2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

54 minutes ago, dont care said:
1 hour ago, Unocal said:

Does the NL 6 seed have magical powers?

Will anything ever make you happy. I’ve never seen you actually enjoy sports. You are such a miserable waste of space you ruin the experience for everyone else who enjoys sports and entertainment. 

How was @Unocal's post above a hateful one? 

The bottom seed in the NL has made the World Series twice in the last two seasons. He was entirely accurate with his comment.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

7 hours ago, dont care said:

Will anything ever make you happy. I’ve never seen you actually enjoy sports. You are such a miserable waste of space you ruin the experience for everyone else who enjoys sports and entertainment. 

That's a bit harsh, he was asking if the 6 seed has magical powers, which is a fair question, Because the last two 6 seeds made the World Series 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 1:54 PM, McCall said:

Hey, the "best" division in baseball, the AL East, only has one of their 3 teams remaining and that may only be because they haven't played yet. Plus the Cardinals, last place in the NL Central, went 11-4 against the beasts of the (AL) East in the regular season.

And 1 Rangers win away from the entire AL East going 0-fer

7 hours ago, Unocal said:

Why doesn't MLB reseed?

Like, shouldn't it be Dodgers/Phillies and Braves/DBacks?

I guess they like having a simple bracket and sticking with it, like the NCAA tournament.  It's more conducive to gambling pools, though I don't know anyone that does brackets for MLB like many people do for NCAAB.  I can't think of any other great reason for it.

I know the Braves dog fans (when not "chopping" and throwing trash all over the outfield) have been whining about reseeding, and I happen to agree that the top seed should always have the "easiest" path (though how'd that work out last year?)

A couple of years ago when they were debating the new format, I could swear that one of the ideas that made it to the finish line was having the two teams with byes actually select their opponents, which would have created all kinds of fun.  Imagine if that system was used in other sports and there was a playoff "draft"?  The top NFC seed could draft the Vikings as their opponent (for the guaranteed win), the #2 seed could draft Dallas (LOL), and so on an so on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The main thing I don't get about the playoff schedule is how they come up with game times.

There's no way a playoff game should be starting at 5:07 PM.  It's not an east-coast / west-coast thing, since the same situation is happening today and it's 6:07 / 9:07 for the start times, but for some reason they bumped the Phillies up to 5:07 on Wednesday (but then 6:07 again on Thursday).

It's like MLB goes out of its way to make things as hard as possible on fans.  I think last year the Phillies/Cardinals opened the WC round (or maybe it was game 2?) at 2PM, which was simply awful.  I'm not sure how that adds any more TV viewers than simply taking advantage of all the available cable networks in the evening, since (while I haven't looked at the numbers), I imagine the eyeballs on screens would net out to be similar (maybe even more, since I'd wager that most fans of an NL team are watching even a single inning of whoever a team like the Twins is playing in the WC round, and vice versa).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

28 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

At some point, you have to beat the other good teams. Re-seeding is just another thing to grouse about, IMO.

Absolutely, though in MLB's case, a top team would probably rather play a best-of-7 series against the next best team rather than a best-of-5 where there's a little more randomness or less room for error.

If I'm the Braves right now, I'd much rather play the Phillies in a best-of-7 than 5.  

I don't think any of the other leagues have a playoff format where each round increases in length like MLB's that goes from 3-5-7-7 (or 0-5-7-7 if you're the #1 or #2.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

At some point, you have to beat the other good teams. Re-seeding is just another thing to grouse about, IMO.

I would much rather see the potential matchup between the two best teams be held until the conference/league finals, to earn a chance for the finals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I just think highest seed vs lowest seed feels more fair ala the NFL or the NHL in the 2000s

the 2012 LA Kings beat 3 division winners en route to the Cup.

Without reseeding, they face 4 seed Nashville in round 2 instead of the super gauntlet

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

I would much rather see the potential matchup between the two best teams be held until the conference/league finals, to earn a chance for the finals.

the NHL’s current format no longer makes it possible for the 2 best teams in a division AND conference to play in round 3

imagine that 1994 Devils/Rangers 7 game classic if it was in round 2 instead of for the SCF

It almost feels like it makes rounds 1-2 more must see than the conference finals

I never minded it for Wild Card Weekend because of the byes, but once you have a full bracket set, it should stay in place. I never liked the reseeding in the NHL.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

Dodgers are really gonna do this again, huh? 

Against a team that literally would have missed the playoffs if the Cubs bullpen in September was average (ARZ had 1 more win than the Cubs).

(That's not complaining, it's the truth. ARZ won 84 games, CHC won 83)

• Love 1

Regarding re-seeding, it's a pretty quick turnaround from wild-card to LDS.  My guess is re-seeding is off the table because suppose Texas swept Tampa Bay but the Twins and Toronto had gone to a 3rd game. Then Texas has to wait for the result of that game before they know where to go. Add the possibility of rain and it's probably not worth it logistically. I suppose you could argue that the Orioles have earned the right to play the lower seed and tough crap to the wild card team that has to wait on its travel plans but I don't think that's a great approach (add to that that the Twins actually have the worst record of the bunch and then we'll start splitting hairs on how they seed and argue whether the O's have the right to face them or if their division championship gives them the right to skip the O's and we'll soon see that we may as well pick seeding out of a hat).

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)