2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

Ad patch aside, the front of the uniforms look really slick, simplified, and bold. Return to the darker orange is complete home run. The back is where I cringe. The different colored nameplates don’t work with the wider shoulders and just clutter up the overall look. Sleeve numbers have grown on me since yesterday, especially the solid black on the home jersey

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Prior orange > newer orange. That is all. 

(Oh and single-layer sleeve numbers are booboo.)

• Like 5
  • Dislike 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On the Flyers new home and away unis:

Overall, I feel the the design is incomplete and close to a really good set that combines different eras of the teams history.

On the plus side is the new color orange. It gives more contrast to the jersey's white elements.

For negatives (and more of my personal design pet peeves), the inconsistent number outlines between sleeve and back numbers (pick to outline or not, just not both), and road name plate (the home name plate works due to its historical nature, but up until the last jersey redesign the Flyers have never had a contrasting name plate on their white jersey).

Kind of wish the incorporated black in the socks.

FWIW, my favorite Flyers uniform is the '97-'01 'Lindros' era.

• Like 1

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

I like that the numbers don't overlap the sleeve stripes anymore. Still don't like the nameplates but at this point they've made it their gimmick so whatever.

--

The Ducks just posted this, giving us a look at their 30th Anniversary patch on the home jersey and pretty much confirming no major changes this year, unless there's some sort of throwback or other anniversary jersey planned. Oh and there's an ad now too. Yay.

• Like 1
  • Hurl 3

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Weirdly enough, I'm actually fine with the single color shoulder numbers on the Flyers' orange jersey, but on the white jersey they look awful. Something about the black on white looks much more substantial than the white on orange.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

I like that the numbers don't overlap the sleeve stripes anymore. Still don't like the nameplates but at this point they've made it their gimmick so whatever.

--

The Ducks just posted this, giving us a look at their 30th Anniversary patch on the home jersey and pretty much confirming no major changes this year, unless there's some sort of throwback or other anniversary jersey planned. Oh and there's an ad now too. Yay.

Still amazes me the Samuelis stuck with those jerseys for another year, and probably no changes after the adidas deal expires. The look has some local brand equity as practice rinks have a derivative version of it…but it’s just so early 2010s and everyone wants 90s lol

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

--

Look everyone, we made the worst jerseys in hockey, EVEN WORSE!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

sig.png

On 6/20/2023 at 8:51 AM, JohnnyCowboy5 said:

Alright I've sat back on these for a couple days now. 

Things the new uniforms do right/good/better(?):

• The thicker shoulder stripe is a better look. The number not fitting inside the stripe always bugged me. 
  • I'm still not 100% sold on the new hem stripe, but the bottom of the jersey, from the sleeves to the hem feels much more cohesive now. 
  • The collar going all black also helps tie things together. 

Things that maybe don't work as well: 

• The single layer numbers on the sleeves I'm not sold on. Historical precedent, yes. Does it look good? I don't think so
  • I know the gloves had a white cuff starting last season (I think) but they still don't fit the previous look and the new one. 
  • Keeping the Stadium Series alt. Just let it die already. 
  • Also, changing the hem makes the socks feel really out of place now. 

I've already made my feelings known about the nameplates so not gonna bring those up. And I'll reserve final judgement until they hit the ice in them, which is why I didn't talk about the shade of orange. 

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

The Flyers' old captain letters, where you had single-layer black on a white background or black surrounded by white on an orange background, do make the case for those white contrasting nameplates I love so much I'M JUST SAYING DON'T GET MAD

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

58 minutes ago, BuckDancer said:

Didn't even realize they didn't update the socks. Looks terrible now. Would it have killed them to  add a black stripe that goes all the way to the bottom of the sock?

The sock striping going all the way down to the ankles is a terrible 90s trend (started by the Ducks and Panthers in 1993-94) that needed to die 15 years ago. It looks inferior to traditional mid-sock stripes 90% of the time but especially on white away uniforms as the players look like they're wearing knee high socks with short shorts. /rant

Should I post this in the unpopular opinions thread? lol

6 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

The sock striping going all the way down to the ankles is a terrible 90s trend (started by the Ducks and Panthers in 1993-94) that needed to die 15 years ago. It looks inferior to traditional mid-sock stripes 90% of the time but especially on white away uniforms as the players look like they're wearing knee high socks with short shorts. /rant

Should I post this in the unpopular opinions thread? lol

I think it's a fine look if it matches the jersey striping. Colorado, Anaheim, Coyotes, Nashville, Vegas, Seattle, NYR Lady Liberty, ect. The only team I think it doesn't look that good on is the Capitals. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Flyers' old captain letters, where you had single-layer black on a white background or black surrounded by white on an orange background, do make the case for those white contrasting nameplates I love so much I'M JUST SAYING DON'T GET MAD

They don’t match the contrasting nameplates on the white jersey though. They match the logo, which also happens to be a black letter outlined in white. 

10 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Has there been any indication of what the captain’s patches will look like? Hopefully they go back to the black letters outlined in white on both jerseys.

Probably the same as before. They don't have any captains, just alternates, and they don't plan to name a captain this upcoming season either.

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

i swear, nobody hates the nhl more than the people who run it.

Devil's advocate here....this may have something to do with the Adidas deal ending this upcoming season for production purposes.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2