2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

12 hours ago, _RH_ said:

Pitt's khakis are bad, agreed.  The other set they won it isn't much better IMO:

Stanley Cup bracket: When a team last repeated as Stanley Cup Champions and  how many times it has happened - DraftKings Nation

To put these anywhere close to the edge era is absolute blasphemy. Perfect? No. The best the Pens ever had? Maybe, maybe not. There's an argument to be had. But only a little better than the edge?  I am so thankful the Crosby, Malkin, and Letang era won't be synonymous with those rags.

I know I've probably said this before, but if you take away red and make a few other tweaks to Vegas's uniforms, you get what the Vegas gold era Penguins always should have been.

• Like 11

oBIgzrL.png

14 hours ago, _RH_ said:

Original Golden Knights key part of Vegas' Stanley Cup run - Barrie News

Well I guess I'm in the minority ... I see 12 likes for Anaheim's tiny logo being worse than VGK.  I'll respectfully fully disagree.  Sure that logo needed to be bigger and it was boring and BFBS (and even worse when you consider they should've been in their eggplant/jade) but man...these gold jerseys are way worse!  the colors are better but man the striping is just all over the place!

I think I dislike Anaheim's more, but I will agree with you (and we seem to be in the minority). As time goes on, the VGK arm striping bothers me more and more. I said it earlier on the thread, but that red stripe makes zero sense. Hell the white barely makes sense. Gold, black, and charcoal is all they need on that sweater. If you must enter either white or red or both, then at least do it in a way that is cohesive throughout the sweater. 

The gold doesn't bother me. Its the fact that they just used the original sweater design and paint bucketed the colors around to make a gold version that bothers me. It just doesn't work for some reason. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chromatic said:

As far as "worst uniforms to lift the cup" I think a lot of people are sleeping on this

Alexander Ovechkin, captain of the Washington Capitals, lifts the Stanley Cup trophy on June 7, 2018.

Yes it is associated with the best era in Capitals history, but its still not a good uniform imho.

The only thing more tired than this uniform is the argument that a Washington team must wear Red, White and Blue Navy.  Their recent resurrection of their mid 90's colour scheme & logo resulted in the fastest selling Reverse Retro of the recent batch...  The Capitals made a huge mistake, in 2007, trying to modernize a design that was never particularly strong to begin with and it's a shame the pinnacle of their franchise will forever be associated with it.  The Adidas template improved it a little bit but it still looks like a dated relic of the late 2000's.  The conclusion of the Ovechkin era gives them a great opportunity for a much needed rebrand.

• Like 7
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

The only thing more tired than this uniform is the argument that a Washington team must wear Red, White and Blue Navy.  Their recent resurrection of their mid 90's colour scheme & logo resulted in the fastest selling Reverse Retro of the recent batch...  The Capitals made a huge mistake, in 2007, trying to modernize a design that was never particularly strong to begin with and it's a shame the pinnacle of their franchise will forever be associated with it.  The Adidas template improved it a little bit but it still looks like a dated relic of the late 2000's.  The conclusion of the Ovechkin era gives them a great opportunity for a much needed rebrand.

I would go as far as to say, the Caps have never had a good look.   Take off the 90's nostalgia and the screagle was ruined by terrible wordmarks on the striping, and  over-reliance on black.   They are better off starting from scratch IMO.   

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, infernoqueso said:

I would go as far as to say, the Caps have never had a good look.   Take off the 90's nostalgia and the screagle was ruined by terrible wordmarks on the striping, and  over-reliance on black.   They are better off starting from scratch IMO.   

The Caps only went black-heavy once they made what was their alternate their primary, and even then that was only during like the last two or three years of that branding life. 

Now, the scripts on the blue sweaters I'll give you—I could take or leave those—but as far as everything else, it had about 100 scoops more character than the current sets, in every way. Now I get the typeface/font wasn't everyone's cup of tea—how many of those unique fonts from the 90s were?—but I always appreciated the tie-in that font had with what's printed on U.S. currency notes, which gave it even more of a "federal" feel. (Looking back, though, it could've probably used a modest retooling.) 

