2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I have a feeling that these new jerseys are going to be the type that are vitriolically argued about here but your average fan will barely notice they changed. We'll see. 

Accurate. Always.

It's where I sit.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:39 AM, WSU151 said:

According to our benevolent overlord on the mothership, the Flyers sweaters will look like 80s/90s with a lot of black stripped off and they're keeping the ridiculous contrasting nameplates....

The graphic makes the new unis look like the current unis, with thicker vertical arm stripes, elimination of the white torso stripe, and a darker orange (though the design is just a projection and may not be 100% correct)

https://news.sportslogos.net/2023/03/30/flyers-reach-back-in-time-for-new-uniforms-and-colours-in-2023-24/hockey-2/

new-philadelphia-flyers-uniforms-2023-2024-sportslogosnet.jpg

Hope they don't mess this up! 🤔

spacer.png

• Like 1

º º º º

gYFfCIp.pngPtJSay1.png

Improvement. I don't care if it's recycled as long as it's good. I wish they'd kept the outline on the shoulder/sleeve stripes, but that's no loss. Just a personal nitpick. The lack of outline on the numbers is another personal nitpick of little consequence. The numbers fit inside the sleeve stripes now, so for me that evens out.

BUT THE GODDAMN NAMEPLATES.

Also, I know the unform ad discussion is tired, but honestly I don't mind it anymore as long as the ad doesn't clash with the entire uniform. Some teams get it right, but both of the Pennsylvania-based teams did not.

• Like 7

oBIgzrL.png

Overall, they are pretty okay. 

The good - The shade of orange is awesome. 

The meh - They are retaining the nameplates. I'm kind of indifferent with them.

The bad - The numbers are a solid black on white sleeves on the home jersey. The sleeve numbers are solid white on orange sleeves on the away jersey.

The ugly - The alternate abominations are still around. I get that they are waiting to change them until the Fanatics deal starts but I would have dropped them completely.

• Like 2

Overall, as a Flyers, fan, I think they're a solid B+.  I kind of liked the more vibrant orange and thought their last look was good, but the darker shade is fine by me and maybe a little easier on the eyes.  I like they kept the nameplates; I know it's controversial in the uni-sphere, but I enjoy the quirk.  I like they dropped the black outline from the yoke; flows better.  I take off points for the ad; first off, the blue contrasts, secondly, it's an ad, and lastly, it's pretty obvious form of nepotism; IBX is the Flyers new CEO's former company.  The third staying is whatever; I didn't expect a new  third, and I expect this third to be dropped next season.  

Generally speaking, a solid uniform.  The Flyers will look like the Flyers, and the biggest gripe for me is the ad...but that was always likely going to be my biggest gripe once thy added one.

I like the uniforms well enough, but I feel like they could have improved it in areas that they didn't. Like, why not keep the hem they had to mix both eras together into a single cohesive uniform?  The tiny hem stripe was like the one gripe I had with the 80's-90's Flyers jersey, and I feel the larger stripe would've balanced the top and bottom of the uniforms out better.

That, and why have single-color numbers when you have three colors? Black with orange outlines would have looked fine on the road and white with black would've looked fine on the home. It's overall an improvement since they got away from the Dayglo color, but it still could've been better.

• Like 1

They're alright. Just feels like someone was designing a throwback and stopped halfway and was like "hey, that's different..."

I like that they fixed the orange and the curve of the arm stripes, since the Adidas switch those were straight angles. But it just feels incomplete. Also not a fan of the white cuffs on the gloves still.

• Like 3