2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

Well, now that Vegas done lifted Lord Stanley's Cup in those glittery gold sweaters, y'all know what that means now, right?

THEIR UNIS ARE NOW ICONIC AND CAN NEVER CHANGE!!!4321 😄

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Sad 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

14 minutes ago, Ark said:

Interesting, looking back there aren’t that many teams with bad uniforms that lifted the Cup I wonder if there is an association between bad uniforms and being a bad franchise

It's probably because for most of the sport's history, hockey jerseys have been pretty traditional design-wise. Aside from a few exceptions like the Canucks' Flying V jerseys or the Rangers' 70s sweaters, generally "bad" jerseys really only started cropping up in the 1990s and onward, and even still, those "bad" jerseys have always been outnumbered by the more traditional ones. Not to mention the subjectivity that comes with what makes a jersey or franchise "good" or "bad."

I'd say it's probably an inherent sampling bias.

41 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

It's probably because for most of the sport's history, hockey jerseys have been pretty traditional design-wise. Aside from a few exceptions like the Canucks' Flying V jerseys or the Rangers' 70s sweaters, generally "bad" jerseys really only started cropping up in the 1990s and onward, and even still, those "bad" jerseys have always been outnumbered by the more traditional ones. Not to mention the subjectivity that comes with what makes a jersey or franchise "good" or "bad."

I'd say it's probably an inherent sampling bias.

The Rangers 70s sweaters aren't even "bad", they're just a massive downgrade from their regular sets.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

Interesting, looking back there aren’t that many teams with bad uniforms that lifted the Cup I wonder if there is an association between bad uniforms and being a bad franchise

Anaheim (2007), Pittsburgh (2009 and 2016), and Washington (2018) are pretty much the only bad ones.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

As far as "worst uniforms to lift the cup" I think a lot of people are sleeping on this

Alexander Ovechkin, captain of the Washington Capitals, lifts the Stanley Cup trophy on June 7, 2018.

Yes it is associated with the best era in Capitals history, but its still not a good uniform imho. 

I don't think the design is bad, especially compared to the real Edge disasters, although I do think it would have worked better for a team like Nashville instead of the Caps. Certainly it's not an eyesore like this.

ES9Guxn.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, Ark said:

No, I don't see a correlation ... not. at. all.

376573-454x400.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

As far as "worst uniforms to lift the cup" I think a lot of people are sleeping on this

Alexander Ovechkin, captain of the Washington Capitals, lifts the Stanley Cup trophy on June 7, 2018.

Yes it is associated with the best era in Capitals history, but its still not a good uniform imho. 

Not for nothing, but: I never thought those were bad, so to speak, but I always did find them wanting--and at any rate not better than what they replaced. (Although that's an entirely subjective statement on my part, since the mid-'90s/young Ovechkin-era sets are still my favorite set of uniforms in sports history...period.)

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

24 minutes ago, kimball said:

No, I don't see a correlation ... not. at. all.

376573-454x400.jpg

Those aren't bad at all, what? If you wanted a real example of a terrible uniform coinciding with terrible teams, you had multiple far better options than that;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 6/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, Ridleylash said:

It literally just means "Canadian", there's nothing more Canadian about a lumberjack than there is about an orca; hell, by that logic their logo should be a beaver or moose, the two most quintessentially "Canadian" things of all.

I’d say that a lumberjack is a much more Canadian image than an orca.

But team logos don't always match team names, anyways; the Bruins' main logo isn't a bear, the Canadiens don't have a shred of a maple leaf or fleur-de-lis anywhere in their current brand, the Tigers just have a D as their primary logo, the Bears and Bengals have a C and B for their logos, the Clippers just have their initials as their logo, etc.

All of your examples are of teams who use letters in lieu of actual images of their nicknames. It’s not like the Bruins use a logo that’s a completely different animal. 

The stick in rink is more comparable to the Bruins or Habs logo. 

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

2 hours ago, nash61 said:

Anaheim (2007), Pittsburgh (2009 and 2016), and Washington (2018) are pretty much the only bad ones.

And of those, both Anaheim and Washington had sweaters that at least felt like hockey sweaters. That template that Pittsburgh had is by far the worst thing ever to be an NHL jersey and it’s atrocious that they won two cups in it. I’m glad 2017 was back in their classic sweaters. 

Those are by far the worst sweaters to have ever won the cup, and it’s not even close. 

• Like 5

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I don't think the design is bad, especially compared to the real Edge disasters, although I do think it would have worked better for a team like Nashville instead of the Caps. Certainly it's not an eyesore like this.

ES9Guxn.jpg

Crosby winning the Cup on Detroit's ice makes it an instant classic!

• Like 3
  • Hate 1

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Original Golden Knights key part of Vegas' Stanley Cup run - Barrie News

Well I guess I'm in the minority ... I see 12 likes for Anaheim's tiny logo being worse than VGK.  I'll respectfully fully disagree.  Sure that logo needed to be bigger and it was boring and BFBS (and even worse when you consider they should've been in their eggplant/jade) but man...these gold jerseys are way worse!  Something about that white next to gold ... blech!  I'll put Washington's into the same "meh" category as Ana.  Pitt's khakis are bad, agreed.  The other set they won it isn't much better IMO:

Stanley Cup bracket: When a team last repeated as Stanley Cup Champions and  how many times it has happened - DraftKings Nation the colors are better but man the striping is just all over the place!

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 6