2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

44 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

The Canucks released the logo for the 2023 Penticton Young Stars Classic (prospect game for the Western Canadian teams). 

I think it's pretty good. 

cut.jpg

This seems to negate any rumors of the Canucks changing, right? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

55 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

This seems to negate any rumors of the Canucks changing, right? 

Yeah, at least for next season. We'll see what happens when the switch to Fanatics takes over though. I've got both fingers crossed they won't listen to the screeching idiots haranguing about the skate.

It’s the Canucks though so I don't think there will ever be an end to the rumors of them changing, unless they keep the same look for 50 or so. 

But I also don’t want the thread to get Canuck-jacked again. The logo for the tourney itself is pretty good. Especially when you compare it to Toronto’s recent all-star logo.

• Like 2

Can we not start another damned Canucks branding tangent, please? We've run that discussion so far into the ground I think it's looped around a few times.

What they have is good, they don't need to change the most consistent branding in their 50+ year history just to appease a recent wave of nostalgia for a look that was reviled when it first came out.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 2

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Can we not start another damned Canucks branding tangent, please? We've run that discussion so far into the ground I think it's looped around a few times.

You're not wrong, but it's unlikely. It's what we do here.🤪

• LOL 1
  • Sad 1

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

What they have is good, they don't need to change the most consistent branding in their 50+ year history just to appease a recent wave of nostalgia for a look that was reviled when it first came out.

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

The Orca works. It's a solid logo and they've been relatively successful in it. Leave it alone. 

Jay Onrait from TSN nails it 110% at 5:25:

• Yawn 3

My problem is that the entire argument for Johnny is "They're the Canucks, they have to have Johnny as the logo!" and the argument for the Skate is literally just "They wore it in '94!". They're incredibly simplistic arguments that just appeal to literal interpretation or nostalgia instead of, you know, proving that they would actually be better branding than the logo they've stuck with since 1997.

The name "Canucks" is so incredibly generic that I literally cannot see why "lumberjack with a hockey stick" or "flying bowl of spaghetti in a skate shape" are apparently "more sensibly Canuck" than an orca. It literally just means "Canadian", there's nothing more Canadian about a lumberjack than there is about an orca; hell, by that logic their logo should be a beaver or moose, the two most quintessentially "Canadian" things of all.

But team logos don't always match team names, anyways; the Bruins' main logo isn't a bear, the Canadiens don't have a shred of a maple leaf or fleur-de-lis anywhere in their current brand, the Tigers just have a D as their primary logo, the Bears and Bengals have a C and B for their logos, the Clippers just have their initials as their logo, etc.

They're using Johnny as Abbotsford's identity already, they don't need it in the NHL as well just because a vocal minority won't be satisfied with literally anything but him as the Canucks' identity. And I guarantee you that the Skate nostalgia will begin wearing off soon as we transition more and more into 2000's-2010's nostalgia and see a boost of West Coast Express-era Orca nostalgia begin to take hold.

That, and people keep crying about how the Canucks have an identity crisis and keep trying to add more identities to this already-challenged franchise. Seems remarkably counter-intuitive to try and "fix" the franchise's infamous identity issue by just stacking another onto the pile in the vague hope of "maybe this one'll work" when the one they have is working perfectly for the vast majority of fans.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I can't prove this, seeing as how I'm neither a Vancouver item nor a canuck, but from what I recall reading through the Creamery way back when, the angst of those who didn't/don't care for the orca logo is sourced in why the orca is even in their logo in the first place. Kinda the same thing with the Jets' primary logo, only without anywhere near the derision.

Having said that, my personal little tidbit of an issue with the Canucks' logo/identity (not that it matters to me one way or the other since as previously mentioned I'm neither a/ a Vancouverite nor b/ a canuck) is the same one that I have with the Dallas Stars: the uniform design and the logo design don't fit together. Like, at all. Two completely different stylistic directions that don't sync. But that's just my two rusted Lincolns on the matter...

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

29 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

Will Vegas' gold jerseys be the ugliest to ever hoist the cup?  Off the top of my head, yes!

Anaheim's tiny wordmark crest sweaters in 2007 are far worse than the Knights. 

Pittsburgh's black and khaki paint-by-number color block set is a close second. 

• Like 15

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

17 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

https://media.wtsp.com/assets/WTSP/images/550849006/550849006_1140x641.jpg

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/513e03a1e4b00efcff5aa03d/1370466815456-O2YITYQ0KHHX4ESIGKZB/Anaheim_Duck_Champions_2007.jpg?format=1000w&content-type=image%2Fjpeg

I personally think Tampa Bay’s uniforms were good; it was the logo itself that stunk.

100% agreed on Anaheim though, which may very well be the worst ever. There wasn’t a single redeeming thing on that uniform, and it was made extra painful that they won the cup the very season after they ditched the eggplant and jade.

• Like 6

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

7 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I personally think Tampa Bay’s uniforms were good; it was the logo itself that stunk.

100% agreed on Anaheim though, which may very well be the worst ever. There wasn’t a single redeeming thing on that uniform, and it was made extra painful that they won the cup the very season after they ditched the eggplant and jade.

Still rather have those lightning uniforms hoisting the cup rather than the maple leaf-life ones that did later on.

• Like 10
  • LOL 1