2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

2 hours ago, See Red said:

This doesn't make sense to me. Feel like he could've gotten a lot more. 

Doesn't have to make sense. But love this signing. This defense will look scarier and I love it. 

I think this may be one of those cases of the agent screwing his client.  Agent misread the market, client felt disrespected by the offers, ended up signing a lower "prove it" deal than what he could have got to stay on a much better team (not that Detroit won't be good this year, but probably not elite.)

His agent is putting out all kinds of info, which 1) agents really shouldn't do since they still have to work with all these teams, and 2) will only be the information that supports the advice he gave his client.

Everyone here was getting on Howie for not using the franchise tag, but it turns out he read the market perfectly.  The problem was that the agent told CJGJ that he was worth more, so the Eagles moved on and resigned Bradbury (which was a big surprise) and reworked Slay, knowing they'd lose everyone else due to the (yet to be done) Hurts deal.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When has an agency ever done this?  It seems like they're really on the defensive (and leaving out a ton of context.)  Insiders are saying that the Eagles offered what ended up being a better multi-year deal with something like 16-20 guaranteed, and he said "nah I'm worth more", then by the time he realized there was no market for a safety (even one that lead the league in picks despite missing multiple games), he came back but the Eagles had already spent that money, so they made another multi-year offer and he walked away for less (no idea if it was this deal that the agency posted... this one doesn't really make any sense and as mentioned, leaves out some important details.)

But really - do you want your agency tweeting out details like this?  Even if the player is behind it, shouldn't the agency be like "bro, we have to negotiate for you again next season and nobody's going to talk to us knowing we leak details"?

CJGJ played himself.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, Gary said:

Or he may have seen something in Detroit that made him sign the 1 year deal.

Nope. According to "insiders", he had his "agency" go back to the Eagles with one last try, but they had already spent his money since he said no to a better deal before FA started.  He deleted some tweets which indicate he's not thrilled with how this worked out.  

A few ex-players were on the radio today saying that they'd fire their agency immediately if they put any information like that out there on social media, and how it's an agency's job to properly predict the market so a player can make an informed decision.  In this case, that agent completely messed up, and the Eagles were right.  He played himself.

I don't have any ill will for him leaving - he didn't really want to, and honestly he only played her one season and was very good, but not a superstar.  And the Eagles only got him a week before the season since New Orleans knew they weren't going to sign him to an extension.  There will be another CJGJ - he's not a unicorn.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PittsburghSucks said:

He's linked to the Lions. Being a diehard Lions fan, I really don't want  him here. Sounds like a primadonna that Just wants nothing more than his payday. They have a blueprint of guys who want to win.

I can't find his salary online (I hate the modern SEO-designed internet) but I saw something on Reddit that pointed out that while other teams have gone all-in on supporting players while the QB is on a below-market deal, the Ravens have not.

Why is Baltimore never linked to guys like Diggs or Hopkins or OBJ or any other high-profile WR? Some people say it's because playing with Lamar isn't fun since the offense runs through him, but there's a bit of chicken and egg there.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Gary said:

Sounds like a primadonna that Just wants nothing more than his payday.

I don't blame a guy for wanting to cash in while he can.  Why shouldn't he want his payday?  That's literally why they play professional football, and even if you're paid well for the job you're doing, if you found out that the guy who was just hired to sit next to you and do the same job was being paid significantly more, well he set the market and you're within your rights to want more (which in the corporate world typically requires that you move on to a new company.)

What I do blame him for is what seems to be a poor understanding of the business and his true value, and an acceptance that the Browns are the exception and not the rule when it comes to handing out unwarranted guarantees.

Of course... he's also the same guy that said he was going to change jersey numbers after his first SB win so that the Ravens would have to retire two... so maybe he is childish?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I can't find his salary online (I hate the modern SEO-designed internet) but I saw something on Reddit that pointed out that while other teams have gone all-in on supporting players while the QB is on a below-market deal, the Ravens have not.

Why is Baltimore never linked to guys like Diggs or Hopkins or OBJ or any other high-profile WR? Some people say it's because playing with Lamar isn't fun since the offense runs through him, but there's a bit of chicken and egg there.

Please name a successful WR who has developed in Baltimore. That might provide your answer.

Baltimore's offense revolves around the running game, not the passing game. If you are a WR (and it should be unstated, but I'm saying it anyway) and want to catch 100 passes per year, that isn't the offense to showcase your skills.

It's where I sit.

26 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Please name a successful WR who has developed in Baltimore. That might provide your answer.

Baltimore's offense revolves around the running game, not the passing game. If you are a WR (and it should be unstated, but I'm saying it anyway) and want to catch 100 passes per year, that isn't the offense to showcase your skills.

Fair enough.

But Baltimore has been saving a ton on QB salary over the years; where have they spent that money?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Fair enough.

But Baltimore has been saving a ton on QB salary over the years; where have they spent that money?

Defense? Running game?

There is no salary floor. Over a rolling 5 year period, teams have to spend a set percentage of the cap to comply. I think it's 85%. Maybe they don't spend it -- I don't know. The fact that they don't seem to run into cap hell might mean that they spend wisely, and aren't throwing big bucks around -- that's actually a sound plan.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

It's been mentioned already but yeah, Baltimore doesn't really value the WR position like other teams do. I would actually go deeper into it in how they are run as a franchise, dating back to when they came into the league. They have put more effort into forming elite defenses, along with RB investment. I don't ever recall them having a great receiver, or even developing one (Anquan Boldin was pretty good, but not great; Steve Smith was old at the time).

I know they've been considered among the class of the AFC in the past fifteen years, but their treatment of the WR position is still a glaring weakness.

• Like 3