2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

15 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Devil's advocate here....this may have something to do with the Adidas deal ending this upcoming season for production purposes.

I found the pregame warmup jerseys mostly stupid, and in alot of cases, not needed. They can just project goofy crap on the ice if they really want to do anything for a themed night instead of wasting money producing silly versions of jerseys.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

i swear, nobody hates the nhl more than the people who run it.

They’ll still have the theme nights. Warm up jerseys were always a ridiculous idea in hindsight, especially if the league’s most prominent reporters were advocating players be banned, arrested, and deported for not wearing the warm up jersey. Seinfeld’s “Who’s not wearing the ribbon?” episode was spot on in this case. 

Fans will just have to donate to charities without expecting something in return. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

They’ll still have the theme nights. Warm up jerseys were always a ridiculous idea in hindsight, especially if the league’s most prominent reporters were advocating players be banned, arrested, and deported for not wearing the warm up jersey. Seinfeld’s “Who’s not wearing the ribbon?” episode was spot on in this case. 

Fans will just have to donate to charities without expecting something in return. 

One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes 😆

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Dislike 1

From a design point of view, I think getting rid of theme warm up jerseys is good. Every single one of them looked the same apart from a colour swap and special logo for some on a generic Adidas practice jersey template. There are better ways of supporting various causes off the ice and I think a lot of teams already do that. I mean if they REALLY want to do a theme jersey, I don't see what they can't and just not wear it on ice. Sell it at the games and donate all proceeds to a charity that supports the theme. 

Do I agree with banning them over the 1% of players who kicked up a stink and hid behind their "religious beliefs"? No.

I am glad that they chose to do a blanket ban on ALL theme jerseys though.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Devil's advocate here....this may have something to do with the Adidas deal ending this upcoming season for production purposes.

Teams are still going to be allowed to produce & sell special event jerseys, they just won’t be worn by players pre-game. 

4 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

I found the pregame warmup jerseys mostly stupid, and in alot of cases, not needed. They can just project goofy crap on the ice if they really want to do anything for a themed night instead of wasting money producing silly versions of jerseys.

After warm ups they players generally would sign the jerseys & they’d get auctioned off for charity. The league decided to take money out of the pockets of some great causes just to avoid upsetting the homophobic apple cart. 

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Seinfeld’s “Who’s not wearing the ribbon?” episode was spot on in this case. 

That Seinfeld analogy is completely overused & isn’t at all relevant. People seem to forget that in that episode Kramer was actually doing the AIDS walk. It’s not like Provorov & the Staals were marching in the Pride parade without a jersey on. 

And there is zero percent chance that the charities are able to bring in the same money without having signed jerseys to auction off. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 4

10 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

And there is zero percent chance that the charities are able to bring in the same money without having signed jerseys to auction off. 

“I want to support the charities, but what’s in it for me?” is always a weird argument from “altruistic” people. 

• Meh 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

“I want to support the charities, but what’s in it for me?” is always a weird argument from “altrustic” people. 

Well I hate to break it to you, but that’s how the world works. If you’re asking people to donate $500 to a charity, or you’re asking them to spend $500 on a jersey with the proceeds going to charity, what do you think is more likely to get people to open their wallets?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Well I hate to break it to you, but that’s how the world works. If you’re asking people to donate $500 to a charity, or you’re asking them to spend $500 on a jersey with the proceeds going to charity, what do you think is more likely to get people to open their wallets?

Keep thinking that one over. 

And I hate to break it to you, but some people don’t like being coerced into doing stuff. That’s just how the world works. 

Several teams didn’t wear Pride jerseys last year…including one of Canada’s biggest teams (if not the biggest)…and actually even your Senators didn’t wear warm up jerseys…and the world carried on just fine and everyone forgot about it a week later. 

Every team held a Pride night with hundreds of Pride-themed celebrations and events and other Pride collectibles. Those aren’t going away…you have to incredibly neurotic to see a list like that and claim “the league is losing to the homophobes”

• Like 2
  • Yawn 3
  • Dislike 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

And I hate to break it to you, but some people don’t like being coerced into doing stuff. That’s just how the world works. 

Oh no, we really need to be going out of our way to protect the fragile masculinity of a handful of bigots who don’t like being told to respect people. 

I’ve used this example before, but what do you think would happen if an MLB player refused to wear 42 on Jackie Robinson Day? Do you think the commissioner would just scrap players wearing the number altogether?

• Like 11
  • Yawn 3
  • Dislike 2

32 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Oh no, we really need to be going out of our way to protect the fragile masculinity of a handful of bigots who don’t like being told to respect people. 

