QB situations of most teams, they'll probably just be another team making the playoffs three or four times a decade.

The idea that either QB stopped them from winning more is laughable.  

As a fan of a division rival, I assume that Jordan Love is going to extend the hall-of-famers-under-center streak another 10 to 15 years. Even though I remember the 1980s, it's really hard to imagine the Packers entering a season as a non-contender.

PS: Please give me a 25-year stretch with two championships. I'll take that disappointment any time.

• Like 10

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 3/17/2023 at 2:06 PM, OnWis97 said:

I tend to agree with this. The Packers are essentially just another organization that happens to have had hall-of-famers under center for 30 years. Nothing else (coaching, player personnel, etc.) was anything special.  Favre and Rodgers were the reason that they went into every season with a chance to come out as champs. If they start to have the QB situations of most teams, they'll probably just be another team making the playoffs three or four times a decade.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I used to think about the Packers as a model organization because, well, look at the Bears. That and it was of a kind with Chicago teams perpetually getting owned by smarter organizations in smaller markets* (Cardinals, Twins, Red Wings). But thinking about it more, you're right, the Packers really haven't been one of those operations that just does all the little things right. If anything, they've probably done a lot of little things wrong and only got the big thing right. Ron Wolf was good, but Sherman and McCarthy were dolts, Holmgren's coaching tree is nothing special, and they don't seem to unearth hidden gems at an appreciably higher rate than what every NFL team has to do these days. There was a lot of LeBron Jamesian "Aaron Rodgers cannot fail, he can only be failed" talk out there, and I sorta wrote that off all this time because I couldn't imagine the Packers organization as anything but hypercompetent. That's what observing the Bears'll do to ya!

*EDIT: That and the whole Green Bay thing in specific. You can't help but suspend disbelief and assume that the ol' small-town not-for-profit is getting by with cleverness and sheer gumption, forgetting that NFL revenues prevent them from resembling the Oakland A's in anything but color scheme

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 minutes ago, LMU said:

He's 3/4th's of the way from collecting every Big 4 team in every NFC East city!  He already owns the Philadelphia 76ers, who play in the same city as the Eagles, and the New Jersey Devils, who are in the same metro area as the New York Giants and now the Washington Commanders (if this is true).

3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

By the way, is this an account with any value? I just noticed the random underscore at the end of it, as well as this news not being reported elsewhere. 

Looks like its blue check is due to it paying for it, rather than being one of the legacy accounts that were actually verified.

If it goes through (and it's reasonable to assume it'll be Harris, whether sooner or later), Harris will own the Sixers, Devils, and Commanders.  If you're a fan of multiple teams in either of those cities, doesn't that tick you off some?  That the money you're pumping into the Sixers could be indirectly helping the Devils?  Or that while you're rooting for the Flyers and Sixers, the Sixers owner is actively trying to bury the Flyers?  I know this isn't a unique situation, albeit I can't think of another owner with three teams each in rival cities.

3 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Looks like its blue check is due to it paying for it, rather than being one of the legacy accounts that were actually verified.

If it goes through (and it's reasonable to assume it'll be Harris, whether sooner or later), Harris will own the Sixers, Devils, and Commanders.  If you're a fan of multiple teams in either of those cities, doesn't that tick you off some?  That the money you're pumping into the Sixers could be indirectly helping the Devils?  Or that while you're rooting for the Flyers and Sixers, the Sixers owner is actively trying to bury the Flyers?  I know this isn't a unique situation, albeit I can't think of another owner with three teams each in rival cities.

It would completely bother me if I were a fan of one of those teams.

It's where I sit.

21 minutes ago, BBTV said:

It would be a 4th if the Texas Rangers were ever for sale and he buys them.  This seems unlikely to happen though.  It seems like both the Nats and Angels are off the market for now, so no Major League Baseball for Harris unless he wants to join his partner with the Devils and 76ers, David Blitzer in buying a piece of the Cleveland Guardians.  

Also if the sale goes through (and it seems likely now), the NFL is going to want to see which POC will join the Harris group.  The Walton-Penner group who got the Broncos added Condeleeza Rice, Melody Hobson and Lewis Hamilton.  

1 minute ago, See Red said:

This doesn't make sense to me. Feel like he could've gotten a lot more. 

He had been tweeting (and deleting) about being "disrespected" on the market.  What shocks me is that the Eagles wouldn't bring him back at that price, unless he left out of spite.  I expect the Eagles to either sign Jalen Mills or draft someone, which is risky since they'll already have an inexperienced guy taking over for Marcus Epps.