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I think I dislike Anaheim's more, but I will agree with you (and we seem to be in the minority). As time goes on, the VGK arm striping bothers me more and more. I said it earlier on the thread, but that red stripe makes zero sense. Hell the white barely makes sense. Gold, black, and charcoal is all they need on that sweater. If you must enter either white or red or both, then at least do it in a way that is cohesive throughout the sweater. 

The gold doesn't bother me. Its the fact that they just used the original sweater design and paint bucketed the colors around to make a gold version that bothers me. It just doesn't work for some reason. 

without that red pop of color the knights would be almost as dull as the kings current black and white or the just mentioned and much maligned pittsburgh edge-era or tiny anaheim. 

it gives the set some life and contrast and ties in to the excellent secondary logo that would otherwise look a little too out of place without the stripe. I like to think of it as some type of armband or pauldron akin to a ceremonial/decorative cape if we are applying this to the features of an actual knight. the gold and red together is just very regal. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

I know it's only a tribute to the Nuggets, but i wouldn't mind seeing an alternate logo/jersey with these colors, i like how the yellow pops without being too agressive.

Peut être une image de hockey

spacer.png

• LOL 7

12 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

I know it's only a tribute to the Nuggets, but i wouldn't mind seeing an alternate logo/jersey with these colors, i like how the yellow pops without being too agressive.

Peut être une image de hockey

You don't have to throw out the "it would make a good alt" stuff.

The logo looks better than what they currently use. Period.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 8

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, Patchey13 said:

Also maybe it's just nostalgia considering I was a 15 year old kid who was obsessed with Ovi, but I still LOVE that caps template. it just works for them in my opinion.

I mean, I was in that same age range when they came out and I still hate them deeply.

The Caps need a change pretty desperately, their entire identity is stuck in 2008 when everybody else but the Kings have moved past that era altogether. The pit stripes are dumb, the forearm striping is hideous and the wordmark for a primary logo just flat-out sucks; literally the only good things about the entire brand are the colors and the Weagle, and even then I'd say a brighter blue looks better for the Caps than navy; after all, the US flag isn't navy, it's a dark cyan.

They're clearly the worst uniforms in Capitals history, and it's not even a close contest. Honestly, if not for Reebok's apocalypse on NHL uniform designs with the initial lineup of Edge jerseys, I wonder if the Caps would've just done what they eventually did with the first Reverse Retro and just recolor the Screagle uniforms to be in red/white/blue instead, because it looks pretty nice;

spacer.png

There's a reason this jersey sold like crazy when it was released, after all.

• Like 11

19 hours ago, tBBP said:

The Caps only went black-heavy once they made what was their alternate their primary, and even then that was only during like the last two or three years of that branding life. 

Now, the scripts on the blue sweaters I'll give you—I could take or leave those—but as far as everything else, it had about 100 scoops more character than the current sets, in every way. Now I get the typeface/font wasn't everyone's cup of tea—how many of those unique fonts from the 90s were?—but I always appreciated the tie-in that font had with what's printed on U.S. currency notes, which gave it even more of a "federal" feel. (Looking back, though, it could've probably used a modest retooling.) 

Often forgotten, but the blue was primary for 5 seasons with the black as alternate for 3 seasons, then promoted to primary for 7 SEASONS...

17 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

This is a great compromise between era's and light-years ahead of what they use now.  The only thing I'd change is making the Stars on the Screagle copper and maybe losing the script.  Everything else is perfect...  And you couldn't really accuse them of abandoning their cup winning look completely either.

• Like 3

On 2023-06-16 at 9:55 PM, Morgan33 said:

The only thing I'd change is making the Stars on the Screagle copper and maybe losing the script. 

16 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Totally. I could live without the CAPITALS script, but that's a solid uni.

The hem trim script was removed from the white jersey for the 97-98 season.
89770417bc999e3e.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=c677

The jersey still looks great without the script.

• Like 2