I’ve used this example before, but what do you think would happen if an MLB player refused to wear 42 on Jackie Robinson Day? Do you think the commissioner would just scrap players wearing the number altogether?

I think this is comparing apples to oranges a bit. What makes this a bit different is that the players that don't want to wear the uniforms are doing so mostly because of religious beliefs. Whether or not you agree with those religious beliefs doesn't matter. They have the right to those beliefs under the First Amendment. So what you call bigotry is just the belief system of their religion. 

I'm not arguing for or against the NHL's decision to not do warmup jerseys. I'm claim zero religious beliefs so this statement isn't coming from an uber-Christian point of view.  But you have players from Russian background, Christian backgrounds, etc that have the right to their beliefs. 

Full disclosure here: I don't care what people do in the bedroom. Have a great time as long as everyone is consenting and of age. But I've never understood why an arena of people would need to celebrate that by wearing pride jerseys. Especially when half of the stadium is children who should be more concerned about picking up a bobble head than celebrating people's sexual orientation. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Major League Baseball gave the option to players to wear BLM patches in 2020...and luckily, those who didn't weren't lambasted for being a raging bigot and racist (or maybe they were but that animosity didn't really last very long). Players weren't coerced to wear one. They don't wear them anymore but I don't think it's because the league is losing out to the right-wing fringe.  

Not every NFL player who changed their rear bumper decal from "Black Lives Matter" in 2020 to "Inspire Change" or whatever in the following years is suddenly against the idea that Black Lives Matter. 

The Jackie Robinson celebration is a bit different because those jersey are worn during actual games...players get paid during actual games. The celebration was likely approved through collective bargaining, just like ads were approved by MLBPA.  I would bet not everyone wears a 42 shirt or jersey during BP every April 15th, nor do I think anyone is forced to wear something during BP. And the tribute to Jackie is a bit different because Jackie didn't require everyone to accept or champion him. I don't think Jackie ever required MLB to celebrate him after he retired. 

Tangentially, I don't think the NFL should have salute to service month...and I really don't care for most of the military tributes on uniforms or the redesigned logos...and it's not because I hate the military. I just think it's played out.  Nobody's going to think less or more of the military no matter what the NFL or a college football team wears.  I couldn't give two :censored:s if hockey players didn't wear military warm up jerseys in the NHL. I think it's silly they're included in EA's NHL game. 

I would, however, be really creeped out if NHL reporters said a player should be banned, arrested, and/or deported if a player didn't participate in a military appreciation warm up night. 

• Like 3
  • Meh 1

35 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

I think this is comparing apples to oranges a bit. What makes this a bit different is that the players that don't want to wear the uniforms are doing so mostly because of religious beliefs. Whether or not you agree with those religious beliefs doesn't matter. They have the right to those beliefs under the First Amendment. So what you call bigotry is just the belief system of their religion. 

I'm not arguing for or against the NHL's decision to not do warmup jerseys. I'm claim zero religious beliefs so this statement isn't coming from an uber-Christian point of view.  But you have players from Russian background, Christian backgrounds, etc that have the right to their beliefs. 

Full disclosure here: I don't care what people do in the bedroom. Have a great time as long as everyone is consenting and of age. But I've never understood why an arena of people would need to celebrate that by wearing pride jerseys. Especially when half of the stadium is children who should be more concerned about picking up a bobble head than celebrating people's sexual orientation. 

Plenty of religious groups/leaders have changed their stance on LGBTQ+ issues over the years, and I’m sure that there are more religious players who wore the jerseys than didn’t. There can be value in religious beliefs, but more often than not they get corrupted in order to justify ignorance.

And you’ve completely missed the point of the pride celebrations. It has nothing to do with “what people do in the bedroom”, it’s about acknowledging a group that’s historically been vilified by western society & generally unwelcome within the world of men’s sports. Kids don’t view it as a sexual thing in the same way that they don’t view straight couples as sexual things. It’s conservative adults who seem to keep projecting sexuality onto the whole debate. 

• Like 9
  • Yawn 1

32 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Plenty of religious groups/leaders have changed their stance on LGBTQ+ issues over the years, and I’m sure that there are more religious players who wore the jerseys than didn’t. There can be value in religious beliefs, but more often than not they get corrupted in order to justify ignorance.

And you’ve completely missed the point of the pride celebrations. It has nothing to do with “what people do in the bedroom”, it’s about acknowledging a group that’s historically been vilified by western society & generally unwelcome within the world of men’s sports. Kids don’t view it as a sexual thing in the same way that they don’t view straight couples as sexual things. It’s conservative adults who seem to keep projecting sexuality onto the whole debate. 

[MOD EDIT]

Edited by officeglenn
  • Like 1
  • Yawn 1